JenKate

Slipped symptoms but now better

I recently experienced some unpleasant symptoms with my band.  I had night time heart burn and experienced vomiting with foods I could typically eat.  Now the symptoms are completely gone.  My question is, can a slipped lapband repair itself?  What happened?  

So sorry to hear.  I am not sure if we have any banders in here.  They no longer even do that surgery where I live.  Hope you get the answers you are looking for.

On 6/10/2020 at 2:43 AM, JenKate said:

I recently experienced some unpleasant symptoms with my band.  I had night time heart burn and experienced vomiting with foods I could typically eat.  Now the symptoms are completely gone.  My question is, can a slipped lapband repair itself?  What happened?  

No, a slipped band won't repair itself. It sounds more like you had something you weren't aware of lodged in the opening that may have dislodged when you vomited. My sister used to get that with lettuce or other leafy vegetables prior to her revision.  Hopefully you're still checking in with your surgeon, so tell them what happened. Bands are rarely done in Australia anymore (where I live), and are actually banned in our government funded hospitals. Any issues with them, and surgeons just do a revisional surgery to VSG or RNY if warranted. If your not having any ongoing issues though, and your band is working well for you, then it's not a priority.  Eventually though, they usually have to be removed as their lifetime is unfortunately limited to around 10 years. It sounds like yours would be getting very near the end of its lifespan, so definitely worth a followup visit to a bariatric surgeon.