Ten days and counting!

Had my pre-anesthesia appointment today and all my labs done. Still need to have my covid test, but they haven't called yet to do that.

On the LSD, albeit just opting to stay under the carb and cal count without meal replacement shakes (ok'd by my surgeon) - I cannot stand the taste of fake sweeteners, and that's only gotten worse since my VSG.

Ordered some proteins I do like/can stand, like liquacel and the chicken broth protein. Went in and got the standard sugar free hello, refried beans, ricotta, etc. Feeling ready to be over the constant fight with reflux!

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this @delilas. Good luck with your revision tomorrow.  Hope all goes without complication.

@delilas - how are you doing?  Welcome back to the losers bench. :)

On 7/24/2020 at 1:43 PM, delilas said:

Ten days and counting!

Had my pre-anesthesia appointment today and all my labs done. Still need to have my covid test, but they haven't called yet to do that.

On the LSD, albeit just opting to stay under the carb and cal count without meal replacement shakes (ok'd by my surgeon) - I cannot stand the taste of fake sweeteners, and that's only gotten worse since my VSG.

Ordered some proteins I do like/can stand, like liquacel and the chicken broth protein. Went in and got the standard sugar free hello, refried beans, ricotta, etc. Feeling ready to be over the constant fight with reflux!

Hope you are doing well !!   I can hardly wait to hear what you think about your revision !

Thanks guys! Just got home today. Was not expecting the revision to be so much more painful than the sleeve! 

Staff were all wonderful. The whole thing is very deja vu-inducing! Being back on liquids and crushing pills and all that. 

Very glad to be home, but my 1 year old is not amused that I can't pick her up or let her jump around me. Adjustments for everyone!

21 hours ago, delilas said:

Thanks guys! Just got home today. Was not expecting the revision to be so much more painful than the sleeve! 

Staff were all wonderful. The whole thing is very deja vu-inducing! Being back on liquids and crushing pills and all that. 

Very glad to be home, but my 1 year old is not amused that I can't pick her up or let her jump around me. Adjustments for everyone!

I feel your pain !!!  I wasnt expecting it either.  I had a hernia repair and thought that also might have something to do with it.

I am surprised you have to crush pills.  Are you having any problems drinking ?   

15 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

I feel your pain !!!  I wasnt expecting it either.  I had a hernia repair and thought that also might have something to do with it.

I am surprised you have to crush pills.  Are you having any problems drinking ?   

No, thankfully! I had a lot of issues swallowing anything after my VSG but thankfully no problems with my revision so far. I had a hiatal hernia as well so I'm unsure if that's related as well! This afternoon is the first I can get up and down without wanting to scream, so I'll take it! 

Yup, crushed pills except for tiny nausea pill, and full liquids until I see my surgeon on the 18th. Glad I stocked up on protein soups :lol:

How are you doing @delilas ?    So much different from the sleeve for me anyways.

On 8/10/2020 at 9:58 PM, tracyringo said:

How are you doing @delilas ?    So much different from the sleeve for me anyways.

Bored with soft foods and very glad this is only two weeks instead of four like initially with the sleeve! I know I'm eating small amounts but I don't really feel restriction? Surgeon said I may feel less restriction than with my sleeve, which makes me a bit sad. So far nothing that my pouch has refused or sent back up, I hope it stays that way! 

On 8/12/2020 at 9:01 AM, delilas said:

Bored with soft foods and very glad this is only two weeks instead of four like initially with the sleeve! I know I'm eating small amounts but I don't really feel restriction? Surgeon said I may feel less restriction than with my sleeve, which makes me a bit sad. So far nothing that my pouch has refused or sent back up, I hope it stays that way! 

It's not unusual not to feel the same restriction with revision as you did with your original WLS surgery Delias.

Best advice I can give is to follow your plan and I would recommend that you weigh/measure your meals/snacks because even to this day, I couldn't be trusted to guess a 1/2 or full cup of anything.

2 hours ago, delilas said:

I had a real hard time with losing all my restriction.  I was quite freaked out for weeks.   I started coming around to reality around 6 to 8 weeks out and I am doing okay with it now.  I understand how depressing it is at first .   I dump on carbs and sugar, but I am okay with that.  I cannot throw up period.  I have tried when I overate twice since surgery.   Good luck to you !

3 hours ago, cinwa said:

It's not unusual not to feel the same estriction with revision as you did with your original WLS surgery Delias.

Best advice I can give is to follow your plan and I would recommend that you weigh/measure your meals/snacks because even to this day, I couldn't be trusted to guess a 1/2 or full cup of anything.

Definitely been weighing everything. And making sure to give a looooong pause after the first few bites to make sure it's settling well! 

