Hi Everyone.  I am wondering if there is anyone struggling to reset their pouch.  I never reached goal weight - got close, then starting gaining.  Now I'm at 170 and trying hard to reset using the post-op diet.  Today is day one, all clear liquids.  My plan is to do the first 5-10 days as I would if I'd just had surgery.  If anyone else is out there struggling to maintain or to get back in "the game", please help!  I am so thankful I found this forum...I need the support desperately!

According to my surgeon, and others I've read replies from, you can't actually "reset your pouch". You can reset your head by doing some form of crash dieting, but that won't change your pouch physically. The 5 day pouch rest is a bogus concept made up by a bariatric patient (not a doctor and definitely not a surgeon). Some people feel they get success with it and will turn to that first. It will detox you from carbs quickly. I've never done it, but I have gone back to  2 meal replacement shakes plus a lean and green meal a couple of times just to get my head back in the game. I also tried the 5 day egg diet when I was after quick weightloss before an appointment. The egg diet did do the trick weightloss wise, and I didn't miss out on protien. 

Thank you so much for your response.  What is the 5 day egg diet?  Do you just eat nothing but eggs for five days? I like eggs so that doesn't sound like it would be difficult for me.  I just had a protein drink (according to day 2 of the reset diet), and found it did not agree with me.  I am severely lactose intolerant and I am still hurting from only one pre-made drink.  At this rate, it will be impossible for me to continue drinking those - same with the sugar-free pudding.

I agree with you - it's my head I need to get back in the game, but some quick loss will help with that tremendously.  Thanks again..

Cutting carbs, in my opinion, is the quickest way to get back on track. You retain water when you eat carbs, and water weight on top of actual regain, makes you feel like crud. Plus eating carbs makes you crave them, and you tend to eat more junk when you have carb cravings. When I’m trying to get back on track, like I am now, I’ve gone back to my early post op diet, but with a much more realistic idea of calorie intake. I only ate about 800 calories a day, average, for the first year. That is much too low. I shoot for 1,400-1,550 calories a day with under 50 grams of carbs. That works for me. You may have to play around with your numbers a bit, but the low carb approach really works. Plus you need to be sure to drink at least 64 ounces of water or low calorie drinks like crystal light every day. I try to shoot for about 80 ounces a day. Eat lots of protein dense foods first, then add in veggies or healthy snacks after. In my opinion, doing a liquid diet for 10 days would do more harm than good. If you’re trying to lose after a regain, a quick loss probably won’t happen after the water weight is gone. I’ve lost 6 pounds since last Wednesday, but I can tell you it’s all water weight so far. The other 34 pounds I have to lose will take some time. And I’m ok with that. I was at 180 last week, now I’m at 174...looking to get back to 140-145. 

7 hours ago, Texas2 said:

Thank you so much for your response.  What is the 5 day egg diet?  Do you just eat nothing but eggs for five days? I like eggs so that doesn't sound like it would be difficult for me.  I just had a protein drink (according to day 2 of the reset diet), and found it did not agree with me.  I am severely lactose intolerant and I am still hurting from only one pre-made drink.  At this rate, it will be impossible for me to continue drinking those - same with the sugar-free pudding.

I agree with you - it's my head I need to get back in the game, but some quick loss will help with that tremendously.  Thanks again..

It pretty much is eggs (with additional fat) all day. I've always eaten lots of eggs anyway, and this diet by including the extra fat meant I also added my other mainstay....cheese....to each meal. I can honestly say though that by the end of the 5 days I was completely done with eggs for a few weeks. You should be able to google it, that's what I did after coming across it on YouTube and being curious. Eggs can be cooked anyway you want, boiled, scrambled,  omelette,  chaffle etc because of the requirement for extra fat.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never done it, but I have gone back to  2 meal replacement shakes plus a lean and green meal a couple of times just to get my head back in the game.