LisaM

Not taking your supplements is NOT okay

Dyann, what about cod liver oil? A lot of people here don't seem to be taking it...do you? My surgeon recommends it daily, but it makes me so sick to my stomach that I've stopped taking it. Is there anything I can do about that?

I take a pill from GNC called multioil. It is the smallest essential fatty acid replacement out there and it has never made me sick. I used to take it twice a day, but my levels are fine and I am only on it once a day. My MD tests for fatty acid deficiencies in addition to all the others.

Beth.... B12 is OTC and I take one that is 1000mcg B12 with 100 mcg of folic acid. $10 for 90 pills from wlsvitamins.com. I am sure all the others are fine, I just like the taste of theirs and it works for me as well as their bariatric multi vitamin.

Well I did get a response from my surgeon's nutritionist. It makes sense to me why they don't put their patients on B-12 routinely but I think I will be picking some up anyway and starting it. Just sounds like a good idea.

Her reponse to my email:

"Hi Beth--

In the past, we've had patients taking B-12, iron, as well as a

general over the counter multivitamin. This was very expensive and

patients didn't comply with our recommendations which lead to much more

deficiencies than we currently have. The prenatal prescribed works well

in an alkaline environment (acidic pre surgery) so the absorption rate

is better. It also contains a higher B12 level than a straight

multivitamin. Not everyone will become B-12 deficient so we decided to closely monitor your labs and if a deficiency occurs then supplement at this

point. Let me know if this doesn't make sense. Thanks!"

In regards to dosages this is what she had to say,

"I would think taking an additional 2.4ug/day in oral supplementation, plus that found in foods, and the pre-natal would be enough."

Does that sound like an adequate dosage to those of you who are taking B-12? She also sent me TONS of information on B-12, deficiences, etc that I found quite helpful.

Thanks for bringing up this topic, Lisa...it has been very informative!

To me 2.4 micrograms doesn't sound like enough as I am taking 1000. I know it is about 13000% of the RDA, but that represents how much we really do not absorb as my levels are just in the lower normal range. I know money is an issue, but literally...90 pills for $10. $3/month if you take it every day. I take it 4-5 x's a week so it lasts me 4 months. The labwork is much more expensive then the vitamins so that doesn't make that much sense. My vitamins cost me about $15/month in total.

Here is what I take. I get it from my Mom's store, but you can order online or get at your local nutrition store that carries it. It's fast, "tiny",easy, and does not taste rotten. It's not candy tasting, but I do it first and the my vitamins and I never know it's been there. One bottle lasts forever! Beth, you NEED to be taking your B12! I take 1,000 mcg two to three times a week. You can't overdose. The body just eliminates what you don't need. It also has Folic Acid and B6 in it. So just a bonus!

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=3616

Thanks for the info, Trina. My labs are all normal and I do trust my doctor that he knows what he is doing, so I'm not worried about my B12 right now. I do think it is better to be cautious, though, so don't worry your pretty little head. I plan on adding it in. I'll be looking around to see what I can find in the stores here, just to save on shipping and handling but I'll probably be taking the 1,000 mcg twice a week.

To me 2.4 micrograms doesn't sound like enough as I am taking 1000. I know it is about 13000% of the RDA, but that represents how much we really do not absorb as my levels are just in the lower normal range. I know money is an issue, but literally...90 pills for $10. $3/month if you take it every day. I take it 4-5 x's a week so it lasts me 4 months. The labwork is much more expensive then the vitamins so that doesn't make that much sense. My vitamins cost me about $15/month in total.

Dyann, it didn't sound like enough to me either so what I plan on doing is taking the 1,000 mcg twice a week. I am watching my labs carefully...my pcp actually is checking them every 3-5 months and they are still all normal but I do think it is better to be safe, so no skin off my nose if I take a B12 supplement. Thank you for the info, I appreciate it.

