Periods return after none for years

Hi I had a gastric bypass 4 weeks ago and have started what I assume is my period, I hadn’t had a period in years due to my obesity and poly cystic ovaries.

Have any of you found that your periods returned with weight loss?

Happened for me every time I lost a significant amount of weight.  My periods would shut down (maybe one or two really awful ones per year) when I got up around 300 pounds and when I lost weight, they would start up regular again.  One mechanism is that fat cells store estrogen so as you lose weight you get sort of a surge of estrogen.  I believe this is why my hot flashes went away for a while after my sleeve surgery; they came back when things stabilized of course.  With PCOS, high testosterone is the contributing issue for shutting periods down; fat cells releasing estrogen will change that balance which probably is what allowed your period to return.  PCOS is very complex, and with the high insulin levels and propensity for T2 Diabetes that it brings, you have made a very healthy decision for your future.  Well done!

10 minutes ago, msmarymac said:

Happened for me every time I lost a significant amount of weight.  My periods would shut down (maybe one or two really awful ones per year) when I got up around 300 pounds and when I lost weight, they would start up regular again.  One mechanism is that fat cells store estrogen so as you lose weight you get sort of a surge of estrogen.  I believe this is why my hot flashes went away for a while after my sleeve surgery; they came back when things stabilized of course.  With PCOS, high testosterone is the contributing issue for shutting periods down; fat cells releasing estrogen will change that balance which probably is what allowed your period to return.  PCOS is very complex, and with the high insulin levels and propensity for T2 Diabetes that it brings, you have made a very healthy decision for your future.  Well done!

Thank you, I’m 7 stone down, I lost 4 stone pre op and 3 stone post op so far, fingers crossed my periods become regular as I would like to have children in a couple of years