Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So I ordered a 3 month supply of vitamins from procare and some calcium chews.  This stuff is expensive considering I was taking flinstones chewable with the sleeve.  Anyone know where to buy cheaper vitamins in bulk for bypass patients.

They gave me B12 as injection.  Can someone tell me how to inject this into muscle ?   Starting to wish I just did the pills !

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tracyringo said:

Can someone tell me how to inject this into muscle ?

Nah, don't inject into a muscle if you haven't been instructed properly on it!

Get a B12 that can be injected s. c. - if you have ever given heparin injections to yourself (and you most likely have since this is your second WLS) it's not a big deal to give yourself B12 shots.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a bypass and buy all my vitamins at CVS - either in one of their stores or on line.  If you buy them when they are on sale, they do not cost much and work very well for me.

Walgreens also have relatively inexpensive vitamins if you buy them during one of their sales.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

I have a bypass and buy all my vitamins at CVS - either in one of their stores or on line.  If you buy them when they are on sale, they do not cost much and work very well for me.

Walgreens also have relatively inexpensive vitamins if you buy them during one of their sales.

What kind do you use?   We just cant use any old vitamin can we?  I seen a thing about taking flinstones on here for bypass and I have been taking 2 a day until they are gone, only a few days left.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, summerset said:

Nah, don't inject into a muscle if you haven't been instructed properly on it!

Get a B12 that can be injected s. c. - if you have ever given heparin injections to yourself (and you most likely have since this is your second WLS) it's not a big deal to give yourself B12 shots.

They gave a small little bottle to pull medicine from and the damn needle has a spring on it it looks like.  I have not opened package.  I think I will call them Monday morning and have them inject me or send in a scrip for the pill.  This is unreal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

What kind do you use?   We just cant use any old vitamin can we?  I seen a thing about taking flinstones on here for bypass and I have been taking 2 a day until they are gone, only a few days left.

 

I take the following vitamins each day:

With breakfast: (a) one Centrum Silver (or CVS Spectravite brand) chewable multivitamin (which have no iron), (b) two calcium citrate + D3 pills (for a total dose of 630 mg of calcium citrate and 500 IU of D3), (c) one D3 capsule (2,000 IU of D3), and (d) one quick dissolving B-12 pill (500 mcg) taken under the tongue,

With lunch OR dinner:  (a) one Centrum Silver (or CVS Spectravite brand), and (b) two calcium citrate + D3 pills (for a total dose of 630 mg of calcium citrate and 500 IU of D3).

Note that I am naturally very high in iron, and thus have been told not to take iron supplements.  Many people do have to take iron supplements after weight loss surgery, and take these supplements at different times than when they are taking their calcium. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Early out from surgery, we were required to take a chewable form of multivitamins.  I used Celbrate's Multivitamin Soft Chews.  And started out on their chewable calcium citrate  too but switched to UPCAL D Powder.  Also available in sachets too for when you on-the-go.  

As soon as I was cleared, I went to tablet form and have been using Equate Complete Multivitamin Tablets, (Adults 50+) from Walmart - but they also have great multivitamins for under 50's, too.  They're about as comprehensive as you can get.  I also take 500mg of calcium citrate (with vitamin D3 to aid absorption) 3 times a day.

I also had to supplement with iron but only until I went through the menopause.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cinwa said:

Early out from surgery, we were required to take a chewable form of multivitamins.  I used Celbrate's Multivitamin Soft Chews.  And started out on their chewable calcium citrate  too but switched to UPCAL D Powder.  Also available in sachets too for when you on-the-go.  

As soon as I was cleared, I went to tablet form and have been using Equate Complete Multivitamin Tablets, (Adults 50+) from Walmart - but they also have great multivitamins for under 50's, too.  They're about as comprehensive as you can get.  I also take 500mg of calcium citrate (with vitamin D3 to aid absorption) 3 times a day.

I also had to supplement with iron but only until I went through the menopause.

So is this what you have taken since beginning and how is your blood work ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I take. Last time the dietician advised me to take additional Vitamin K2 and to up the calcium to 3/d. So for what it's worth since I'm living in Germany:

LaVita syrup mixed with water double the recommended dose 1/d

Vitamin K 200 1/d

Calcium 500 mg 3/d (I use Celebrate, these and these to mix things up)

Vitamin K 20.000 IU 2/week or 50.000 IU 1/w (I used to take Dekristol, but there are less costly alternatives)

no iron at the moment

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tracyringo said:

So is this what you have taken since beginning and how is your blood work ?

