It's been a while!!

Nana Trish

Hello everyone! It's been a LONG time since I've been here! Since we are getting close to the holidays, I really wanted to check in to see how everyone is doing.

Part of the reason I've been gone so long...I've just had a hip replacement, ugh. I started having severe pain back in April in my left hip. I had a steroid injection in August, which did absolutely nothing. After being referred to ortho in September, I was told (just like my knees) that there was no hope of getting any relief without a replacement. So I had it done on November 8th. The recovery has been less painful than my knees, but I'm still working on it. It has been interesting trying to do my Christmas shopping, dragging a walker around. My right hip only has minor arthritis in it at the moment, so it looks like I'll be able to wait a while before that will need to be done.

Zoey has been interesting, lol. She's doing really well, and she weighs 56 pounds. I believe she's done growing, thank goodness. I'll post pics of her along with this post. 

Harper is still amazing!! He just turned 5 on Thanksgiving (of all days, lol) and he is doing really well in kindergarten. I still can't believe it!! Kindergarten!! He's learning how to read already. He really likes school, and had his first conference yesterday. He's still the love of my life! 

@PapaDavid is doing exceptionally well. Work is good, but he had to start traveling for work again this week. He's got a lot more freedom with his new position, and was able to take 3 weeks off after my surgery. He wasn't allowed to accompany me into the hospital, and that was rough on him. But we survived, lol. He has maintained his weight for over a year now. He had a slight gain during the first year, but in my opinion he needed to. He looks and feels great, except for the reactive hypoglycemia. He finished the bathroom remodel in May, and it looks amazing! In October, he ended up having to tear up the floor in the bar/pool room, and replaced it with ceramic tile...what an ordeal! It looks beautiful, but now we are taking a break from the remodeling. 

I think that's about it for the big stuff right now, lol. Please, everyone let me know how things have been going with you all! (((Hugs))) and love to you all, and happy holidays!! 

Edit: I tried to post pics, and it wouldn't work. A lot has changed since I've been here last!

I got it to work!! Lol!! The first one is Zoey, obviously. The second one is Harper and my daughter, on his first day of school. And of course Papa David. I also included before and after pics of David's amazing bathroom remodel.

IMG_20210912_140633453.jpg

IMG_20210910_083626870_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210912_140746560~2.jpg

Screenshot_20211209-231719~2.png

Screenshot_20211209-231730~2.png

Screenshot_20211209-231801~2.png

Screenshot_20211209-231810~2.png

Edited by Nana Trish

TRISH!  It's wonderful to hear from you and I'm glad that you are well - certainly sounds that you've been busy what with your hip surgery and David's AMAZING transformation with your bathroom (and with the rest of the house).  It wouldn't be out of place on the cover of Homes & Garden.  I could sure put him to good use around here!  :lol:

And look at Harper all grown up.  To this day, I still giggle when I look at the picture of him you posted, pretty much sitting on top of his 1st birthday cake (the extra one your DH made especially for him).  Where has all the time gone!   https://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/121099-yesterday-was-harpers-birthday/?tab=comments#comment-1303588

Glad to hear that your recovery from a hip replacement is going well.  Can you imagine what that would have been like had you not lost your excess weight (336.6lb down to 153lb).  You've lost more than half of your starting weight - that is pretty amazing!

Zoey is a pretty dog - I'm sure she's good company when David is away.  My Sam (chocolate lab. rescue) is my best friend.

Don't wait so long writing again Trish - I always enjoy your posts. ... big hug to you. ...x.

@cinwa!! Hello, my friend!! Thank you so much for posting the link to those 1st birthday pics of Harper :wub: It's utterly mind boggling how fast this time has passed! 

Yes, busy with the house and my hip surgery, for sure! Thank you so much for the compliments on David's work on the bathroom. He had never done ceramic and porcelain tile before, so this was a completely new experience for him. He will be touched to hear the Homes and Garden comment, especially after working his knees raw doing that job and the pool room floor! 

No, I can't even begin to imagine what it would have been like to have these joint replacements at my former weight, ugh. I don't think they would have touched me at 336 pounds. I would still be stuck in that wheelchair! There is no doubt being at my current weight makes recovery 100x easier and quicker than it would have been pre WLS. I'm starting to make small strides losing my Covid weight gain. I got up to 190 at my highest, pre op, thanks to stress eating because of the pain. So I've lost 12 pounds since November 8th, and I'm pretty happy about that. I had been stuck at 180 prior to this, but couldn't muster the motivation to get back on track. I'm getting there! 

Zoey is definitely good company when David is traveling. But she's a bit of a diva, lol, and quite a drama queen! She has taken to sitting practically on top of me when I eat cheese, and she will nudge my arm with her nose and paw until I give her some :lol: She doesn't get much people food, but she does get to share my cheese, strawberries and raspberries with me. She had her first birthday on November 1st, and at the end of next month we will have had her for a year already! I'm so glad to hear that Sam is such good company for you, my friend. I remember how difficult it was when you lost your other pup. Forgive me that her name has escaped me...Meg? My memory is absolutely horrible these days. 

How has your weather been so far this season? It's been seasonably cold here, with very little snow so far, so yay upstate NY!! I'm sure you are all stocked up with firewood by now. 

Hopefully, now that my hip pain is starting to improve, I'll be able to write more often. I won't make promises like I was before, because everytime I do, I always fail to keep them. Hopefully, with taking a break with the remodeling and being post op (hopefully for years to come), I will be able to start getting back into some of my old routines...the ones that were so good for my mental health. Visiting here often was always good for me!! 

(((Hugs))) right back to you!! :wub:

I could certainly do with David around here.  Peter is now in his mid-80's, has heart failure and severe joint pain issues.  But even turning the clock back, he could never have even considered the DIY stuff that David has done.  That's outstanding work Trish.

You're doing a great job with getting on top of that Covid weight gain.  It's not easy but you've done it before and you're a strong woman - you can do it again.

Sam is great company and she's a good listener and never leaves my side.  Another upside is that she needs a lot of walking regardless of the weather but that's kept me in good shape.

Miserable weather for us right now.  The hills surrounding us are capped with snow but we've been having heavy, non-stop rain for a few days.  Sam doesn't mind it but I'm over dressing up like a yeti, carrying a big golf umbrella on our walks.  Not that the umbrella helps much anyway - what doesn't hit me coming down gets me coming back up.  But the upside is that the temperatures are warmer than usual for this time of the year.

OK - time to hit the shower and get ready for another soaking wet day.  As always, take care. ...x.

@Nana Trish - It is really great to hear from you again.  So much wonderful news and so many wonderful photos!!  I still remember well when we all met in Boston a few years ago.  

You (and your husband) are an inspiration to us all.  Including to our mutual friend @BurgundyBoy.

Is your husband still in the cookie business?  

Some day (when this COVID thing is behind us), I hope to meet the two of you again, but this time in beautiful rural Vermont.

15 hours ago, cinwa said:

I could certainly do with David around here.  Peter is now in his mid-80's, has heart failure and severe joint pain issues.  But even turning the clock back, he could never have even considered the DIY stuff that David has done.  That's outstanding work Trish.

You're doing a great job with getting on top of that Covid weight gain.  It's not easy but you've done it before and you're a strong woman - you can do it again.

Sam is great company and she's a good listener and never leaves my side.  Another upside is that she needs a lot of walking regardless of the weather but that's kept me in good shape.

Miserable weather for us right now.  The hills surrounding us are capped with snow but we've been having heavy, non-stop rain for a few days.  Sam doesn't mind it but I'm over dressing up like a yeti, carrying a big golf umbrella on our walks.  Not that the umbrella helps much anyway - what doesn't hit me coming down gets me coming back up.  But the upside is that the temperatures are warmer than usual for this time of the year.

OK - time to hit the shower and get ready for another soaking wet day.  As always, take care. ...x.

