How's Everyone Doing With The Winter Weather?

I'm at the base of Mt.Rainier in WA and we've had a good 6-8" of snow with some drifts so couldn't get out of the gate even if I wanted too and we have no running water because it's frozen (we have a well). Thankfully, we plan ahead and always have a few gallons of bottled distilled water to hand.

I had a short walk down the drive with Sam (chocolate labrador).  Normally, I could walk her all day long and she'd still want more but not today - she did what she had to then decided to turn around and head for home.

Summer here in Australia...haha! Seriously though, can't wait for it to be over as I know from experience we still have a LOT of 100+ degree days left before it starts to cool down again. I admit I look at pictures of snow and think how beautiful,  romantic even....but it never snows where I live (I'm in desert territory),  so don't even think about how snow would be so restrictive.

Hooray, I'm actually going to post a response shortly after the post.  Over in Yakima, WA here and we've a whole 3" of powder snow (very light, small flakes - not good for snowfolk building).  But I've only been here 3 winters.  I'm used to winters where you get 3-6" a day, 4wd is mandatory as is a snowblower so its all good as far as I'm concerned.  We had very cold weather (15F) for a couple days but it's 25F today and due to be 50F on Tuesday.  I'm looking at getting a step machine as I need more steps and I'm on a country road with no sidewalks and lousy shoulders so road walking can be hazardous to my health.

We had more snow overnight - fresh snow on top of the overnight freezing of the snow we had yesterday doesn't make for good walking.  And it brought some cow elk into our yard which woke Sam up at 2.30 this morning - what a fuss she kicked up about that.  I never managed to get back to sleep after that so I suspect I'll be in bed early tonight.

Here in upstate New York, we've had one major snowstorm...I can't even remember how long ago, but I know it was before Christmas. Our son bought us a snowblower for Christmas, but it arrived literally one day after the storm, lol. I believe we got about 30" of snow from that storm. I was shoveling for about 4 1/2 hours, and Devin's boyfriend, my son, and David all came out to help at different intervals. We've had a few smaller "storms" like 3 or 4 inches here and there. But a couple of days ago we were supposed to get 5-9", and instead we got about 3" and then about an inch of ice on top of that. Fun ;) All in all, I really can't complain, except for the fact that our heating system needs some new parts and pooped out on us Monday night. David is back to work as of February 8th (YAYAY!!!!) but he is working out of state and had to leave  5am Tuesday, and no parts were to be found Monday evening. So we are using electric heaters until he gets home Friday evening.

Edited by Nana Trish
On 2/14/2021 at 2:11 AM, Aussie Bear said:

Summer here in Australia...haha! Seriously though, can't wait for it to be over as I know from experience we still have a LOT of 100+ degree days left before it starts to cool down again. I admit I look at pictures of snow and think how beautiful,  romantic even....but it never snows where I live (I'm in desert territory),  so don't even think about how snow would be so restrictive.

The snow can be very beautiful, and yes, even romantic. There's nothing like taking a walk in the snow at sunset...no cars on the road...it's so pretty. But as far as being restrictive? It's pretty horrible getting 30" of snow in one storm and having to shovel for 4-5 hours straight, with cars sliding all over the road, and your windshield wipers getting frozen to the windshield...that kind of takes the romance out of it, lol. I hope it cools down for you soon ♥️

It's been Armageddon here in Dallas and most of Texas.  We lost power for 16 hours and single digit temps made things awful.  I am grateful we only had 16 hours without power, many have had no power for days.  I grew up in Minnesota so I am no rookie to the cold.  Major differences in the south for those not familiar:

1)  No snowplows or salt on the roads.  You just wait for it to thaw~

2) Black ice is no joke

3) No one even owns a snow shovel here

4) There is very little insulation in the homes here so any heat dissipates very quickly.

We are fortunate as no pipes have burst yet.  Our hot water heater pipe was frozen but we were able to thaw it with a space heater to have hot water again once our power was restored on Tuesday.  I have had to file an insurance claim as our inground pool froze over with no power and the pool pump and equipment have frozen and cracked.  Again, we are grateful as things are much worse for many here.  Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated <3

22 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Here in upstate New York, we've had one major snowstorm...I can't even remember how long ago, but I know it was before Christmas. Our son bought us a snowblower for Christmas, but it arrived literally one day after the storm, lol. I believe we got about 30" of snow from that storm. I was shoveling for about 4 1/2 hours, and Devin's boyfriend, my son, and David all came out to help at different intervals. We've had a few smaller "storms" like 3 or 4 inches here and there. But a couple of days ago we were supposed to get 5-9", and instead we got about 3" and then about an inch of ice on top of that. Fun ;) All in all, I really can't complain, except for the fact that our heating system needs some new parts and pooped out on us Monday night. David is back to work as of February 8th (YAYAY!!!!) but he is working out of state and had to leave  5am Tuesday, and no parts were to be found Monday evening. So we are using electric heaters until he gets home Friday evening.

I don't know that I could cope with that amount of snow Trish.  We're way up in the hills at the base of Mt.Rainier but we've never had even close to that amount. 

They get the snow ploughs out pretty promptly but the major problem we have is our long gravel drive - I have a Ford Explorer with 4 wheel drive but when the snow is deep, it's not going anywhere.  We've had several power outrages but thankfully, we have a generator for the lights and freezers and I have an old wood stove for heat (open plan house) that I can cook on (learnt a long time ago to have cooked stews/casserole in the freezer for times like this).

