Today is my one year anniversary of gastric bypass surgery.  One year ago today I was a nervous wreck, but was determined to change my life for the better.  In one year, I have dropped 145 pounds, gone from a size 46 pants to a 31, 3XL shirt to a large, eliminated arthritic pain in my knees, hips, feet, ankle, eliminated sleep apnea, eliminated shortness of breath and improved my mental and emotional health.  All in all, I call that a success story.

I am still 10 pounds from my goal, which is disappointing; and my weight loss has stopped for the last 3 months.  I tell myself that I can still lose the last 10 pounds and I will.  But I have been struggling with snacking between meals and I know that is my problem.  

Overall, I have zero regrets about the path I have chosen.  No, it's not been perfect, but it gave me a chance at something better.  What I do with that chance has been, and will continue to be up to me.  

Thanks to all here who have given that word of advice or encouragement over the last 18 months.  It is appreciated!

Thank you for sharing how the past year has gone for you. Your success is an inspiration to us all! :)

Congrats to you. This is a wonderful description of a journey back to health and well being. I am with you on it likewise restoring my health and wellness. Taking it day by day making good food choices. Best of the best to you in your long term journey.

You've done an amazing job Graham.  Get back to basics and focus on  why you chose this path.  YOU CAN DO THIS!

Thanks all for the kind and encouraging words.  I am confident that I will reach my goals- both the number on the scale and better quality of life going forward. 

Any tips on avoiding the snacking would be appreciated...My snacks are healthy, GB diet approved, like nuts, cheese sticks, turkey meat sticks, protein bars, but they all have calories and add up.  Some of my eating is stress related, some is emotional, some is out right hungry eating.  I eat high protein meals three times a day, usually 4-4.5 ounces of lean protein, one or two bites of a vegetable.  Not much else.  I don't drink any calories.  Almost no carbs.  Never any sugars.  No soda.  

12 minutes ago, Second_Chance_Graham said:

Any tips on avoiding the snacking would be appreciated...

My best advice is to try drinking no (or very low) calorie drinks whenever you feel the desire to snack, as this should fill you up, take away your appetite, and give you something to do that is not snacking.  I like to drink the Bai and Vitamin Water Zero drinks, but unsweetened ice tea or water (perhaps with a twist of lime or lemon in it) will work fine too.  

Ah!  Nuts!  My Achilles' heel.

Ultimately, I had to stop having them in the house. 

1 oz Planters Mixed Nuts = 170 calories which isn't too bad except I never stopped at 1oz. 

I tried to pretend that they were a great source of protein but realistically, 6 g protein per 1 oz is pitiful compared to something like beef jerky - 1 oz = approx 12g protein, 107 calories and only 3.2g fat compared to 15g fat in 1 oz of Planters Nuts.

So maybe that's the issue....The surgeon told me that nuts would be a good, high protein snack and so that has been my go to option.  I typically have a couple ounces twice a day, so that would be 680 calories!   Oops!  I really need a better solution there. 

Drinking more is good advice, and I will certainly add that to my tool box :)

Congratulations on your weight loss journey !!   Glad you found the culprit of the extra 10 lbs you want to lose.  I like almonds and pistachios and will buy them in single servings sometimes so I dont have a bag of them in the house calling my name. LOL

I find drinking something helps me.  I like sf lemonade drinks sticks in water with a slice of lemon.  I don’t like plain water..i have been buying beef sticks that were 60 calories.  One of them takes the edge off..an apple is dense and will more than fill me up.  No protein but I get my required amount in..

Apples make me sooooo hungry!  I rarely eat fruit, but if I do have a few apple slices i try to pair them with a little protein, like all natural peanut butter or a cheese stick.  

Thanks for the advice, I am trying to drink more (as I know I should!) and it is helping.  I have dropped a couple pounds over the last week and continue to inch towards my goal.