@cinwa, if we lived near you, David would absolutely help you out! He truly loves doing the remodeling, but we both missed me being able to be his clean up crew, lol. It makes things a lot easier and quicker for him, and a lot less stressful for me when I can help out. He learned a lot working with his contractor grandfather as a teenager, and he took building trades classes at the local community college during high school. The rest is self taught, and I'm more thankful for everything he does, and is capable of doing, than he will ever know. Not to mention the tens of thousands of dollars he has saved us in labor costs. This is stuff that most people that aren't contractors don't generally try, so Peter not considering doing this type of stuff in his younger years is not unusual. I'm sorry to hear that he is struggling with heart failure and severe joint pain. Life is really difficult when you live in pain daily, and I will be praying for you both. (((Hugs))) my friend ❤️

I know what you mean about Sam being a good listener...Zoey is too. I'm so happy you have such a loyal companion, and big bonus that she keeps you in shape! Walking a dog is great exercise. I tried walking Zoey a few times, but she pulls too hard on me. She behaves completely for David, so I was walking with them until April. I took a header on the sidewalk just by my house when my sandal got caught on the lip of the sidewalk, and that was the end of my walking for this year. I've been in pain ever since. I'm hoping to be able to join them again in the spring. 

I'm sorry to hear about your crappy weather, ugh. We just started getting super heavy rain earlier this evening, and now it's really windy too. I've gotta give you a lot of credit for walking Sam in that kind of weather!! Zoey is not fond of the rain, snow, or cold, so she won't go for walks in this weather. We just put her on her run in the back yard, she does her business, and she comes right back in. I don't blame you for not wanting to get dressed up like a yeti to walk Sam... hopefully it will stop raining like that soon so you won't have to. At least it's warmer than usual. Maybe that's a good thing? If it wasn't, all of that rain might be snow!! 

I hope you had a nice shower, and that you didn't end up turning into a prune ❤️

Hugs and love!! 

3 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

@Nana Trish - It is really great to hear from you again.  So much wonderful news and so many wonderful photos!!  I still remember well when we all met in Boston a few years ago.  

You (and your husband) are an inspiration to us all.  Including to our mutual friend @BurgundyBoy.

Is your husband still in the cookie business?  

Some day (when this COVID thing is behind us), I hope to meet the two of you again, but this time in beautiful rural Vermont.

@Res Ipsa hello :)Yes, a lot of good things happened this past year, despite Covid's best efforts to ruin things. I remember our wonderful Boston get together very fondly! That was lovely ❤️

Yes, @PapaDavid is absolutely still in the cookie business! You can check out his website...evilcookieco.com. He did pretty well this year, considering he didn't start selling cookies again until July 1st because of the remodeling (nobody wants remodeling dust in there cookies, lol). He truly loved baking, and it's very relaxing for him. 

A Vermont get together would be awesome! Vermont is one of our favorite states. If we were ever to sell our house, that's where we would move, lol. We decided that years ago!!

@Nana Trish, hello!!!! I haven’t been here in ages.  Managed to weather covid despite being at home more and eating more, I put on 15# but that was manageable. However, THINKING that was manageable was my downfall. Recently I have been experiencing issues with a family member which is really stressful….and I started stress eating like mad (clearly) and gained 20# since this October!!!!  I know…who does that?  I think i had in the back of my mind that I can easily loses it when I want/need to, but it isn’t half as easy at it was after surgery!  Ugh!  

I am back on the straight and narrow (went back to WW to try to get this under control) and am back 6 days a week at the gym.  I gave my self a false sense of security thinking I could handle this and I can’t!

I also recently started on Prozac which I was on 20 years ago and that is helping.  

Anyway, sorry about your hip, but glad you’re mending.  I have no idea how Harper is 5 already, he must’ve gone through some time warp or something…LOL!!!  Then again, now that I think it over, it has been 4 yrs since I had my surgery, so I suppose time has passed quite a bit!!!!

