Lack of Energy, Shortness of Breathe!!

Alayna

I know from reading other threads and from my doctor that I would experience a slight lack of energy, but I was just wondering if it is normal to get more out of breath from just walking up the stairs, or things that normally, wouldn't tire me out.

I would walk up the stairs before and my heart rate would be relatively "normal" for my weight, but just today, I walked upstairs and my heart was pouding as though I had just run up stairs and it took a few minutes to settle down again.

Has anyone else experienced this, and will it stop once I start eating normally again (I have just been on fluids for the past 4 weeks)

x

I recall when I had the surgery 10/23, and was walking 1 mile every day, I didn't get winded or super tired or anything......I never did do stairs though. After that nice week of walking and feeling great, I developed a blockage, had to have another surgery, and then got pneumonia, so I'm not a good one to respond I guess. Right now I get out of breath taking a shower! lol!

Still, I have a couple of girls I work with who had the surgery and they said they got very tired in the beginning...1 of them even had to sit on the bed to dry her hair in the morning! So, perhaps what you are experiencing is normal, but just in case, I'd give your doctor a call. Never hurts to run stuff by him or his nurse. Better to check it out. Good luck! Hope you are feeling better soon.

You had open surgery, which you have to recognize is different from a lot of people on this board who had LAP. With open you have to take it real easy for the first 6 weeks to heal.

I could only walk down the street and back. It wasn't until I was 8 weeks out that I could actually go for a good decent walk.

Take it easy.......BUT......if the shortness of breath continues or things don't seem quite right, give the doctor a call.

Hi . I Just Wanted To Give My 2 Cents. I Had My Surgery Oct 10 . I Was Very Winded At First Also But I Think Thats Cuz The Bottom Portion Of My Lungs Collasped After Surgery. So I Was On Oxygen Til The Day I Left The Hopsital. I Was Quite Tired All The Time Too. But Now 6+ Weeks After Surgery Im Not Winded At All And I Have Alot Of Energy , Not Sure If That Has Something To Do With The Biotin Im Taking ( Something To Do With Turning Fats And Carbs I Eat Into Energy) I Think? Anyways I Hope You Start To Feel Better Soon. I Think Almost Everyone Feels Like Crude After Surgery For Awhile. But It Does Get Better Day By Day Especially After You Start A Soft Diet And So On.

You're still a a baby and are still healing - keep resting and walking slowly. That winded feeling will go away and eventually you will be bounding up the stairs without a thought :)

Well said.

During the first week, I attempted to wash my own hair in the shower (which I always do) I got light headed and faint I had to sit down in the shower for like 15-20 each time just to get through washing my hair! That was a nightmare. The doc said I may have been dehydrated.

Take care of yourself.

Well said.

During the first week, I attempted to wash my own hair in the shower (which I always do) I got light headed and faint I had to sit down in the shower for like 15-20 each time just to get through washing my hair! That was a nightmare. The doc said I may have been dehydrated.

Take care of yourself.

Yep - dehydration can really throw you for a loop, and I think that is why I was so tired and winded and out of it for the first 3 weeks. Once I started to force myself to drink (and found something that would stay down), I felt a world of difference and never want to feel that way again, so drinking is job #1 for me every day :D

64 oz is the minimum.....according to my papers. It's hard to do, but I've been getting better at it every day. I also have pneumonia, so am supposed to have more fluids because I'm on O2 and 2 antibiotics. I can't drink regular stuff..for me it has to be really cold or really hot...and since it's freezing here, I've been having lots of hot chocolate and decaf lipton tea. I do love sf popsicles too....they help quench the thirst! Good luck!