3 hours ago, tracyringo said:

I had a real hard time with losing all my restriction.  I was quite freaked out for weeks.   I started coming around to reality around 6 to 8 weeks out and I am doing okay with it now.  I understand how depressing it is at first .   I dump on carbs and sugar, but I am okay with that.  I cannot throw up period.  I have tried when I overate twice since surgery.   Good luck to you !

Yes, after years of restriction it is very odd to not really feel much. I have not yet discovered if I will dump. I did discovered I can still throw up, just a couple hours after posting early, I got a really sharp pain after eating and the food just came right back up. Unsure what the problem was there, but I took a break from foods and just did liquids for most of the day. Holding 'dinner' down fine now so hopefully just a weird incident.

14 hours ago, delilas said:

Definitely been weighing everything. And making sure to give a looooong pause after the first few bites to make sure it's settling well! 

Yes, after years of restriction it is very odd to not really feel much. I have not yet discovered if I will dump. I did discovered I can still throw up, just a couple hours after posting early, I got a really sharp pain after eating and the food just came right back up. Unsure what the problem was there, but I took a break from foods and just did liquids for most of the day. Holding 'dinner' down fine now so hopefully just a weird incident.

Yes that is strange.  I wish I could throw up.  I freaking did it again last night.  I didnt think I had overeaten but my body told me a different story 30 min later.  I ended up in bed an hour thinking I was dying, ugh.  Finally I got up then I had the shakes.  I figure I had some kind of sugar problem and had a teaspoon of peanut butter to stop the shaking.

Glad to hear your dinner stayed down.  Hopefully you will have a better day today.

10 hours ago, tracyringo said:

Yes that is strange.  I wish I could throw up.  I freaking did it again last night.  I didnt think I had overeaten but my body told me a different story 30 min later.  I ended up in bed an hour thinking I was dying, ugh.  Finally I got up then I had the shakes.  I figure I had some kind of sugar problem and had a teaspoon of peanut butter to stop the shaking.

Glad to hear your dinner stayed down.  Hopefully you will have a better day today.

Oof, that sounds rough! I feel like our sleeves were a little easier to figure out! 

Today has been better. Mostly just focused on getting my water in. I'm behind on protein today but feeling so much better after yesterday.

Had my two week follow up on Tuesday and was doing well...so naturally, Tuesday night I started feeling poorly. Increase right upper belly pain, all foods came back up, even water sat uncomfortably. Called my surgeon's office Wednesday....called again 5 hours later... finally heard back at like 5pm that they would talk to the surgery people. Fast forward to noon today and three more calls and one very angry email and they finally called me and told me they are rolling back my diet, to only add one new food a day, only eat one spoonful per 'meal', only have water based protein shakes, and sending in celebrex. I'm frustrated to no ends because this is the second time I've felt like they just don't care after you've done the surgery :blink: being a nurse myself and having done years in office triage I just can't imagine leaving a patient in pain for three days, much less a post-op patient. Depending on how the next weeks play out, I may look at establishing with a different bariatric office or seeing if I can find a PCP who would be willing to handle my vitamin labs and the like. Ugh. 

I feel the same way after this surgery.  I was very frustrated for the first 6 weeks.  I felt like I had been dumped.

So sorry you are going through all of this.  Luckily I was okay but with these kind of surgeries you would think they would take them more seriously !!  I hope you start feeling better soon.

Sigh. Just got out of the hospital today, there since Sunday for a small bowel obstruction. They're mildly concerned that I may have a constricted area where my stomach joins the intestines, but want to take a conservative approach. So I basically got to lay there for several days with no food or drink until the obstruction resolved, and if it reoccurs, then I'll have to have another surgery for them to find and correct the issue. I'm essentially back to a liquids and thinned puree diet again in the meantime. More than a little frustrated right now, bordering on regretful; my husband reminds me that we made the right decision, long term medication for severe reflux wasn't a good option but damned if it's not hard to be a bit ungrateful. My shining point is that I have more than met my out of pocket and deductible, so anything I've been putting off is definitely getting done this year!

On 8/26/2020 at 2:49 PM, delilas said:

Sigh. Just got out of the hospital today, there since Sunday for a small bowel obstruction. They're mildly concerned that I may have a constricted area where my stomach joins the intestines, but want to take a conservative approach. So I basically got to lay there for several days with no food or drink until the obstruction resolved, and if it reoccurs, then I'll have to have another surgery for them to find and correct the issue. I'm essentially back to a liquids and thinned puree diet again in the meantime. More than a little frustrated right now, bordering on regretful; my husband reminds me that we made the right decision, long term medication for severe reflux wasn't a good option but damned if it's not hard to be a bit ungrateful. My shining point is that I have more than met my out of pocket and deductible, so anything I've been putting off is definitely getting done this year!

I am so sorry you are having issues and hope they resolve on their own.  Glad that you found a shinning point in all of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Delila, I didn’t see this post until after I responded to your other one. I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve had complications :( I’ll be praying for you, and hoping that things are going better for you now ❤️