Nice to meet you

Hi everyone. I came across this forum by chance. I am in the beginning stages of gastric bypass. I meet with my surgeon later this month and go from there. I live in a suburb of Chicago with my family. I am trying to gather as much information as I can about this whole process and new way of life; so any information you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. Especially regarding the hospital stay and right after. Thank you and nice to meet you!!

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your decision to pursue a healthier version of you.  In my personal experience with bypass, I stayed in the hospital overnight and was glad to be discharged late afternoon the following day.  No surgery is pain free, and this was certainly not; but it was not as bad as my gall bladder removal years prior.  I was back on my feet the next day and took about 4 weeks to feel back to the new normal.  

Best wishes in your journey and stay tuned in here.  Lots of good people and advice to help you along the way.  

Yes, a gastric bypass does produce a new way of life.  A life of being thin, of being healthy, of being active, of not being seen as the "fat" person when you come into a room, of fitting easily into an airplane seat, of not worrying that you might break an old wooden chair when you sit in it, of not sweating, and most importantly of knowing that you probably will live decades longer (to be with your family, children etc).  Oh, and you can buy (and enjoy) normal sized clothes too.

When you look at a gastric bypass, I suggest that you not focus on the few weeks before and after surgery, but instead focus on the many many wonderful years (and decades) of life after surgery as a thinner and healthier person.

We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey.  

Thanks I embarrass all the help I can get. I am a newbie and am waiting to have the surgery done. I want to know all there is to know from the experienced parties so that I won’t make unnecessary mistakes and incorporate good habits and behavior 

Edited by Kimberly Brown
Left out word

On 10/11/2021 at 2:29 AM, Kimberly Brown said:

Thanks I embarrass all the help I can get. I am a newbie and am waiting to have the surgery done. I want to know all there is to know from the experienced parties so that I won’t make unnecessary mistakes and incorporate good habits and behavior 

@Kimberly Brown I suggest that you spend a few hours reading posts on this website, and then let us know if you still have any questions.

I have never regretted having my gastric bypass (except that I wish that I had the surgery earlier in my life).

We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey.