Hello everyone, my name is Tom. I'm having a gastric bypass on Friday, November 6. I'm quite aprehensive about it as I've never had surgery before. I'm 63 years old and for the last 30 years, I've been trying to lose weight and keep it off. Over the last ten years people have been trying to steer me towards bariatric surgery and I've always resisted. I've always said, okay, if I don't lose this much by this date, i'll do it. I have felt as a matter of pride that I should be able to do it myself, but a year ago I finally realized, if I was going to do it myself, I would have done it. I have type 2 diabetes and stopped taking my ozempic shots before starting the optifast. My blood sugar has come down in an amazing amount on the optifast pre-surgery diet. I'm hoping the same happens with my blood sugar. However much time I have left in life, I want to spend it being healther and more active and having more fun. 

Welcome to Thinner Times @Tom Wilkinson. Best wishes for a safe surgery and a successful bypass. I was 58 when I had mine, and a few months later was within a "healthy BMI" range for the first time in my life. If you work your bypass, you will be successful. 

I notice you're in Canada. It's seems a pretty short time frame from your decision to your surgery (just going by what people say about the Canadian health system. Have you been in a bariatric program for a long time but just not decided on surgery until a about a year ago, or does Canada have a private insurance system that runs alongside the public healthcare system like we do here in Australia (the UK also have dual systems to short cut wait times).

You are doing the right thing.  We are here to support you.  I have never regretted having my gastric bypass.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone, and @Aussie Bear to answer your question, I began going to a weight loss clinic in 2019. They referred me to the bariatric program in fall of 2019 and I attended an info session, which kind of scared the heck out of me. I marked myself down as thinking about it, and they did not contact me back. In January of 2020 my new doctor again referred me there and since I was still active in the program, I got a call from the hospital about 30 minutes after leaving the doctor’s office. Since then, I have attended numerous sessions with nurses, dieticians, doctors, and social workers, been scoped, poked, prodded and covid only really changed it to virtual meetings. Had my consent appointment in October and surgery was successful last Friday. Other than the terrible gas cramping, I’ve had no real pain from the surgery. Post-op I got A-fib and have to see a cardiologist about that. All of this has been in the public health care system. At the beginning of the bariatric program, they tell you it is about an eight month to a year process, and my surgery fell within those timelines. Cheers!

4 hours ago, Tom Wilkinson said:

Thank you everyone, and @Aussie Bear to answer your question, I began going to a weight loss clinic in 2019. They referred me to the bariatric program in fall of 2019 and I attended an info session, which kind of scared the heck out of me. I marked myself down as thinking about it, and they did not contact me back. In January of 2020 my new doctor again referred me there and since I was still active in the program, I got a call from the hospital about 30 minutes after leaving the doctor’s office. Since then, I have attended numerous sessions with nurses, dieticians, doctors, and social workers, been scoped, poked, prodded and covid only really changed it to virtual meetings. Had my consent appointment in October and surgery was successful last Friday. Other than the terrible gas cramping, I’ve had no real pain from the surgery. Post-op I got A-fib and have to see a cardiologist about that. All of this has been in the public health care system. At the beginning of the bariatric program, they tell you it is about an eight month to a year process, and my surgery fell within those timelines. Cheers!

That's so short a time from what I've heard from others in Canada. I guess it could be different a cross different provinces though. In Australia,  in the government funded system, people are looking at around 7-8 years from initial referral to actual surgery. It really is a get a referal then try to forget about it for a few years and continue to live your life until you eventually get called into start the long process.

Congrats on the surgety though, hope the A-fib gets sorted quickly

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats.  I was 61 when I had my surgery and wish I had done it sooner.  Every day is better and better and by the time a year rolls around life will be great.