Worse body image now than before my bypass

So its 3 years in feb since my op and until 6 months ago i was stuck at 5 stone loss, something kickstarted again and I'm now at 7 stone 8lb lost BUT the more i lose the more ashamed i feel about my body, the excess skin is so bad in certain areas that its affecting my relationship with my husband. I hate him touching me or looking at me even though i know he genuinely doesn't care about it i used to dream of the day i could stop wearing long tops that cover all the worst bits but i still have to wear them to cover my bulging flabby skin 

48E63326-0389-48CE-BAC4-0C37E49A6709.png

I'm the same. I was doing okay at first but when I hit about 2.5 years it did really start to bother me. My hubby died before I had my WLS, so that part wasn't really an issue at the time. I've found though that the more time passes there worse I feel about myself. I'm on a surgical waitlist for abdominoplasty,  but Covid put that on hold as in my country elective surgeries weren't allowed for about 6 months, and even now it is only really medically necessary elective surgeries that are being done. I swear all my fat that's left is making its way into the apron area, there's only one solution to the problem,  and there's nothing at present that I can do about it.

Yes the skin issues suck !!  I tell myself its better then the alternative and I truly believe that.   I would much rather be smaller with loose skin then morbidly obese any day and some of us do not have the luxury of being able to afford skin removal surgeries.  I am trying to learn to love myself just the way I am.  We all deserve to love and embrace our new selves.   We have all gone through too much just to get here to keep taring ourselves down.

54 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

Yes the skin issues suck !!  I tell myself its better then the alternative and I truly believe that.   I would much rather be smaller with loose skin then morbidly obese any day and some of us do not have the luxury of being able to afford skin removal surgeries.  I am trying to learn to love myself just the way I am.  We all deserve to love and embrace our new selves.   We have all gone through too much just to get here to keep taring ourselves down.

That'd make a great tattoo!

I'm with you 100% Tracy and fact is, it's doubtful that I would have been alive today had I not had WLS.

I had my surgery through the Military system (my DH is a retired career Air Force) and I knew from the beginning that excess skin removal would not be covered unless it proved a problem (rash issues etc).

I'm aware that had I been younger (I'm now 65) then the excess skin issue might have been a problem but as it is, even in my jeans, a loose shirt/blouse, no one else is any the wiser.

I did have myself convinced I was okay about the loose skin. Then my surgeon told me that abdominoplasty is part of the bariatric process/service in the hospital where I had my revision...it's 100% covered by the government (we pay a levy in our taxes to fund the public hospital system in Australia).  There are very strict criteria for approval though. Surprisingly it isn't about rashes or skin breakdown though. It's about weightloss, maintenance over an extended time, and pyschological readiness. The biggest part of the assessment process I found was the  pyschological assessment. This was all to do with body image and how that affects your life, expectations of surgery, physical limitations etc. Of course there was a physical exam and criteria to meet in that regard, but that was the easy part of the assessment for me. Once mine was approved, I just couldn't go back to my previous state of acceptance regarding my loose skin. There was a way to get rid of it, and I want it done. How long that takes given the state of the world,  is anyone's guess.