4 months out/ approximately calorie intake?

Roxy68

Hello. I am 4 months gastric bypass. I am eating 3-4 ounces of food, but notice I snack on rice cakes, tangerines and/or almonds. I have about 1100- 1300 calories a day Is this too much for 4 months out? Please let me know. 

I was 260 and now weigh 186. My goal weight is 155 according to my doctor. Help? 

Great job so far on the weight loss! 

The following is what I have written in the past on "goal weights":

Be sure that you set and then attain the right goal weight - not too high and not too low.  Weight charts and BMI calculators are almost useless in determining the right weight for a particular person.  The proper weight should just feel good and look good.  One person at TTF a few years ago referred to it as your weight "sweet spot."  The easiest way to find your proper goal weight is to keep losing weight until you are too skinny, and your goal weight is about 5 pounds more.  Try not to set a goal weight based on a vanity number or on what you may have weighed in high school or on a particular BMI.  While advice from your surgeon or NUT on a proper goal weight can be helpful, too often they will set a goal weight that is too high in order to make the goal attainable.  Remember, everyone can reach their ideal goal weight after weight loss surgery if they stick to a proper post-op diet; thus, there is no reason to accept a goal weight that is too high. Similarly, a goal weight that is too low can be unhealthy.  if you are all "skin and bones" then you probably need to gain a few pounds.

The calories amounts are fine - but you need to focus on lean protein not rice cakes and tangerines.  This guide may be helpful to you:

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/~/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient Care Services/Departments and Services/Weight and Wellness Center/GBP Diet Manual12611.ashx

We are here to support you.

Thank you for your post. I do eat lean protein. I do need to eat more veggies, tho. My protein levels have always been fine. I just worry that I injest too many calories for 4 months out. 

I think I have to re look at my snacks. I need to find more sites for bariatric snacks. I do eat rice cake, 10 almonds and a tangerine for a snack. Wonder if I eat too many a day ( about 3). May try eating rice cake with PB2 and bananas? I saw that once. 

I appreciate your information.

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2021 at 11:54 AM, Roxy68 said:

Hello. I am 4 months gastric bypass. I am eating 3-4 ounces of food, but notice I snack on rice cakes, tangerines and/or almonds. I have about 1100- 1300 calories a day Is this too much for 4 months out? Please let me know. 

I was 260 and now weigh 186. My goal weight is 155 according to my doctor. Help? 

I'll be 11 years in about two weeks. My calorie goal (I just started logging again) is 1300 per day. I had sleeve surgery, at four months out I was getting in approx 600 calories. Look at the nutritional info. I did almonds too until it got to where I could eat too many. A serving is almost 200 calories. (same for 2 TB of peanut butter!!) Keep frozen, bagged shrimp and dip it in a little cocktail sauce. I don't know about rice cakes, calories etc, but PB2 with half a banana sounds a lot better! Good luck, you're doing very good!!