I gotta ask ...

Bypass patients ... 

How much food do you actually eat 6 months, a year or so out? 

My surgery is scheduled next month and I'm nervous as heck. I know that things will change and mindset will be different but right now I only know what I know. The idea of eating 4-8 ounces max at each meal is so strange and seems like I'll be hungry and unhappy or even envious or left out (even from family dinners). 

So, tell me truthfully ... how is it? Are you really feeling full and not thinking about it? Are you obsessed with food and how much you can or can't have? Does/can food be enjoyable and not something you constantly think about? 

Ok. Honest question asked.   

I am 5 years out. You don't have physical hunger. I'm very careful about portions and by now that's normal. I eat what everyone else eats, just less of it.

I'm not envious because I am healthy and have a normal BMI. I just wish I had done the surgery years earlier.

Hello,

I am 9 months out and down 50 lbs. I eat almost normally now. Its less than before of course, but semi normally. I eat all kinds of food although meats occasionally feel hard going down. I listen to my body and when thing feel full i stop eating. I eat 3x a day with one snack and that works for me. I eat a wide variety of protein especially vegetarians protein since its easier going down (eggs, beans, etc.) I am so grateful for this surgery and the better quality of life. My blood pressure is normal first time in many years and i feel like i can breathe normally. I am in the "overweight" BMI and for me thats pretty good. Wishing you the best into a healthier life.

Edited by nattie27

In my experience, I am 18 months out, in the normal weight range and I do not miss the sweets I used to crave so badly.  Sometimes I do think about a cold soda, but I will not go back to it and I am ok with that.  I don't miss anything really, just happy that (so far) the surgery has been a success for me.  

I am almost 4 years out but only 1 year from revision to bypass and I can eat anything in small amounts.   I have to watch my sugar and carb intake or I get sick.  I dont miss the old days and weighing over 300lbs.  Its been very much worth the trade offs.