Anyone taking Anti inflammatories (nsaids)

I'm very aware that for those of us who have had gastric bypass shouldn't take anti inflammatories because they can promote ulceration in our small stomachs. However, I'm in constant chronic pain from stenosis,failed back surgery and have had 3 fractures front osteoporosis. For the past 12 months been on opiates but obviously need to find an alternative.

Has anyone been on anti inflammatories for more than a few days? with or without stomach protection? I would be glad to hear any of your experiences.☺

I was prescribed them with my surgeon's consent about 3 years after my bypass. His caveat was they had to be taken with PPIS. By the 4th day I was experiencing reflux so stopped taking them. Then the abdominal pain started. My PPIs were increased over time to the maximum dose of the strongest available in my country, (no NSAIDS after day 4), until an endoscopy was possible (Covid stopped elective surgeries where I Live), and the surgeon found a small anastomotic ulcer. It's up to you if you want to take the risk with NSAIDS,  but I certainly never will again.

Edited by Aussie Bear
Spelling

Sadly, with a gastric bypass we give up a few things that "normal" people can do - driving after having an alcohol drink (or two), taking XL medication, and taking NSAIDS.

1 hour ago, Res Ipsa said:

Sadly, with a gastric bypass we give up a few things that "normal" people can do - driving after having an alcohol drink (or two), taking XL medication, and taking NSAIDS.

Yep!  That's a downside with the bypass.

We're pretty much left with Acetaminophen (Tylenol).  I was never much of a pill popper pre my RNY but I miss the efficacy of of Ibuprofen.

Well, that's the ol' anti inflammatories out of the picture...Aussie bear,that sounds awful. Thank you ALL so much for taking the time to reply to me-I pretty much guessed the answer but was hoping that I could 'chance it' even for a week to give me a reprieve, but won't be doing that!

:)

5 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Can you explain about alcohol PLEASE? As 1 small glass of wine is enough for me, I am usually the driver...but often wondered if I was breathalised whether (because of small stomach)I would be over the limit .Is this what you mean?

When you have a gastric bypass, you will absorb alcohol very quickly.  So, sadly, please do not drink and drive.  You will be over the legal limit.  Not fair, I know.