LisaM

Best advice for pre-op

OK, guys, I need additions for this one, too!

Thanks so much for posting this!

Bumping this...

I have printed this out and added into my WLS binder I have going that has all the questions I want to ask and any info I find helpful.

Thank you for posting this Lisa.

Lisa...

Thanks so much for the great post!...Very comprehensive...And lots of thigns I wouldn't have thought of...Much appreciated...I am scheduled for lap Roux-En-Y next Tuesday morning...Samples of protein instead of buying, taking own pillow to hospital...haubrics

I'm two weeks post op and my lifesaver at the hospital was a heating pad for my back. I still have trouble sleeping on my side and even with pillows under my knees, my back kills me when I have to spend all night on my back, so the heating pad is really helping!

Lisa, Thank you so much, it will really help. I am due for surgery on 26th February 2008 and am absolutely petrified, but at least I knowthe questions to ask at my pre admission appointment.

THANKS ANNETTE

I took my teddy bear, it was great to snuggle with!

I also didn't like the idea of wearing the double hospital gown to stop my butt from hanging out so I took a nice big comfy fleece robe. It was a lifesaver when I went on my walks around the floor!

Right after I got home I used one of those "grabber" things a lot so I didn't have to bend over.

love reading your posts, am scared to death for pre-op and post-op but you've helped so keep these posts coming please. :) My other worry is will i have all this excess skin hanging off my face and the rest of my body and will whatever wrinkles i have on my face get deeper? i can't afford plastic surgery so this terrifies me alot, sounds stupid i know. thank you...notthinanymore

Thanks for a great and helpful post.

BillH

I am 214 lbs...surgery is on March 31...terrified, but determined. Thank you to everyone who contributes such good information and encouragement.

snibbler

Thank you Lisa,

I printed it too since I already have a surgery date. This information is greatly appreciated.. You are providing so much information... can't we lift some weight after surgery? Like a couple pounds after the first week or do we still have to be careful???

Hugz,

Tina

When you take your before pictures profile, I suggest you do it in a doorway or in front of your refigerator. This way you can see the loss more effectively!

Gowns: If your having surgery by Dr Callery, the hospitals have XXL large gowns. It was cool. If your hospital does not, Lisa's idea is a great one.

Wear the same clothes into the hospital when your admitted that you will wear out. I wore a T shirt and track pants and flip flops, this way you keep tracking your belongings down to a minimum.

Its also a good idea to bring sugarfree lifesavers or other like candy. Your mouth and throat are going to be very dry! Very dry! You will be expected to use a bronchio dilator (sp?) is that what its called? Anyway, its a plastic thing with a tube attached and a little ball and you have to blow into to reduce getting pnuemonia. Your mouth is so tight and dry, and you have a sore throat from being intibated it can be difficult and the candy will help with moisture in your mouth and throat. I wish someone would have told me about this beforehand!

All I took to the hospital was a tube of chapstick and my cell phone, dont forget the charger!

Bridget, the delightful little apparatus you're thinking of is an "incentive spirometer" - I recommend that pre-ops start practicing using it at least several times per day before surgery - you want to develop an actual habit with it, so that you can use it habitually post-op (I think I had to use mine hourly for a week or 10 days after surgery) - it's easy to forget in all of the other stuff we have to do post-op. Also, if you're required to do coughing and breathing exercises post-op, start practicing those beforehand to make them a habit, too. Coughing pillows are a Godsend for doing all that coughing post-op!

Here is one that I overlooked till I payed attention to it, chewing your food. I'm finally starting to pay attention while I'm eating and it's amazing how much of my food was not chewed. I honestly would have to say that when I eat it's like something out of "Shark Week" on animal planet, my eyes roll back and I don't focus on enjoying my meals just in ending the hunger as fast as possible and now that I'm paying attention I'm noticing when I don't chew enough and something feels like it's going to get blocked on the way down which is when I reach for the water to wash it down (another no no). I am still pre op and on the last month of my 6 month MSWL and from everything I have heard making these two changes now will be two of the most important things for my future success.

I'm also starting a similar thread in post-op. Everyone gets lots of advice before and after their surgery. Thought we'd put it all in one place, like the best of nutrition thread. You guys add yours to the thread, and I'll put it all on the front, as I've done before. Here we go with a few that are still in my memory. Feel free to suggest new categories, as well!

Ask Your Doctor

• Do you perform the surgery laparoscopically or open?
  • How many gastric bypass surgeries have you done?
  • What's your mortality rate? (How many people you've performed gastric bypass surgery on have died?)
  • What's your complication rate?
  • What's your most common complication?
  • What kind of aftercare do you provide/suggest?

Buy Before Surgery

• Protein SAMPLES if your doctor/nutritionist wants you using supplements, don't buy case lots - your tastes WILL change post-op
  • Blender or magic bullet to mix protein drinks/smoothies

To Do List Before Surgery

• Take your "before" pictures! And make sure you take front, back, and profile... Smiling helps...
  • Take your "before" measurements, too. And measure EVERYthing--you will lose inches around your ankles, wrists, everywhere.
  • Get your house in order, as you're not going to be up to cleaning or taking care of stuff for a while after you get back.
  • You're not supposed to be lifting for four to six weeks post-op, so do what you have to in order to make sure you can take care of things like laundry--a rolling suitcase is great for a temporary laundry basket.
  • Arrange for someone to be around for a few days, particularly if you have little ones.
  • Get a TT buddy--somebody who can let us know that your surgery is over, and that you're OK...we worry!

Take to the Hospital:

• Chapstick
  • Your own pillow
  • Slippers of your own, so you don't have to wear those funky things they supply at the hospital.
  • Loose pants to wear home
  • Ipod or other personal music to block out the wacko in the next bed over.
  • Cellphone, so you can call or text somebody at Thinner Times and let us know you're OK. Make sure you have your TT buddy's phone number already pre-programmed into your phone!

Don't Bother Taking to the Hospital:

• Books - you either won't have time to read because you'll be up and walking all the time, or you'll feel like crap and won't be interested in reading. Either way, it's just extra weight, and you won't be able to carry it out... you're not supposed to be lifting, remember?
  • Work to do - See "Books." Same theory.
  • Nightgown - Just wear the loose sweats to walk around the halls, with the hospital gown over. See below for hints on how to do that...

Hints While in the Hospital:

• Hospital gowns: Ask for a second hospital gown. Wear the first gown with the opening in the back, then put the second one on with the opening in the front. No bootie hanging out in the hallways... who wants to see that?

chapstick?

I've also heard gas-x strips will be your friend. Is this just for lapband? what about RNY?

Bill, I had both hips replaced last years. The surgeon insisted that I get down from 292 to 250 before he would do it. And I did it (of course, it's all back on now). But my point is that he discovered that even at 250 (which was high weight for him to operate on) that the procedure was much, much easier than he had anticipated and my recovery was even more rapid that many of his patients. The surgeon is Dr. Thomas Knutson in Escondido, California. He used a very small incision (about 4 inches) in the Front of your body and he doesn't have to go through any muscles that way.

Let me know if you want more information. I believe it's called minimally invasive hip replacement.

This post is fantastic!!!!! Thanks so much! I am going to print it out and use it!

I need help finding a post. It was a long list in bright bold pink lettering that had helpful sites on it. I went to one of the sites and couldn't get back to the post. I broke my golden rule of printing or saving and now I can't find it....Help!!!!!

CC:(

Hi CCluvs,

I think the post your a talking about is in the Newbies thread.

Good luck,

Trinksie