Godsgirl5275

Weight gain in hospital

I just got home today, June 26th 2020 at 2:30 p.m., after having a gastric bypass completed. My surgery weight was 207 and today I weighed in at 215.98 , how is this possible? I had a number of bowel movements while in the hospital  so I'm sure it's not that. Is this normal for everyone to leave the hospital weighing more than when you came in? I feel so discouraged after going through all of this. I'd like to thank you all ahead of time for any feedback you can give me.

5 hours ago, Godsgirl5275 said:

I just got home today, June 26th 2020 at 2:30 p.m., after having a gastric bypass completed. My surgery weight was 207 and today I weighed in at 215.98 , how is this possible? I had a number of bowel movements while in the hospital  so I'm sure it's not that. Is this normal for everyone to leave the hospital weighing more than when you came in? I feel so discouraged after going through all of this. I'd like to thank you all ahead of time for any feedback you can give me.

Its just water weight and I went up 5lbs this last time.  It will flush out the first week or two.  No worries, I don't understand why they don't warn us about that.  I remember being freaked out by it the first time also.

Welcome to TT and good luck on the journey to a new you !!

I'm with Tracy.  It's just water weight.  

After surgery the body retains fluid -  the interstitial spaces (spaces between cells in the body) fill with the fluids - that's called edema. 

And surgery related stresses accounts for high level of ADH (Anti-Diuretic Hormone) - that encourages your kidneys to save water for the body.

The stress we go through can trigger a hormonal imbalance and that can lead to fluid retention too.  Combine that with all the drugs and medication they give us and decreased activity early post-op all leads to most of us coming home with a few more pounds than we started out with. 

Same thing happened to me - I went up about 7 pounds when I got home from the surgery (had my gastric bypass Jan. 29th), but by the time I went for my 2-week follow up I was 10 pounds down from my weight at time of surgery. I also went through a 3-week stall about 6 weeks out. Since then it's been slow but steady. Five month surgiversary tomorrow and I'm down 51 pounds. 

On 6/27/2020 at 12:28 AM, tracyringo said:

Its just water weight and I went up 5lbs this last time.  It will flush out the first week or two.  No worries, I don't understand why they don't warn us about that.  I remember being freaked out by it the first time also.

Welcome to TT and good luck on the journey to a new you !!

Thanks for the feedback, I was wondering if that's what it was. I'm really surprised at how much weight IV fluids can add to a person.

My advice to anyone having gastric bypass (any type) - do NOT weigh until your doctors appointment (they will weigh you) and then weigh only once a week at most. When you hit a plateau (about week 3) skip a week of weighing every time you hit a plateau. If you follow the post surgical eating plan you will lose the weight.

Edited by LeeC

2 hours ago, LeeC said:

My advice to anyone having gastric bypass (any type) - do NOT weigh until your doctors appointment (they will weigh you) and then weight only once a week at most. When you hit a plateau (about week 3) skip a week of weighing every time you hit a plateau. If you follow the post surgical eating plan you will lose the weight.

Like a lot of career dieters, I found it difficult/impossible to keep off the scales early post-op so I had my DH hide/lock them away.  They came out once a month.

That was the best thing I could have done for myself.  It allowed me to focus on following the programme and keeping up with my daily walking/exercise schedule.

On 6/28/2020 at 9:28 PM, cinwa said:

Like a lot of career dieters, I found it difficult/impossible to keep off the scales early post-op so I had my DH hide/lock them away.  They came out once a month.

That was the best thing I could have done for myself.  It allowed me to focus on following the programme and keeping up with my daily walking/exercise schedule.

What a great idea. I recently put mine right next to my bed, which I know is not a good idea.

Edited by Godsgirl5275

I left the hospital weighing 7 pounds more.  I was crushed.  It’s the liquids they pump into you..  it will come off.

On 6/27/2020 at 12:49 PM, harrahgirl said:

Same thing happened to me - I went up about 7 pounds when I got home from the surgery (had my gastric bypass Jan. 29th), but by the time I went for my 2-week follow up I was 10 pounds down from my weight at time of surgery. I also went through a 3-week stall about 6 weeks out. Since then it's been slow but steady. Five month surgiversary tomorrow and I'm down 51 pounds. 

Congratulations on your loss, that is wonderful. I did weigh myself 3 days after getting home from hospital and was down to 205 with a surgery weight of 207. Was so happy to see the scale moving in the right direction.

I know the feeling. Some people do lose faster than others so don't get discouraged if you see others losing at a faster pace. I'm one of the slower ones - I actually projected losing 4-6 pounds a month so I'm pretty happy with where I am so far.  Good luck and congrats on your loss!

Switch to going by measurements. Really, who cares what we weigh as long as we’re shrinking!