Help me my daughter doesn't want me to have surgery, I weigh over 600lbs and my daughter says I should not have surgery, and I should just eat right and exercise.What should I tell that I need surgery to help me loss weight.

Help me my daughter doesn't want me to have surgery, I weigh over 600lbs and my daughter says I should not have surgery, and I should just eat right and exercise.What should I tell that I need surgery to help me loss weight.

Oh @April Martinez, I can understand how you feel. But for some of us, if eating right and exercise was the answer, it would have already worked for us. These things will be very important to follow after the surgery too, and that ultimately is what takes off the weight. But that is in addition to the new tool the WLS gives us. It gives us a sense of restriction, which we have lost in our normal bodies after years of abuse. It gives you time to relearn the cues you need to listen to within your body of when to eat, when to stop, and what foods our bodies don't agree with. I know for myself, there was only a select few I would tell about my surgery, because I needed to do it for me, not anyone else. Their lack of understanding wasn't needed during this already daunting process. You need to find what you are comfortable with, weigh all your options, and put you first. Wishing you the best of luck.

What you tell her is that you are having the surgery to save your life, live longer and healthier. 

Most of us will tell you that we wish we had the surgery 1, 3, 5 years sooner.

When I was at 300 pounds I was lucky to get 1,000 steps in a day and exhausted when I did, now 7,500 to 10,000 steps a day is easy.

You do what you need for you to be healthy and happy.  

Relax. You can do this.  If you stay at 600 pounds, you will die a young death, so that is not an option.  Your only chance at a long life is weight loss surgery.  While a gastric bypass is an option, a duodenal switch surgery is the usual option for people who have so much weight to lose.  We are here to support you.

You can do it, but delay is not a viable option.

I had my weight loss surgery many years ago and my only regret is that I did not have it sooner.