2.5 weeks post op and not losing weight!

I'm freaking out! I'm 2.5 weeks post op. Lost 17 pounds in the first week and a half. But the last week I lost nothing. Worse: I have gained a pound!!

I don't know what to do. I'm still on a liquid diet. Eat only yoghurt and soup and mashed fruits. I take in about 700 to 800 calories a day. How is it possible i'm not losing weight!

Before the gbp i had a lapband, so i know losing weight will be slower in my case. But this is too slow!

Can anyone help me?

I'm freaking out! I'm 2.5 weeks post op. Lost 17 pounds in the first week and a half. But the last week I lost nothing. Worse: I have gained a pound!!

I don't know what to do. I'm still on a liquid diet. Eat only yoghurt and soup and mashed fruits. I take in about 700 to 800 calories a day. How is it possible i'm not losing weight!

Before the gbp i had a lapband, so i know losing weight will be slower in my case. But this is too slow!

Can anyone help me?

i dont know since you had the lap band - now you did the rny??? how much did you lose with the lap band? how much do you still need to lose? are you doing any exercise? just walking around the block even....

i am guessing you know what to do since you had the lap band but are you getting in any protein drinks? maybe you need protein

TRUST ME this is normal I think that we have ALL posted a thread JUST like this one... I know I did I hit 3 weeks and NADA I was so pissed.

You should search all the messages about this... it is so normal you can almost set your watch by it.

It will return just let your body catch its breath!

TRUST ME this is normal I think that we have ALL posted a thread JUST like this one... I know I did I hit 3 weeks and NADA I was so pissed.

You should search all the messages about this... it is so normal you can almost set your watch by it.

It will return just let your body catch its breath!

Gina: Thanks for the reply. I didn't know this was normal. Okay, i'll just be patient then.

Heather: i had the lapband for 5.5. years, lost about 88 pounds with it, but then gained 33 pounds back. I still need to loose 80... A long way to go..

I exercise every day: i walk to work. That takes about half an hour. I walk everywhere at the moment: i'm not allowed to ride my bike yet :(

I try to get in enough protein each day, but protein drinks aren't my favourite :D

Daniella, I agree with my friends above. What you are experiencing is so normal. I lost 17 lbs in the entire first month following surgery. There are plateaus at werrd times. There are still times when I don't lose for two weeks. But now I know the drill, and I keep doing what I do, and it all works out - the pounds come off.

Frustrating? You bet! Normal? YESSSSS!!!

In one word....trauma..your body has been through a major surgery and needs time to heal. I weighed in every 2 weeks for the first few months...then weekly after that. Its too emotional to get on and off all the time.

Give it some time, as long as you are following your guidelines, you will do fine.

Can anyone help me?

You almost sound exactly like meeh I also had the band before and got the rny about 6 weeks ago. the first week I loss 16 lbs the next two weeks I only lost 1 lb and another 2 weeks I lost 3 more lbs. It just seems to be slower but its happening just hang in there if you do what they tell you it will come off I don't I posted this same post like 2 days ago. PM meeh sometime I would love to chat with you. I know I am overly sensitive when I dont lose because of my past failure with the band I dunno well I wish you luck and keep up the good work

You may only be taking in 700 to 800 calories a day buy look at the carbs and sugars in the food you are eating. I know when I was on the liquid diet I was not allowed fruit mashed or whole. My nutritionist said it had to many sugars in it. We all get our own advise but I will share what his guidelines were for me. No more than 14 grams of sugar in anything I eat. No more than 25 to 30 grams of carbs a day and calories need to be no more than 1000 to 1200 a day. What kind of yogurt are you eating? Make sure it is light or carb control. The myoplex carb control chocolate fudge shakes are good. Especially when they are cold. They are the premixed ones. Only 110 calories, 4g of carbs, 17 grams of protein and 0 grams of sugar. To be exact they are called AdvantEdge carb control. Maybe you want to try that. It keeps you full and they taste yummy. It also comes in Vanilla! Keep up the good work, plateaus are hard to cope with but as with all things in life it will change day to day week to week month to month :D.

• 2 years later...

i'm 3 weeks post op-i had the gastric bypass and i am going through the exact same thing! the first week i lost 17 lbs and nothing since then. i start to worry that i'm not going to loose anymore. i didn't go through all of this for 17 lbs! i guess i will just be patient, at least i'm not the only one:);)

Cassy - most go through stalls. It's part and parcel of any weight loss programme.

• 5 months later...

I am just over 3 weeks out GBP and I lost 24 in the first 1.5 weeks and now NOTHING. I feel your pain I am frustrated too. we just have to be paitent together. It will come off.

Go to the advanced search function (upper right)

Do an advanced 'tag' search (second row- right hand column) on the tag label "Stall". Lots of reading there to show you how *normal* it is. I mean, seriously normal as in most people go through this.. it is a rare bird who does not.

• 10 years later...

I am 4 weeks post op. Lost 12 lbs befor I got home from the hospital. I was so exited. Then nothing  for a full week. The following week I lost 10 lbs. Again this past week nothing. I am consuming between 500 to 600 calories daily. I have not been able to get in the liquids well yet. Mabey 12 to 16 oz a day. I worry that this sergery is not gonna work for me. How can I not be losing. This just doesn't make sense. 

Trust me, your body is still in "freak out starvation mode", so you will have plateaus.  You must try very hard to get more liquids in.  Keep following your plan and you WILL lose.  My only regret is that I did not have my WLS sooner :)

Relax.  It is going to be fine.  Stick with your post op diet and be sure to eat lots of lean protein, drink lots of no calorie liquids, and take your vitamins.  If you do this, and carefully track your food, you will lose weight.  Weight loss stalls are very common, but they do end and when they end the weight loss tends to be quite rapid.

By the way, exercise is great for your body, but has a minor or no effect on weight loss.  So please keep on exercising, but be sure that the exercise is not causing you to eat unhealthy foods after your workouts.

Oh, and avoid the butter cookies....:D

We are here to support you.