Two Year Surgiversary!

Today marks two years since my gastric bypass surgery.  As many on here have said before, my only regret is not having done it sooner in life.  I am down about 115 pounds from beginning weight and have been able to maintain the smallest sized clothing I have worn since i was about 11 years old. I went from a size 46 pants and 3X shirt to size 33 pants and a large shirt.  While I am still about 20 pounds over where I want to be, and that is disappointing, I have to be happy with where I am.  I have much less knee pain, sleep apnea is gone, back aches are only a memory.  I have gained a confidence in life I have never had before.  Daily life does not revolve around just getting to the next feeding time.  I will also say that I have let carbs sneak back into my diet and I am struggling to eliminate them again.  Sweets no longer tempt me, and that is a true relief as that was my nemesis prior to surgery.  Aside from an ER visit for dehydration in the week following surgery, I have had no negative effects from the surgery and feel like I am making the most of this second chance at life.  

Any tips for cutting the carbs would be appreciated.  I DO NOT want to go back to the old me.  

Happy Surgiversary Graham!

Don't be too tough on yourself - at 6'3" and 207lb, you have done an amazing job losing 131lb of excess baggage - that's more than I weigh! 

Carbs are my nemesis so I avoid them like the plague - especially bread which is difficult because I like to bake my own.  Where possible, I use lettuce leaves as wraps - I like the crunch factor too.  But not all carbs are bad.  Beans and legumes are something I eat pretty much every day but I'm careful to weigh them.

Something that saved the day for me was "spiralizing".  You can buy a vegetable/fruit spiralizer but I find that a vegetable peeler on carrots, broccoli stems, zucchini, beets, apples etc. works just as well.   

Thanks for the tips!  I will say the veggies do tempt me, but my program says to avoid fruits and veg going forward as much as possible.  I am supposed to focus on protein first (plus daily vitamins)....which if I did a better job on I would not be tempted with carbs :).  I know the solution, just stop having it in the house and I won't be tempted.  Just hard with kids around...

But thank you for the support and encouragement.  Two years has passed in an instant it seems.  Life is so much better on this side of that surgery.  

Shows just how much things have changed since I had my WLS.

We were advised to eat protein first and add fresh vegetables and some fruit (limited) the further out we got.  

Shows just how much things have changed since I had my WLS.

We were advised to eat protein first and add fresh vegetables and some fruit (limited) the further out we got.  

One thing I have learned here over the last 3 years is that every plan/program is different.  I am allowed only minimal veg and no fruit (although i do have a banana or grapes from time to time).  I try to stick to proteins, shoot for 90g per day.  Depending on the protein source, it can be very easy or a challenge.  

I've never been much of a meat eater and that only got worse post-RNY surgery.  I like fish but I don't want to eat that every day so even now, I'll drink low fat milk, sometimes adding some protein powder to keep up my protein intake.

I have never been a meat eater either...it was in short supply when I was a kid and I never really got a taste for it.  I have gotten better at focusing on protein first, but i still supplement daily with a 30g protein shake and a 21g protein bar.  I am shooting for 90g per day, but rarely get that much.

But each day is a new day, and I have another chance to get closer to shedding that last 20 pounds.