This is my first post... I just found the notes from my psych eval on Healow (the app the clinic uses for communication and record keeping) one of the "problems" now listed in my chart is "eating disorder - unspecified type." I'm dumbstruck, shocked, scared, don't know what to say... The only time we talked about my eating I said I was a "grazer" and tended to eat throughout the day and didn't really eat set meals other than dinner. But other than that we didn't really talk about my eating habits. Now I'm worried this is going to derail things.  Here I'm thinking this was the last hoop I needed to get through and that I was going to get my date this week and now I don't even know!  I've messaged the psychologist to hopefully get some feedback. Did anyone else have that designation in their chart? What happened with it? Any input would be appreciated.  TIA...

Lara

This is just one step in a lifelong process in the attempt to get your body to a healthier weight.  I know in the moment, it is very stressful to be so close to your goal of having weight loss surgery and then to have this seemingly insurmountable barrier put between you and the goal.  I have been there.  Two years ago this month, I "failed" the psych evaluation for my own weight loss surgery and the therapist declined to provide approval for me to proceed.  While I was never given any formal diagnosis, it was determined that I needed to work through some of my issues with a therapist prior to WLS to ensure the best outcome for me would be within reach.  I now, as then, disagree with that delay in my process, but I also know that by following the plan laid out for me (about 12 weeks of therapy sessions) I was able to gain the approval of the therapist and then proceed with my WLS.  Now, 2 years later, I am 10 pounds from my "never gonna get there" goal and those 12 weeks of therapy are but a bump in the road to a healthier me.

I know it's disappointing and difficult in the moment; but keep yourself focused on the end goal and not on the day to day minutia that gets you there.  Stay motivated and always remember that you deserve the best treatment plan available, not the one laid out in your own mind.  Work with your weight loss team, they also want you to succeed.  

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I did get a response to my email.  She said it is a common diagnosis for people pursuing bariatric surgery and that it is simply relating to weight gain relating to excess calories (and nothing to do with anorexia or bulimia) .  She also said this diagnosis won't hinder me from pursuing bariatric surgery.  I can attest to that as I got my surgery date this morning (June 23rd).

Congrats on the milestone of getting a date set. We all wish you the best and nothing but success with your decision to have WLS.  It's both exciting and scary, but also the best decision for my health that I have ever made.  I hope that you will feel the same in the years to come.  Remember that surgery is just the beginning, after that the hard work begins!