2 hours ago, TammyP said:

It's been Armageddon here in Dallas and most of Texas.  We lost power for 16 hours and single digit temps made things awful.  I am grateful we only had 16 hours without power, many have had no power for days.  I grew up in Minnesota so I am no rookie to the cold.  Major differences in the south for those not familiar:

1)  No snowplows or salt on the roads.  You just wait for it to thaw~

2) Black ice is no joke

3) No one even owns a snow shovel here

4) There is very little insulation in the homes here so any heat dissipates very quickly.

We are fortunate as no pipes have burst yet.  Our hot water heater pipe was frozen but we were able to thaw it with a space heater to have hot water again once our power was restored on Tuesday.  I have had to file an insurance claim as our inground pool froze over with no power and the pool pump and equipment have frozen and cracked.  Again, we are grateful as things are much worse for many here.  Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated <3

I've been watching the news Tammy - it showed some poor people in Texas with zero power, freezing conditions and water pouring through their ceiling.

My heart goes out to people having to deal with that - especially the elderly, disabled and those with babies and young children.  You can bet I'll be holding you and everyone else affected by this awful weather in my thoughts and prayers.

Kansas has seen no more than 5 or 6 inches of snow at a time which is pretty typical for us in the Eastern part of the state, I know there has been more in the north and west parts.  Mostly though the sub zero temps have been the newsmakers, with almost a week below zero with wind chills in the -20 to -40 degrees F.  While we get those kind of temps occasionally, they never last this long, so to have it be in the mid 20's today feels like Spring!  We had rolling blackouts throughout the week, with our electricity going off randomly for 1 to 3 hours to conserve power in the grid so there was enough for vital services. Our home is only 3 years old so it's well-insulated with good windows so even with the power off for 3 hours the temp didn't drop below 60.  Many people were in far worse shape, with interior temps in the 40's and 50's.  Still, nothing even close to what Texas was experiencing because we knew it was temporary.  You can make through a couple of hours of almost anything.  Hearing from family in the Austin area during that same time was just heart breaking.  No power for 27 hours, then it came on for 4 hours only to go off for another long stretch.  Lost water on the 4th day.  They at least had a wood burning fireplace and plenty of firewood so could keep one room a survivable temp.  Still, it remains to be seen what the damage will be.  So many sad stories out of Texas, my heart and prayers go to all who are struggling there.

I tend to bake a lot when it's cold.  With the random power outages I didn't do much of that because you never knew when it was going to be "your turn" again, and I didn't want my oven going off in the middle of a batch of something. So, not so many goodies around for temptation so I suppose that was a benefit of the power outages lol.

On 2/17/2021 at 4:28 PM, Nana Trish said:

Well, I guess I'm just a bad luck magnet this month! After David got home that Friday, he replaced the malfunctioning parts of the heating system with all new ones, and we had heat!! Oh was it nice to be warm again after being without heat for almost 5 days! He didn't get finished with the plumbing until almost 3am. So we went to bed, and woke up to a phone call from my son (who lives in our basement apartment) saying that his floor was soaked and he could hear water rushing behind the wall :wacko: So David got up, ran downstairs, and found that there was a ton of water under the flooring, and he could hear the water behind the wall as well. We knew there had to be a "small leak" in the system somewhere, but had no idea where...because with the original valve being clogged, there wasn't enough water pressure running through the system to cause a major leak. So in the crawlspace he goes, with his flashlight...he sees the leaking pipe...it looks like someone had put a garden hose up there and left it running full bore for 5 hours!! So he got out of the crawlspace, cut a hole in the ceiling of my son's bedroom, and fixed the leak. But now, we have a floor that needs to be completely replaced, and he has to repair the ceiling. We had to wait for the insurance adjuster to come to the house on Monday to see if they can at least give us some $$ above our $500 deductible to help with the cost. We still don't know yet.

Fast forward to Monday...David leaves for New Hampshire again, and I meet with the insurance lady. She was very nice, asked questions, took pictures and measurements, and all that. Literally 10 minutes after she left, I went into the coffee bar to grab a mug for some tea, and I notice that the bar top was soaked. I grabbed a towel and dried it up before I looked up at the ceiling. There was an ice jam on the roof just above the bar, and apparently started leaking during the night. When I looked up, there was water leaking out of one of our ceiling fans, huge water bubbles under the paint in like 3 places in the ceiling waiting to burst, and leaks in a couple of other spots!! :angry: If I had found the leak when the adjuster was still here, we could have combined the claims. But because I didn't, we now have 2 $500 deductibles :eek: So I got every trash can, bucket, towel and tarp I could find, and proceeded to climb the ladder and pop all of the bubbles. The water was everywhere. After I was sure I had something under each of the leaks, I climbed out of the upstairs bedroom window and proceeded to shovel all of the loose snow off the roof...for 4 solid hours. There was nothing I could do with the actual ice jam though. David will be home tonight, so he can assess the damage. The entire ceiling needs to be replaced, as does the roof. I've gotta tell you, I really must have ticked God off in a big way. I'll attach pics of the damage. So this winter really bites.....

IMG_20210223_223138078.jpg

IMG_20210223_213817750.jpg

IMG_20210223_213807213.jpg

IMG_20210223_213825819.jpg

Edited by Nana Trish

Oh Trish - I can't tell you how sorry I am that you are having to deal with that.  

I don't have any words of inspiration - I've never had anything even remotely close to that happen.  Just know that your'e in my thoughs and I'm sending you a huge cyber-hug.

We are good!  44 here!  It’s a heat wave!  2 weeks ago it way -20!  Yes imagine we still have 2 blizzards in us?”!   Hate winter/love the grandkids!!