I think the issue that my surgeon's office had about the cost of all of the supplements is a valid one. If you have insurance they will cover labs 100% but they don't kick anything in for OTC drugs. They were finding that people weren't taking their supplemental vitamins because the cost was an issue. I actually appreciate the fact that they take cost to the patient into consideration. They do keep a good eye on people's labs so if this seems to be working for the patients better, then good. To me though, the cost is minimal and I really don't want to take any chances so I do plan on adding the B12 in. What I do wish though is that they gave out more education on what can happen if you don't take your vitamins or if your B-12 does get low. I had some education on that but personally I don't think it was enough. They need to allow their patients to make their own decision about adding in things like B-12 but it is hard for a patient to make that decision if they haven't been educated enough. Just my thoughts on all of this. :)

I hang my head sheepishly and admit that the further out I got and the less like a GBP patient I feel..........the fewer supplements I continued. The iron deficiency showed up readily on my labwork and I did start them up immediately. :o I will take this thread as a serious reminder and warning........and I promise to get back on track with the rest of my regime. Thanks for the wake up call.

I don't sheepishly admit that I'm not taking vitamins. Granted I'm not proud of it, but I'm not ashamed either. When I'm settled here, I have a list of vitamins to get that Tracy gave me. I know the vitamin issues I can have later in life, as I see them in my mom. I have even more reason to take them now than ever. So, once I'm settled, and have some more cash, I'll be hitting up a health store.

I have such a hard time remembering to take the B12 separately. I take all the others as suggested, so thank you for letting us know you can't get too much B12. I will just add it into my daily intake and have that done!

Thank you so much -- I have been off of mine for MONTHS (vitamins, B-12, and calcium) and will start back TODAY!

Thank you for posting this.

Thank you so much -- I have been off of mine for MONTHS (vitamins, B-12, and calcium) and will start back TODAY!

Thank you for posting this.

Wow. Haven't seen you in a long time, Andy. Glad you're back. Hope you really are back on your supplements...

Jenny, darlin', there's a difference between ignoring what you need and not being able to get your supplements, and we all know it. I'm glad you're there, glad you're OK...

OK, sometimes life has some VERY weird coincidences, if you want to call them that. I've been busting people (as witness the beginning of this thread) when they don't take their supplements like they should. Here's the kicker: My two-year tests showed perfect except for one mineral. My levels of selenium were not drastically low, but lower than the expected range. And I take my supplements every day.

Looked at my multis, though, and my multivitamin only covers about 30% of my selenium needs (if I were a normal adult, which none of us are post-GBS). That is combined with the fact that selenium is mostly found in meats and cereal grains, two substances which I eat very little. Just so you know, selenium deficiency can cause muscle weakness and cardiomyopathy. I had to look up cardiomyopathy--it's the deterioration of the function of the heart muscle called the myocardium.

So, even when we're doing everything right, we can still trip over a deficiency. I just added selenium as a separate supplement. Further investigation says that you can overdo selenium, so I have to be aware of whether I develop any nausea, vomiting, loss of hair and nails, a skin rash, or nerve damage in response to upping my dosage.

This is why we get regular lab tests, so we can catch this stuff before it gets out of hand!

My two-year tests showed perfect except for one mineral. My levels of selenium were not drastically low, but lower than the expected range. And I take my supplements every day.

So, even when we're doing everything right, we can still trip over a deficiency.

This is why we get regular lab tests, so we can catch this stuff before it gets out of hand!

Bumping this thread AND posting to remind others that you HAVE TO TAKE VITAMIN AND MINERAL SUPPLEMENTS FOREVER. Even if you are eating a lot more food, you MUST always take them. Like LisaM posted above, you can take a "good" vitamin with the right amount but STILL have issues. So take them all and test yourself every year. 6 months if you can afford it.

Here's what has happened to me now: My magnesium is low. How did I know? I have signs of magnesium deficiency. Uncontrolled spasmodic muscle twitches, skin patches, fingernail ridges, osteopenia, etc. I noticed the jerking muscles and did a little research. Got blood test. Confirmed low level.

I didn't know I was supposed to take SERIOUS vitamins when I had surgery. My doc said to take Flintstones and Tums. I *&^% you not. So that's what I did. It wasn't until I came HERE (my doc retired, no aftercare) that I learned I was ROYALLY SCREWED with adequate vitamin/mineral intake.

