Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. I just stumbled across this site doing a Google search for syntrax nectar popsicle recipes and found some wonderful suggestions here, thank you. I seen the support and loved shared here in posts and comments and wanted to be part of this community. I am 49 yrs old, 210 lbs down from 217, 5'5", having gastric bypass on 6/24/20, which was rescheduled from 3/25/20 due to Covid pandemic. I am on my 2nd week of 1 meal and 2 protein drinks a day diet. The hunger pains have finally subsided. I am so excited to be on this journey and look forward to getting to know many of you better. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Thinner Times!

I'm sorry your WLS was rescheduled but it sounds as if you're off to a great start with your pre-op diet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!  It will be here before you know it!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, cinwa said:

Welcome to Thinner Times!

I'm sorry your WLS was rescheduled but it sounds as if you're off to a great start with your pre-op diet.

Thanks.. I was so devastated when I received the call that my surgery was cancelled but I am just 8 days away from surgery...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome. We are here to support you. I have never regretted having a gastric bypass. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you. I have a feeling I won't regret having this done either. Let me ask you did you have any problems with dehydration in the first month or so? I'm a bit worried that I won't get enough fluids in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Godsgirl5275 said:

Thank you. I have a feeling I won't regret having this done either. Let me ask you did you have any problems with dehydration in the first month or so? I'm a bit worried that I won't get enough fluids in.

I didn't but the advice we were given was to keep a bottle or whatever of fluid in front of us at all times and take a drink every few minutes.  The goal was 64 to 96 oz of non-carbonated water/liquid per day of water or sugar-free beverages with no more than 5 calories per 8-ounce serving.

But to this day, if I had to rely on plain water to keep hydrated, I'd be struggling.  I use sachets of Crystal Light (Mango Passion Green Tea) but find them a little strong so add more water than they suggest.  I also like a wedge of lemon or orange in water too.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no problems with dehydration in the first few months after my surgery, but that was because I drank liquids throughout the day.  Except in the first few days after my surgery, I have experienced little or no changes in my ability to drink large amounts of liquids, and I credit this hydration to staying healthy and keeping my appetite under control.

Note that a long term inability to drink large amounts of liquids is much more common with the gastric sleeve than with the gastric bypass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow we are similar and I just had my gastric sleeve on 6/9 which was also postponed.  My height anda weight start are almost exactly the same (guess I need to go in and complete my profile) LOL

I am going for my first nutrition class and my post op exam tomorrow and I am down about 15 lbs since my procedure last Tuesday, 8 days.  I did just struggle with constipation and had to give myself an enema after taking stool softeners the past three days to no avail.  I am going to be rooting for you and I hope you will do the same for me!  Good luck and I know you have this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

I had no problems with dehydration in the first few months after my surgery, but that was because I drank liquids throughout the day.  Except in the first few days after my surgery, I have experienced little or no changes in my ability to drink large amounts of liquids, and I credit this hydration to staying healthy and keeping my appetite under control.

Note that a long term inability to drink large amounts of liquids is much more common with the gastric sleeve than with the gastric bypass.

Thanks for the feedback Res. I am hoping I will get back to being able to drink at least 64oz of water. Currently I drink 1 gallon a day and I notice a big difference when I fall short, like dry eyes, chapped lips and so on. I bought a number of water flavoring options and really enjoy most of them so I am hoping dehydration will not be an issue. I did not know that the sleeve patients had difficulty drinking large amts of water, glad I am getting the bypass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Luvusue said:

Wow we are similar and I just had my gastric sleeve on 6/9 which was also postponed.  My height anda weight start are almost exactly the same (guess I need to go in and complete my profile) LOL

I am going for my first nutrition class and my post op exam tomorrow and I am down about 15 lbs since my procedure last Tuesday, 8 days.  I did just struggle with constipation and had to give myself an enema after taking stool softeners the past three days to no avail.  I am going to be rooting for you and I hope you will do the same for me!  Good luck and I know you have this!

Wow you are not kidding, we have very similar stats. We even have the same goal weight.

Congrats on the 15 lb loss, that is wonderful and in only 8 days. How is your pain? Do you use heat or ice to help? Are you able to get in much water?

I am so worried about constipation. I am in pain management for chronic cervical pain and suffer from constipation already, so it worries me to think about how bad it can get. 

I hope your journey is an easy one and that you reach your goals.

Thank you for being my cheerleader :) and I will be yours...

Best.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cinwa said:

I didn't but the advice we were given was to keep a bottle or whatever of fluid in front of us at all times and take a drink every few minutes.  The goal was 64 to 96 oz of non-carbonated water/liquid per day of water or sugar-free beverages with no more than 5 calories per 8-ounce serving.

But to this day, if I had to rely on plain water to keep hydrated, I'd be struggling.  I use sachets of Crystal Light (Mango Passion Green Tea) but find them a little strong so add more water than they suggest.  I also like a wedge of lemon or orange in water too.   

Thank you, I have just recently discovered the flavored water products and really enjoy them. I am hopeful that since I already drink a lot of water each day that I won't have to much of a problem after surgery. Fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right after surgery I set an alarm for every 16 minutes and drank a shot glass; 2 oz.  

even 7 years out; I can only chug 8-10 oz of liquid.  I try not to get to the point where I’m dying of thirst.  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 11:13 PM, Cheesehead said:

Right after surgery I set an alarm for every 16 minutes and drank a shot glass; 2 oz.  

even 7 years out; I can only chug 8-10 oz of liquid.  I try not to get to the point where I’m dying of thirst.  
 

I love that idea of setting the alarm for 16 min and drinking the 2 oz cup. That will keep me on track for sure...

I really love some of the ideas you all offer on here, so much more ideas than I can ever get at my doctors office.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Godsgirl5275 said:

I love that idea of setting the alarm for 16 min and drinking the 2 oz cup. That will keep me on track for sure...

I really love some of the ideas you all offer on here, so much more ideas than I can ever get at my doctors office.

 

Hang in there.  This video may inspire you - it inspired me when I was in your position:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Hang in there.  This video may inspire you - it inspired me when I was in your position:

 

What an inspiring video. Her life has completely changed for the best...Thanks for sharing this with me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...