Surgery Completed Yesterday!!

Just thought I would check back in to let you all know that I had my surgery yesterday!  Everything went well and I am home recovering.  The surgeon said he removed just under 9 pounds of skin.  He did a fleur de lis abdominiplasty and male breast reduction using the donut method.  (The donut method leaves the nipple attached and removes a donut-shaped section of skin around it.  The only scar is around the nipple, which should not be visible.)

The fleur de lis abdominiplasty scars will mostly be covered by a swimsuit or underwear.  The center-line scar will be visible, but I already had that from the Gastric Bypass.  

I awoke wearing a compression garment around my abdomen and a compression vest.  I have two drains in place.  I asked how many stitches they put in and he said they don't really count stitches, but they count needles (which are pre-threaded) and by estimating how many stitches per needle, he figures he put in somewhere around 400 stitches.  The surgeon injected some long-acting numbing medication so my pain is minimal.  

I can remove the compression garments to shower after 2 days, so I have not seen myself uncompressed yet.  Hard to say what the final results will be but I have an inch or so of bandages and compression garments added now.  I used to look down and see my moobs, then my abdominal skin, then the floor.  Right now, when I look down, I see, well... my... um... man parts and my feet on the floor.  :o (Before, even if the abdominal skin were not there, the excess skin on my mons area would have obscured my man-parts.) All of that appears to be gone.  

When I remove the compression garments, I'm sure some will expand, but I am very optimistic based on what I can tell so far!!  I will need to wear them for at least four weeks.  This has actually inspired me to do more muscle-building exercises.  It seemed so pointless before.  It will also allow me to do more aerobic exercise comfortably.  Feels like a new beginning!!!

-Mike-

How exciting!!!  Congratz Mike!  Please continue to let us know how you are doing :)

48 Hours post-op.  (I got to shower so I had my wife take a photo.) Not showing the stitches here, but I am very happy with the outcome so far.  (I had a LOT of skin hanging. So I think this is amazing after only 48 hours.)PSX_20210324_112146.thumb.jpg.e751bde5f92e4ac1d7f30ae7062d04f6.jpg

That's outstanding news Mike and thank you for sharing a picture.  Did your surgeon tell you how much skin he removed?

16 hours ago, cinwa said:

That's outstanding news Mike and thank you for sharing a picture.  Did your surgeon tell you how much skin he removed?

Thank you, and Yes!... Just under 10 pounds of skin went in the bucket!

1 hour ago, Squishy said:

Thank you, and Yes!... Just under 10 pounds of skin went in the bucket!

Good grief!  That's like carrying around a gallon of paint or 1.25 gallons of milk or a bowling ball 24/7!

LOL!  I had not thought about it that way.  But... Yeah I guess I get a bonus of putting down that gallon of milk too!

TammyP, Thank you and I an still doing great.  Very little pain.  I stopped the narcotic pain pills around noon on Wednesday (48 hours post) and am just taking Tylenol.  That has prevented any pain and feels no different than I did with the narcotics.

The only real discomfort is from the compression garments.  I'm not used to them and they always feel like they are digging in somewhere and are itchy.  I know some itching is from healing, but there is a lot that is just from the garments. I just got a second set so I can wash and rotate and the new one is a different design that looks like it might be more comfortable.  I'll need to wear them for 6 weeks.

I'm going to post a new topic about drains, so I won't put that here.:D 

Thank you both for the responses!

-Mike-

Just a quick update... I had my first post-op yesterday and everything is going well.  I am still retaining a lot of fluid and have a lot of swelling, so the drains need to stay in and the surgeon tightened my compression garments to help squeeze it out.  My chest area is obviously swollen and puffy.  My abdomen is flat, but very hard.  Tapping on it is very much like tapping on a ripe watermelon. :lol:

I weighed myself this morning and, even with the excess fluid, I weigh 14 pounds less than before the surgery.  We know that he removed just under 10 pounds of skin, and I have really been focusing on high protein, low carb eating since surgery, so I know I have been losing weight as well.  I'm very curious to see what my weight will be when all this fluid is gone.

Still feeling good and plan to return to work on Monday.  :)