Mixed support from family

Hi everyone. So I am in the beginning process of having the gastric bypass done. I meet with the surgeon in about 2 1/2 weeks. My husband and my mom/stepdad and dad/stepmom are super supportive of my decision to do this, as is most of my family. My mother in law is just worried because she knows someone who didn't have the best outcome from it (but he wasn't following the diet either) and my cousin has reservations about it as well. 

Like I've told my mother in law; I'm not going into this lightly. I'm doing my research and I have a list of questions I am going to ask the surgeon (I've seen nothing but positive reviews on him). It would mean a lot to have her support even though I know for certain, this is what I want to do. I'm excited for the future and the potential outcome from having this surgery done. I know it isn't going to be easy and it will be downright hard at times, but I am overly excited at the same time. I know this is the right thing to do. 

She also keeps asking me why I don't just stick with diet and exercise. Yes, this whole idea got in motion because I was seeing the surgeon on having a hernia repaired and he suggested doing the weight loss surgery first, as a way to increase the "effectiveness on the hernia surgery, so to speak.," and to lessen any complications. Plus, hopefully it will put my diabetes in remission and I can get off of some of my medication. I plan on getting my gym membership reinstated before hand, so that I can begin working out now and I've been cutting way down on carbonated drinks and drinking more water. 

I do have my mother in law going with me to my appt, so she can ask the surgeon questions as well. I'm hoping this will put her at ease. But I'm doing the surgery regardless. Sorry for the lengthy post. 

Hi Heather and welcome!  It seems you have given surgery a lot of thought, which is great.  It is not easy, though some people think WLS is the easy way out.  The support of family is definitely helpful.  As far as your mother in law, I would guess she really does care about you, and it is awesome that she is going to see the surgeon with you.  I would hope the surgeon will put her fears at ease.  My experience with WLS was very positive.  I only wish I had done it sooner! :)   There is a wealth of information on this website and feel free to ask any questions.  Best of luck to you on your journey!

People have a lot of misconceptions about gastric bypass - some people think that it is the easy way out and others think that it will not work.  Neither is true.  A gastric bypass will give your body a very powerful weight loss tool, but you will still need to take your post op diet seriously  The gastric bypass makes it much easier to lose your weight and keep it off long term.

I have never regretted having my gastric bypass.

We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey.