Once a dumper always a dumper ?

So I am curious to know if you are a dumper are you always a dumper ?  I didnt know if things change as time passes or if its always like this ?  Thanks in advance.

Very early on I had dumping from drinking milk (due to lactose), but I got over that by the third month after my gastric bypass surgery.  Since then my dumping has been the same - I dump only if I eat moderate to large amounts of high sugar foods that are also high in fat (such as a bowl of ice cream or a plate of birthday cake with ice cream).  As I try hard avoid such foods, I only dump one every 9 months or so (when I get sloppy and eat something that I should have avoided).

Although deep fat fried foods (such as donuts, french fries or deep fat fried fish) do not make me dump, eating them can make me feel quite ill.  So I avoid eating anything more than a bite of any of these foods.

17 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

Very early on I had dumping from drinking milk (due to lactose), but I got over that by the third month after my gastric bypass surgery.  Since then my dumping has been the same - I dump only if I eat moderate to large amounts of high sugar foods that are also high in fat (such as a bowl of ice cream or a plate of birthday cake with ice cream).  As I try hard avoid such foods, I only dump one every 9 months or so (when I get sloppy and eat something that I should have avoided).

Although deep fat fried foods (such as donuts, french fries or deep fat fried fish) do not make me dump, eating them can make me feel quite ill.  So I avoid eating anything more than a bite of any of these foods.

Thank you !!!   So now I know I can expect this for life which is a good thing since I have a sweet tooth at times, LOL.  I wont regain from bad foods,  YAY !!   I have had fried food twice I think but I am not a fried food person so I am not worried about that.   My troubles have always been overeating and that sweet tooth.  I should be safe, fingers crossed.

I was advised to stay away from foods not approved within my post surgical diet plan; so I have done that and have never experienced a dumping episode.  The foods I am supposed to avoid are the foods that helped me become morbidly obese, so why would I want to go back to any of them?  Seems like doing so just to test the waters is self-sabotaging and not a wise road to travel. 

On 9/1/2020 at 9:41 AM, Second_Chance_Graham said:

I was advised to stay away from foods not approved within my post surgical diet plan; so I have done that and have never experienced a dumping episode.  The foods I am supposed to avoid are the foods that helped me become morbidly obese, so why would I want to go back to any of them?  Seems like doing so just to test the waters is self-sabotaging and not a wise road to travel. 

I had the VSG to help me lose weight and be able to eat normal. I knew at that time I would want an occasional treat.  I dont feel like its realistic to think that one would never have that again, but this is me and not everybody.  I also am 3 years out and in maintenance which I have been now for 2 years although I did have to revise 3 months ago to the bypass because of my acid issues.  My major issue when I was obese was the amount of food I would eat in a sitting.  I was not a fast food or big junk food eater.  I pretty much eat all of the things I use to eat just in a lot smaller quantities and I feel good and I think that is the most important thing since I am living the rest of my life like this.  Since having this bypass I have become less interested in food and am losing weight and I really dont want to lose more then 5 more pounds or I am going to look horrible.

I didnt eat off plan during weight loss phase that first year.

Edited by tracyringo
On 8/31/2020 at 3:45 AM, tracyringo said:

So I am curious to know if you are a dumper are you always a dumper ?  I didnt know if things change as time passes or if its always like this ?  Thanks in advance.

I get late dumping when eating too much sugar in combination with alcohol, so it's on very rare occasions since I don't drink much alcohol. As for early dumping. I think I had it a few times but somehow my intestines got desensitized.

You might be a dumper for life or not. Time will tell.

21 hours ago, tracyringo said:

My major issue when I was obese was the amount of food I would eat in a sitting.  I was not a fast food or big junk food eater.  I pretty much eat all of the things I use to eat just in a lot smaller quantities and I feel good and I think that is the most important thing since I am living the rest of my life like this.  Since having this bypass I have become less interested in food and am losing weight and I really dont want to lose more then 5 more pounds or I am going to look horrible.

I didnt eat off plan during weight loss phase that first year.

No reason to justify yourself to other users. You've successfully lost weight, maintain that weight loss and that's proof you're doing things right.