It's just now, over 6 years postop, that I've found out I have two serious additional medical problems to deal with now. People don't skip them. Ever.

Here's just one link to know how much you need. But this site is FULL of this info. and tons of links. Search the threads PLEASE. There is NO excuse for any of us who found TT. You will never regret spending $30 a month for better health and a savings in medical costs from complications.

Introduction: Minerals and Electrolytes: Merck Manual Home Edition

Lisa...Thank you for the reminder. I am also a vitamin freak and will not miss a dose of them. I swear by the celebrate vitamins, I love them and have had perfect blood work thus far! To anyone looking for a great tolerable vitamin specific for WLS patients I hight suggest them. Also Vic, the owner of the company is amazing and can answer any questions that you may have. I just love the company.

Dont skip you vitamins ever. We do need these and yes for the rest of our lives!!

This is definitely a good post to keep LIVE. My surgeon said vitamins is the MOST important besides protein. He stressed this about 2 to 3 times during my visit. I was like okay I do get the point. I am going to be a vitamin Queen!!

I have a question and this post is what i was looking for. If you are feeling like this should you go to the hospital to see if everything is ok since i feel so crappy. My doc didnt say anything over the last year of why i felt like this or i should be taking more vitamins. Please help me as i Want to get better for my family and myself and I feel like all this explains. I started my vitamins today but i have been out of the hosptial since 11/19/2010 the last time and i was low on these things but nobody said are you taking your vitamins????? Thanks for the info, I thought i was the only one!!!

Ask your primary care physician to run a full blood panel on you, and to order special tests for iron, and for the B vitamins, vitamin D and vitamin A which we tend to underabsorb. Your surgeon doesn't have to do it, your PCP can.

just came across this post! Thanks! I am feeling very dizzy and my muscles are so sore.. Like joint pain. i also have tingling in my left side (hand and leg/foot) I sometimes have rapid heartrates. Its scary. I just went to the doctors and they ordered my blood work to be done. i am hoping to find out what is wrong! But thanks again :)

Let's not forget Vitamin D. 80% of adults are Vit D deficient at some point, according to my endocrinologist.

Just another query from Australia. I've heard there is a chewable multivitamin in the US that meets all of our vitamin needs? Is this true? According to my dietician it's taking forever to get approved over here.

Hi, ModPsych - yes, Celebrate Vitamins, among others, offers what are termed "Bariatric Supplements" in the US.  They essentially include everything we need, in the amounts that we need them, in chewable form.  Many of the vitamin companies have gone to chewable gummy forms of their vitamins here for their own markets, as well.  I'm chewing a Celebrate Multi-Complete vitamin as I'm typing this, in fact.  I wouldn't give the taste an absolute thumbs-up, but my blood draw results end up in great shape when I'm taking them.  They're not inexpensive, either, by the way... but you can find them http://www.celebratevitamins.com/.

Edited by LisaM

Thanks for the info! I've been taking my supplements except calcium citrate with vit D as I haven't been able to get it yet. Going to the store today :) I'm less than a week out though.

In addition to what was posted already, it was really stressed to me that I need to take my iron and calcium separately, as the body really will not be able to absorb both at the same time. Not sure how that works, but I take my multi with iron in the am, and will be doing the calcium in the evening.

Just another query from Australia. I've heard there is a chewable multivitamin in the US that meets all of our vitamin needs? Is this true? According to my dietician it's taking forever to get approved over here.

Celebrate and Bariatric Advantage's multivitamins both meet the 200% RDA asmbs.org recommendation - table 5 of this document:  http://s3.amazonaws.com/publicASMBS/GuidelinesStatements/Guidelines/bgs_final.pdf

I'm sure Celebrate and Bariatric Advantage mail overseas - they'd be worth contacting to ask for shipping rates.

But there's an eBayer in Australia selling bariatric supplements:  http://stores.ebay.com.au/Celebrate-Vitamins