Aussie Bear

Fleur De Lis Abdominoplasty

Today I was approved for Abdominoplasty.  It wasn't a surgery I ever contemplated seeking out simply for financial reasons let alone any other reasons. However, my bariatric surgeon informed me recently that there are conditions in government funded health system (where I had my RNY bypass), that allow for some WLS patients to be followed up with publically funded abdominoplasty surgery. This was something I wasn't previously aware of. It turned out that under those conditions I had met the very strict criteria. He organised a referral, and today I had my initial consult with the plastic surgeon. After an examination and a ton of questions, he approved me for a Fleur De Lis Abdominoplasty. Terrifying but exciting at the same time. While all the consents and paperwork were completed today, the wait could still be around twelve months. In Australia most elective surgery (and pretty much all cosmetic surgery) is currently banned due to Covid 19, and surgeons have no idea yet how long those bans will stay in place. In my state there haven't been any confirmed Covid 19 cases for over a month now and we still have state borders closed with other states with active Covid 19 cases. As you can probably imagine, with all elective surgeries banned for about 5 months already, and still no end in sight, the waiting times are blowing out with a backlog of surgical approvals to work through. It just seems unbelievable to me that now my name has been added to that waitlist, and a surgery I'd never even contemplated,  is actually looking like it will be happening. 

Have to add though, that if I thought the negative comments I'd heard before my WLS were bad....they were nothing compared to the negative comments I've heard so far about having plastic surgery. I'll definitely be keeping this surgery out of conversation with only the very few people I will need onside for logistical reasons being informed. Fortunately I know this forum is a place of positively,  so I know when I need it, I can find it here. :)

That's exciting, congratulations! I never imagined how much different I would feel once that hanging skin was gone.  It allowed me to feel normal and for clothes to fit better.  And the X-Ray scanner at the airport quit flagging my for having something tucked under my clothes which was mortifying. Nope, just my leftover skin... Hoping the time flies by and all goes smoothly.

11 hours ago, msmarymac said:

That's exciting, congratulations! I never imagined how much different I would feel once that hanging skin was gone.  It allowed me to feel normal and for clothes to fit better.  And the X-Ray scanner at the airport quit flagging my for having something tucked under my clothes which was mortifying. Nope, just my leftover skin... Hoping the time flies by and all goes smoothly.

Thanks. I'm really concerned about this particular surgery to be honest. I will be going ahead with it though. The hanging skin is horrible so I'll be glad to get rid of it. I've unfortunately read some horror stories,  but as I my stomach already looks like I could feature in an episode of botched, I figure even the worst outcome could only be a an improvement. 

Congrats, that is great news for you.  I'm a year post tummy/thigh tuck (paid out of pocket) and don't regret it at all.