Weight Lifting Supplements Questions DAA, BCAA, Creatine

So, First post here.

What I'm looking for here is advice on what I should do in terms of weight lifting supplements. I'm losing weight pretty well, but I'm afraid I'm going to get smaller then I want to personally be. I made the decision recently to start introducing some supplements into my diet to try and increase my muscle mass, or build some more muscle even while being at a caloric deficit. I don't know if I'm being dumb about this, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any advice. Currently my Diet has me sitting around 1000 calories a day give or take 100-200 calories. I'm approximately 5 months out from surgery, the first couple of months I did myself a disservice by not really watching what I was eating and I lost weight, but I was under and off by about 10% less then what my Dr. wanted me at for the low end of weight loss. So I've been trying to amp up my exercise and really watching my diet. Currently I'm doing crossfit, been doing it now for the past 5 weeks. I've been seeing a good increase to my weight lost, but I want to see more. I know my body can only do so much, but I want to push it for other reasons right now. So I'm looking for a way to increase my workout performances to try and build some muscle and increase my weight lost. So I bought some supplements and I want to know if anyone has any experience with any of these and what I can expect if I take them.

BCAA Capsules 1000mg  (2:1:1 ratio Leucine, isoleucine, valine)

Micronized Creatine Monohydrate Powder

D-Aspartic Acid (DAA)

Any Advice is appreciated. My current plan from my research was to do as followed, but again any advice is appreciated.

So I was going to load up for 4 days with Creatine Powder 5g 4 times daily with meals and 1 time before bed to start, then . The BCAA I was going to take 1 pill with breakfast cause my workout is generally about 30 mins afterwards, and take 1 pill afterwards which totals out to be 10g total of BCAAs (I'm just wondering if I should take both post, or pre, or if 1 and 1 is good). Then for the DAA I was going to 2 weeks on 1 week off, and mix it in with the creatine powder when I eat breakfast. I was just going to take the DAA with breakfast each day.

So my breakdown I have is this

Breakfast - Creatine Powder 5g
                    1 BCAA Pill 5g
                    DAA 5g

Lunch, Dinner, Before Bed  - 5g Creatine powder for first 4 days, then Only doing the breakfast regiment

I know your supposed to take creatine with carbs to help in get absorbed better because of insulin, so for my plain breakfast I was thinking of doing either

2 eggs - 140cal 
2 slices of Toast -90 Cal -about 40carbs
                      or

1 pack of Quaker Oats Brown Sugar Oatmeal and 1 tbsp of PB - 250 cal - 36 carbs
                      or

1 Small Apple - 90 cal -25carbs
2 Tbsp PB - 190 cal - 6 carbs
4oz Milk FF - 45 cal - 6 carbs

Your weight loss success so far is wonderful.  As a guy (who had a gastric bypass, lost his excess weight, and has kept it off) I am impressed!

My modest suggestion is to focus on losing your excess weight over the nest few months and year through following a healthy diet low in calories and high in lean protein, and not focus on supplements.  Of course, while you are losing weight you can and should exercise and lead an active lifestyle.

We are here to support you.

Thank you on the words of encouragement. I just have a lot of drive right now, and a lot of motivation from a recent break up. Even though I know I'm losing weight, I just don't want to meet my goals, I want to exceed them. I'm just dedicating myself fulling to this transformation out of pure spite, anger, motivation, or whatever you want to call it. I just have a huge chip on my shoulder and I plan on using that to fuel me as far as I can get with it. Why I'm so hellbent on trying to make sure I'm building muscle along with dropping weight. Over the past week I lost another 4lbs. I really won't know how much weight I've lost or muscle I've gained until after I get through this first month as a good test group. One thing I can say already is that I don't feel as tired after my workouts after the first week. I don't know if that is because of the supplements or because of me getting more used to the work outs. Today was a pretty intense one also. 5 sets of 2 mins rowing 2:00 Min/500m pace, 40 sec beak inbetween; 4 sets 2:00min/500m pace, 40 sec break, 3 sets 2:00:/500m pace 40 sec break, 24:00min total Rowing - I was able to average 1:59, 2:01, 2:00 for my 500m average for each set. :)

But again any supplement advice welcome this is all new to me and I'm just kind of winging it.

One reason that you may not be as tired after your workouts is that you are lighter.  You are exercising with a much lighter body, which is much easier on your body (and heart).

As I used to travel a lot (prior to COVID :(), I think of weight loss in terms of the heavy suitcases that one can check for long flights (which are about 40 pounds).  So for me, I have lost (and kept off) the equivalent of three heavy suitcases.  In other words, every minute of every day I am no longer carrying the equivalent of the three heavy suitcases.  No wonder I now feel less tired and much more healthy, and rarely sweat.

We are here to support you.

5 hours ago, Ric said:

I just have a lot of drive right now, and a lot of motivation from a recent break up. Even though I know I'm losing weight, I just don't want to meet my goals, I want to exceed them. I'm just dedicating myself fulling to this transformation out of pure spite, anger, motivation, or whatever you want to call it. I just have a huge chip on my shoulder and I plan on using that to fuel me as far as I can get with it. 

No supplement advice from me simply because I'm not into them, nor the ripped weightlifter body....but each to their own.

What I do want you to think about is your motivation. Spite, revenge, anger etc will only go so far as motivation. They aren't healthy emotions in anyway, and believe it or not, they are fleeting in the scheme of life. When eventually you move on to another partner, or even decide you don't need one, where is the motivation then. Try to switch it up, it's an easy turn around to make your motivation all about you, rather than to hurt someone else. It will make you a happier, and therefore more attractive, person. It also won't disappear with the changing circumstances of others.

• 3 weeks later...

You need protein to build muscle.  You may be better off to increase your lean protein intake instead of the supplements.  The supplement industry is a lot like the "diet" industry; over-promising on what can be accomplished with their over-priced potions. 

Bottom line is, you're doing great!  Don't let a breakup influence/drive the decisions you make regarding your health; do this for you, you're worth it!