10 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

@Nana Trish, hello!!!! I haven’t been here in ages.  Managed to weather covid despite being at home more and eating more, I put on 15# but that was manageable. However, THINKING that was manageable was my downfall. Recently I have been experiencing issues with a family member which is really stressful….and I started stress eating like mad (clearly) and gained 20# since this October!!!!  I know…who does that?  I think i had in the back of my mind that I can easily loses it when I want/need to, but it isn’t half as easy at it was after surgery!  Ugh!  

I am back on the straight and narrow (went back to WW to try to get this under control) and am back 6 days a week at the gym.  I gave my self a false sense of security thinking I could handle this and I can’t!

I also recently started on Prozac which I was on 20 years ago and that is helping.  

Anyway, sorry about your hip, but glad you’re mending.  I have no idea how Harper is 5 already, he must’ve gone through some time warp or something…LOL!!!  Then again, now that I think it over, it has been 4 yrs since I had my surgery, so I suppose time has passed quite a bit!!!!

Hey @CheeringCJ!! Hello! 

I'm thrilled to hear that you've managed Covid without incident. I lost my grandmother to Covid May 1st 2020, which was horrible. We have had a couple of scares with second generation exposure through Harper with his half brothers both being infected (they are fine), and two of hubby's employees became infected within 2 months of each other...we both had first generation exposure to them. We never got sick...thank you vaccines and masking/sanitizing/social distancing. So between all of that and my surgery, let's just say we have had our fair share of Covid tests, ugh! I can SO relate to the Covid weight gain! Between being off my bipolar meds for about two years (blending into Covid) hip pain, and pandemic stressors, I gained 40 pounds. I'm finally heading back in the other direction, thank God! I can't go to the gym, but you are so right. It's really not much easier losing it now than it was pre op. I'm sure if I was to really get strict with myself, that would help. But I'm doing much better too.

I'm so glad to hear that Prozac is helping you. I take Lamictal for bipolar, and now that I'm back on it, I'm much more stable. 

Oh my Harper!! He's still amazing and still the love of my life!! It's unfathomable to me that he could possibly be in kindergarten already!! But like you said, it's been 4+ years since my WLS too, so it has to be true, lol. It's truly great hearing from you, and I hope you and the family are doing well :)

On 12/13/2021 at 1:45 AM, Nana Trish said:

Hey @CheeringCJ!! Hello! 

I'm thrilled to hear that you've managed Covid without incident. I lost my grandmother to Covid May 1st 2020, which was horrible. We have had a couple of scares with second generation exposure through Harper with his half brothers both being infected (they are fine), and two of hubby's employees became infected within 2 months of each other...we both had first generation exposure to them. We never got sick...thank you vaccines and masking/sanitizing/social distancing. So between all of that and my surgery, let's just say we have had our fair share of Covid tests, ugh! I can SO relate to the Covid weight gain! Between being off my bipolar meds for about two years (blending into Covid) hip pain, and pandemic stressors, I gained 40 pounds. I'm finally heading back in the other direction, thank God! I can't go to the gym, but you are so right. It's really not much easier losing it now than it was pre op. I'm sure if I was to really get strict with myself, that would help. But I'm doing much better too.

I'm so glad to hear that Prozac is helping you. I take Lamictal for bipolar, and now that I'm back on it, I'm much more stable. 

Oh my Harper!! He's still amazing and still the love of my life!! It's unfathomable to me that he could possibly be in kindergarten already!! But like you said, it's been 4+ years since my WLS too, so it has to be true, lol. It's truly great hearing from you, and I hope you and the family are doing well :)

Oh my goodness, my heart is so happy seeing updates from old friends!  <3  I'm so glad I popped in today :)

I think stress from covid did a number on many of us in regards to weight gain.  I weighed in at 168 Saturday, 13# over goal.  I've been fluctuating about 10# over goal for the last year or so.  Though it is discouraging, I have not had to buy new clothes or changed size so I guess I have rationalized that I am "okay" haha.

