Hello from Calfornia

trukmek

My name is Kristy, and I Had my Gastric Bypass on February 23rd.  I am a food addict, so the taste of food is my pleasure.  However, now that I've had the surgery, nothing tastes right.  Most of it tastes nasty in fact.  It makes it hard to eat.  I have tried all kinds of recommended recipes, but none of them taste good.  My husband is getting tired of me making/buying something, only for it to go bad in the fridge because I ate a little of it and now the thought of it makes me nauseated. Does this go away? Will any food taste normal again? 

I'm not losing very much, and so far the surgery hasn't been worth it (probably because I'm a food addict and nothing tastes good anymore, LOL).  The one thing I hate the most is that it's not reversible (I know, it is, but it's complex). Not knowing what it will be like after the surgery (we are all different) was an afterthought. I have two sisters who have had the surgery, and they were both successful.  

Thank you for letting me join the group. I've already benefited greatly from others' experiences.  

First of all, welcome to TTF Kristy!  

Having a long term change in taste is not a common side effect of a gastric bypass.  When it does occur, it tends to be an aversion to the taste of high calorie foods (which in the long term should help the transition to the healthy diet that is required for long term success with a gastric bypass).  Here is an article on this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6153588/

It is not due to taste, but I avoid eating high fat foods as they can make me dump (which is not pleasant).  For example, I avoid eating fish & chips, ice cream, doughnuts, and cake (except in very small quantities).  While I miss eating these foods - the joys of being at a healthy weight more than makes up for it.

You should try eating low calorie foods that you liked before your surgery.  In addition, here are a few items that you might want to try - flavored nonfat greek yoghurt (I like Chobani even though it has a few more calories than some other brands), sliced deli meat that is lean and high in protein (such as ham, roast beef, chicken and turkey), nonfat no sugar chocolate pudding (made from skim milk - not the remade type), scrambled eggs, a nice crisp apple, and cheese (in moderation).  Also try different drinks that have little or no calories - for example, Vitamin Water Zero (I like the orange and lemonade flavors), Bai drinks, iced tea (without sugar), etc.  If you like spicy food, adding hot sauce can liven up many dishes.

In my opinion, the best tasting protein shakes are the premixed Premier Protein shakes.  The chocolate flavor is quite good, but the vanilla, strawberry, and cookies & cream flavors are also tasty.  You can find them at Walmart, Costco and many major drug stores.

We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey.

Thank you so much for your welcoming reply, and your information.  Unfortunately the healthy food is making me nauseated.  The yogurt is the only thing I can tolerate without issues.  I have had lean lunch meat (various kinds), chicken thigh meat (no skin, baked without seasonings), lean ground turkey, etc.  I can handle cheese, but it makes me constipated.  Milk is fine, except I'm not a milk drinker.  

I've tried sugar free pudding that I made with fat free milk, but nope!  Monks fruit tastes disgusting, as do other artificial sweeteners. Fruit tastes good, but I'm limited to very little and it doesn't have the protein.

The Premier shakes are great!  My doctor is OK with me having one per day, but wants me to try and get more protein from food.  I'm hoping that my stomach will be more accepting soon to things that are not dairy or fruit.