ladytonya

Random food question........

I was in a candy store last weekend looking at the no sugar added chocolate. Actually bought a dark chocolate bar that was delicious, lasted me a whole week and had like 2 g sugar in the whole bar and even had 2 g protein! (hey, I'll take it where I can get it!) Anyway, they had sugar free gummy bears and I LOVE gummy bears! I am six months out and this was my first sugar free candy of any sort so I didn't want to push it, but I just keep thinking about those dang gummy bears! I didn't get them because I was afraid that with the texture that they are, they would just be all yucky in my pouch and cause problems. I can't ask my nut about these types of things because she says absolutely no treats, never. Well, of course, that is not going to happen. Yes, I know I had this surgery for a reason and all that, but we all have a treat every once in a while! So, anyone out there have any experience with eating gummy bears since surgery? Do they go down okay or do they cause problems? I'm going back by there tomorrow and want to get some so I quit obsessing. It's the type of thing that once I have them, I won't think about them again for another 6 months and the bag will probably last me a few weeks. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

From Harry & David, so they were good ones. The taste is not as good as the regular ones, and for some reason I dumped on them. What's left of the bag (most of it) is still sitting in a drawer at work. Gotta be careful with the SF stuff- take too much and it kind of has the same effect as that stuff in FF potato chips- Olestra?

I'm with you- I need a little something, and thank God, nowadays just a taste makes me happy!

BTW- you are making AWESOME progress!!! Must be due for a new avatar?

I'll definitely have to try them. I looked at the nutrition information and they only have 3 g of sugar and the same sugar alcohol. Some sugar free things will make me dump if the sugar alcohol level is too high.

Thanks for the compliment! Yeah, I guess I am due for a new avie but I like this one because I am in one of my favorite places! I need to update my pics, too. I have a book of pics and I haven't gotten my hubby to take any since like February. My 6 mos. followup with the surgeon is next Monday. I'll work on getting the ole avie updated!

Watch the sugar alcohols they can be just as deadly as as the real stuff. All in moderation!

When I need a treat (sweet) I go for the SF Pudding, they come in great flavors now, even caramel:) I also bought some SF cookies that are very good but like everything only 1-2 and back away from the bag. They can get addiciting.

I had no problems with a few of them...or the SF jelly Bellys....but I dump on mor ethan 5-6 g of sugar alcohol...though it takes a good 20g of the real sugar to d the same thing.

Eating them was fine as far as the ease of which they went down, but the aftereffects were nasty. I get horrible horrible pains when eating any kind of SF candy or chocolate. I don't dump much on normal things, but SF candy is harsh.

Honestly I think everyone is a little different on what they can eat. I'd say just eat it and see if you can tolerate it. I've never been much on sweets so I can't comment about the GB's but, I can eat anything as long as its in moderation.

So try it and see if it holds. If it does just eat them every once in awhile as a treat...its easy to get back into old habits.

Listen to John he gave good advise!

I've done a little bit of sugar free candy but have pretty much stayed away from the sugar free chocolate. The kind I've looked at have a fair amount of fat in them, but that is only the chocolate. High sugar alcohols give me really bad gas and I just don't feel the best. I actually do better with real sugar vs. the sugar alcohols. Just try it, see how it goes and if you do well? Use it as a special treat as John suggested.

Tonya, you are doing absolutely awesome, lady!!! :D

You should try just about anything once... just have a bite or two and then wait 15 to 30 minutes.. if it doens't do you in, then try a little more. Personally I have stayed away from "gummy" type things because Fickle B*tch has enough problems as it is. But hey if you're normal otherwise then go for it!

I know that I can't do the SF candy... I"d rather have 3 m&m's than a handful of the other stuff.

My sugar tolerance seems to be increasing for solids I can do about 15 grams now but liquids over 5 send me into a tail spin....

Last night at Life Group I had a bite of cheesecake... it was nice but only nice, not wonderful. Didn't dump on it..surprising with all the sugar and fat... but a step ahead that I didn't want to eat the whole thing.

I bought them today and they are awesome! Like I said, this bag will probably last me a week or more. It's not like I'm going to sit here and eat a whole back like I did pre-surgery. I am definitely not wanting to get back into old habits, but a treat every now and then is necessary! Our support group leader is funny. She says that you cannot deprive a woman of chocolate, that it is just not possible and that there is nothing wrong with having the occasional treat. My doctor and nutritionist, however, are the complete opposite. They take the "You can never eat that again" approach. Well, I hate to tell them, never is a long long time and neither of them have had any weight loss surgery! I have learned more from this board than from my doc. I have followed my nut's plan almost to a T, now I'm six months out and I'm doing great. I will give myself the occasional treat and I will not feel guilty about it! I go on Monday for my six-month followup. I won't tell them that I've been eating sugar free gummy bears. What they don't know, won't hurt them! :D