Gina in NY

Cleared to run - a little

Oh heavens - I thought this day would never come! Physical therapist says I should start intervals tomorrow - I can not wait!!

But I'm starting REALLY slowly - don't need another 12 weeks off in pain. (There is no pain now) So I'll walk for a few minutes and run for 30 seconds. If that feels okay, I will increase to a minute but no more. If it hurst two hours later - I'll stop again - because I SO want to do this right.

The cool thing is, I realized that I weigh A LOT less than when I was running before. I think I was at 208 when I hurt myself and today I hit 180 - that has got to help a little!

I'm so happy - if this works, I can run outside this spring!!! It is going to be great!!!!

Oh heavens - I thought this day would never come! Physical therapist says I should start intervals tomorrow - I can not wait!!

But I'm starting REALLY slowly - don't need another 12 weeks off in pain. (There is no pain now) So I'll walk for a few minutes and run for 30 seconds. If that feels okay, I will increase to a minute but no more. If it hurst two hours later - I'll stop again - because I SO want to do this right.

The cool thing is, I realized that I weigh A LOT less than when I was running before. I think I was at 208 when I hurt myself and today I hit 180 - that has got to help a little!

I'm so happy - if this works, I can run outside this spring!!! It is going to be great!!!!

awesome news gina!!! way to go. I'm soo excited for you that you get to get back into it. You are gonna love it. I can't imagine how hard these past weeks have been for you. You did the right thing though. You don't mess with a injury. I've been fighting off a couple myself.

congrats this is truely good news:D

woohooo!!

wish I could say I have a passion for running...but...i don't.

Never could understand it, but I know the people who love it...llloooovvvveee it!!!

Good news, take it easy!

Glad to hear you were cleared to begin running again. I know that you take fitness very seriously so I was wondering if you had any advice for a beginning runner.

I've started training for a 5K and I was wondering how fast should I be going? I've been alternating walking at 3.5 - 4.0 mphfor 60 seconds and then running/jogging at 4.5 -5.0 mph for 90 seconds...I do this for a total of 30 minutes. Is this fast enough or should I be aiming for 5.5 mph and above?

gina - great news. I do the 30 sec run, 1 minute walk thing....my biggest pain is the boobs bouncing up and down!

TOO bad we don't live closer...we could do it together!

Here's to pain free running!

You are such an inspiration....I am so happy for you...I know this is a passion for you....

Best wishes and I hope you stay injury FREE!

:) YAY.. I know you have been working hard to get to where you could run again! I hope it goes smoothly.. and you have no further injuries!

gina - great news. I do the 30 sec run, 1 minute walk thing....my biggest pain is the boobs bouncing up and down!

TOO bad we don't live closer...we could do it together!

Here's to pain free running!

I wear two sports bras...

Glad to hear you were cleared to begin running again. I know that you take fitness very seriously so I was wondering if you had any advice for a beginning runner.

I've started training for a 5K and I was wondering how fast should I be going? I've been alternating walking at 3.5 - 4.0 mphfor 60 seconds and then running/jogging at 4.5 -5.0 mph for 90 seconds...I do this for a total of 30 minutes. Is this fast enough or should I be aiming for 5.5 mph and above?

I walk at 3.4 and run at 5.0 - 5.2 - but I am very short. At 5.0 you're running a 12 minute mile - so that is good. Your 5K will take, what...35 or 40 minutes at that rate? Just figure it out, watch the distance on your machine and do whatever feels good! With the walking and running, I'd try to get to 3.1 miles - that is about5K - it will get you all trained up.

Good luck!!

The only draw back is when I graduate from PT, I won't see Bob anymore - no more lower back ultra sound or "assisted stretching." PT can be quite intimate... And the eye candy withdrawl...Ah well. Such is life. The man who asked me to be his running partner is not bad looking either - nice pecs;) ... Wonder what he wears when he runs in the summer? And at least he is older than me.

Is it spring??:D

God, I'm looking forward to working out again! So pleased for you that you can follow your passion again, dear...