Weight Gain During Cancer Treatment

Thallen84

Hey everyone! I'm back on here, looking for motivation and advice. Long story short, I've just had my first surgery following my final cancer treatment and the biopsy came back all clear! Looks like I beat the odds and tackled esophageal cancer in 16 months. I did not go through chemo, therefore the stress of the situation drove me back into bad eating habits and I put on 30 pounds. I'm 4 years and 3 months post-bypass. I've maintained at 200 pounds (down from 369 at my biggest) and was very proud of myself until recently.

I have packed this weight on over the last 4 months. Winter. Holidays. Cancer. COVID. It all conspired to make for a rough patch, but I'm on the other side of the mountain now and determined to get back down to 200 which is where I'm happy and looking healthy. 

Thoughts? Advice? Words of encouragement? 

Go back to the rules you were given post-op.  Small meals, protien first, low carbs, chew well, no drinking with meals etc. You still have your tool, you just have to learn to use it again.

17 hours ago, Thallen84 said:

I have packed this weight on over the last 4 months. Winter. Holidays. Cancer. COVID. It all conspired to make for a rough patch, but I'm on the other side of the mountain now and determined to get back down to 200 which is where I'm happy and looking healthy. 

Thoughts? Advice? Words of encouragement? 

Congratulations on beating cancer Thallen!

Best advice I can give for getting back on track is to do the "Pouch Reset".  It's not easy but several of my online bariatric friends have found it helpful:  https://www.obesitycoverage.com/the-pouch-reset-losing-weight-after-weight-regain/