My hubby and I went on our first vacation in over 10 years!  We did a 5-day Royal Caribbean cruise to Costa Maya & Cozumel.  I had never been cruising, and honestly it was Fantastic!  I was warned in advance that the food is amazing and you can literally eat 24/7 if you choose to.  I definitely ate differently than normal, and came home only 1# heavier.  But post-cruise, I seem to be hungry all the dang time lol.  I definitely know carbs are like crack and once I break those cravings things should level out again for me.

We were blessed with another granddaughter in April!  I was there for her birth!  Juniper lives only 2 blocks from us.  This is such a blessing since our 5 year old granddaughter Ameera is in another state.  Best of all, both daughters and their families will be home with us for Christmas this year.  We are over the moon <3

I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and blessed holiday season!

On 12/20/2021 at 12:25 PM, TammyP said:

Oh my goodness, my heart is so happy seeing updates from old friends!  <3  I'm so glad I popped in today :)

I think stress from covid did a number on many of us in regards to weight gain.  I weighed in at 168 Saturday, 13# over goal.  I've been fluctuating about 10# over goal for the last year or so.  Though it is discouraging, I have not had to buy new clothes or changed size so I guess I have rationalized that I am "okay" haha.

My hubby and I went on our first vacation in over 10 years!  We did a 5-day Royal Caribbean cruise to Costa Maya & Cozumel.  I had never been cruising, and honestly it was Fantastic!  I was warned in advance that the food is amazing and you can literally eat 24/7 if you choose to.  I definitely ate differently than normal, and came home only 1# heavier.  But post-cruise, I seem to be hungry all the dang time lol.  I definitely know carbs are like crack and once I break those cravings things should level out again for me.

We were blessed with another granddaughter in April!  I was there for her birth!  Juniper lives only 2 blocks from us.  This is such a blessing since our 5 year old granddaughter Ameera is in another state.  Best of all, both daughters and their families will be home with us for Christmas this year.  We are over the moon <3

I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and blessed holiday season!

Hello, @TammyP!! So great to hear from you!! How awesome that you got to have a fabulous vacation cruise, and only gain a pound!! Covid has taken a huge toll on most of us, but I think as bariatric patients, we haven't done so bad at all!! And a super fantastic congrats on the new grandbaby!! I'm shocked that the hospital let you be there for the delivery, but that is a special memory you will never forget ❤️ I hope and pray that you and your family had an amazing Christmas together today! We have to make those memories when we can ❤️

David and I did not have the best of Christmases today, unfortunately, ugh. He had to go out of state to work last week (?) and ended up contracting Covid from a sick out of state coworker (unvaxxed) that chose to come to work with a self diagnosed "bronchitis" that ended up being Covid. David came back from Pennsylvania on the 17th, started showing symptoms on the 18th. He took 3 home tests between the 17th and the 22nd, all negative. I started showing symptoms on the 22nd, and asked him to buy another home test. His came up positive this time, while mine was negative. On the 23rd, we went to the hospital for the PCR test, and got the call yesterday (our 27th anniversary) that we are both positive, ugh. We are both vaccinated, but didn't get the boosters yet. We've been pretty sick, and had to cancel all of our plans for the holiday...including spending time with my Harper!! :wacko: So, um, yeah. I am beyond thankful that we were vaccinated, and we will get the boosters after our 90 day "post Covid" waiting period is up. But I will take being this sick any day over being unvaxxed and ending up hospitalized, on a vent, or worse...with no vaccine!!

We hope you are all safe, healthy and well and have had a wonderful Christmas! Love and blessings to all!!

2 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Hello, @TammyP!! So great to hear from you!! How awesome that you got to have a fabulous vacation cruise, and only gain a pound!! Covid has taken a huge toll on most of us, but I think as bariatric patients, we haven't done so bad at all!! And a super fantastic congrats on the new grandbaby!! I'm shocked that the hospital let you be there for the delivery, but that is a special memory you will never forget ❤️ I hope and pray that you and your family had an amazing Christmas together today! We have to make those memories when we can ❤️

David and I did not have the best of Christmases today, unfortunately, ugh. He had to go out of state to work last week (?) and ended up contracting Covid from a sick out of state coworker (unvaxxed) that chose to come to work with a self diagnosed "bronchitis" that ended up being Covid. David came back from Pennsylvania on the 17th, started showing symptoms on the 18th. He took 3 home tests between the 17th and the 22nd, all negative. I started showing symptoms on the 22nd, and asked him to buy another home test. His came up positive this time, while mine was negative. On the 23rd, we went to the hospital for the PCR test, and got the call yesterday (our 27th anniversary) that we are both positive, ugh. We are both vaccinated, but didn't get the boosters yet. We've been pretty sick, and had to cancel all of our plans for the holiday...including spending time with my Harper!! :wacko: So, um, yeah. I am beyond thankful that we were vaccinated, and we will get the boosters after our 90 day "post Covid" waiting period is up. But I will take being this sick any day over being unvaxxed and ending up hospitalized, on a vent, or worse...with no vaccine!!

We hope you are all safe, healthy and well and have had a wonderful Christmas! Love and blessings to all!!

Yikes!  @Nana Trish 
I am very glad to hear that you two are doing OK. We are here to support you. 

On 12/25/2021 at 9:06 PM, Nana Trish said:

Big hugs to you @Nana Trish!!!  I am so sorry sweetie that you and David got sick :( :( :(  I hope after some recuperation time y'all can still have some family time to celebrate Christmas with Harper <3  Our Christmas with both grands was "grand"  hehe.  They are both growing up so fast.  The vocabulary on the 5 1/2 year old is amazing.  This grandparenting gig is THE BEST!  I am tired, but grateful for my WLS so I can "sorta" keep up with them!  Prayers for continued healing and good health for you and David into the New Year <3

On 12/26/2021 at 12:10 AM, Res Ipsa said:

Yikes!  @Nana Trish 
I am very glad to hear that you two are doing OK. We are here to support you. 

Thank you, @Res Ipsa! @PapaDavidand I are much better now. We have some lingering fatigue, and a slight cough, but otherwise unscathed. We hope you and your wife are doing well. Happy New Year to you both! 

On 12/27/2021 at 1:35 PM, TammyP said:

Big hugs to you @Nana Trish!!!  I am so sorry sweetie that you and David got sick :( :( :(  I hope after some recuperation time y'all can still have some family time to celebrate Christmas with Harper <3  Our Christmas with both grands was "grand"  hehe.  They are both growing up so fast.  The vocabulary on the 5 1/2 year old is amazing.  This grandparenting gig is THE BEST!  I am tired, but grateful for my WLS so I can "sorta" keep up with them!  Prayers for continued healing and good health for you and David into the New Year <3

Big hugs to you too, @TammyP! David and I are doing much better now ❤️ We were able to FaceTime with Harper on Christmas Eve so we could watch him open his gifts. We did our gift exchange with my son and his girlfriend in person at home, because all four of us ended up with Covid. And we did the gift exchange with my mother yesterday. So all is well!

I'm so happy to hear that you had a grand holiday with your grands!! I feel the same as you as far as the WLS...if not for that, I'd never be able to keep up 'ish' with Harper either, lol! Now if I can only stop getting joint replacements, I'd be all set :lol:

The grandparent gig IS the best!! I love it more everyday!! Happy New Year to you and your family, my friend!! ❤️

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 6:53 PM, LeeC said:

So great to read your posts.  Hope the New Year is good to you and your family.

Happy New Year @LeeC!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping you're recovered from hip surgery!  Life is so tough at times!  I often think of you!!   

• 2 months later...
On 12/12/2021 at 9:39 PM, CheeringCJ said:

Make happiness from the simplest of things, and do not give things more than their size,
always be sure that things will be as God wanted them to be, if there is anxiety, 
fear and nervous stress, be positive no matter the circumstances, 
because the circumstance will pass and you will reap the waste From sickness, 
fatigue and psychological exhaustion.
Edited by Simologi