Yep!  And other than when I've had to go into hospital for surgery (hernia repairs, varicose veins etc.), I haven't missed a day and my bloodwork is spot on.  

Forgot to add that I take a B12 sublingual 2-3 times a week and I also took iron supplements until I went through the menopause.

Here are a couple of older threads worth reading (pinned at the top of the Post-op Gastric Bypass forum):  

Taking meds post-op. Some things you need to know!   What kind of problems can develop from not taking vitamins daily?   
Are you sure you're getting all the calcium you think you are?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, summerset said:

 

 

 

 

 

no iron at the moment

I bought the ones with 45 iron because the surgeon told me to get iron and the calcium at my appointment.  Is this going to effect my stools even worse ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

I bought the ones with 45 iron because the surgeon told me to get iron and the calcium at my appointment. 

I took Celebrate's iron supplements for a while (60 mg/d) because my Hb was always a low normal but haven't taken it for a while. Labs were ok so the dietician advised not to start them again unless labs show a need for it. Iron shouldn't be supplemented into the blue.

Not everyone needs iron supplements, some need lower, some need higher doses, others need infusions from time to time because they don't absorb oral iron.

Mind you, I don't have a monthly bleeding because of Mirena so that might contribute to not needing iron supplements atm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, summerset said:

Iron can add to constipation and the color black.

Damn, maybe he didn't know I went through menopause .  I cant waste 3 months of vitamins.  If I have any issues I will quit taking them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Several important points on vitamins:

1.  Be sure that your calcium pills have calcium citrate and not calcium carbonate.  it is fine (and helpful for absorption) if there is also some vitamin D in with the calcium citrate.

2.  If you take iron pills (or take a multivitamin pill with iron in it), do not take calcium and iron within 2-3 hours of each other as your body cannot easily absorb both iron and calcium at the same time.

3.  Right after surgery your may need to take chewable calcium citrate - which is sold by the bariatric vitamin companies and is not cheap.  Do not use chewable calcium carbonate as your body will not absorb the calcium well when it is in carbonate form.

4.  The calcium citrate pills are large.  If you have trouble swallowing them, then look for the "petite" calcium citrate pills (but you will have to take more of them).

5.  Most iron pills provide iron in a form that does not absorb well for a person with a gastric bypass.  So if you are told to take iron pills, I suggest that you buy the iron pills from a bariatric vitamin company such a Bariatric Advantage.

6.  A very occasional skipping of a vitamin dosage is fine, but not taking vitamins after bypass surgery will inevitably result in vitamin deficiencies and serious health (and dental) consequences.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Several important points on vitamins:

1.  Be sure that your calcium pills have calcium citrate and not calcium carbonate.  it is fine (and helpful for absorption) if there is also some vitamin D in with the calcium citrate.

2.  If you take iron pills (or take a multivitamin pill with iron in it), do not take calcium and iron within 2-3 hours of each other as your body cannot easily absorb both iron and calcium at the same time.

3.  Right after surgery your may need to take chewable calcium citrate - which is sold by the bariatric vitamin companies and is not cheap.  Do not use chewable calcium carbonate as your body will not absorb the calcium well when it is in carbonate form.

4.  The calcium citrate pills are large.  If you have trouble swallowing them, then look for the "petite" calcium citrate pills (but you will have to take more of them).

5.  Most iron pills provide iron in a form that does not absorb well for a person with a gastric bypass.  So if you are told to take iron pills, I suggest that you buy the iron pills from a bariatric vitamin company such a Bariatric Advantage.

6.  A very occasional skipping of a vitamin dosage is fine, but not taking vitamins after bypass surgery will inevitably result in vitamin deficiencies and serious health (and dental) consequences.  

Thanks for all the info.  I will be diligent with vitamins because I like my hair , teeth, and health.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a good read too:  Treat Iron With Respect

Importantly, " ......iron supplements should be taken seperately from calcium supplements but it should also be noted to keep it away from calcium rich foods and drinks....."

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cinwa said:

This is a good read too:  Treat Iron With Respect

Importantly, " ......iron supplements should be taken seperately from calcium supplements but it should also be noted to keep it away from calcium rich foods and drinks....."

After just reading the first paragraph I already know I will take my vitamins at bedtime so I do not have to worry with what I eat.(until these with iron are gone)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 2:17 PM, tracyringo said:

After just reading the first paragraph I already know I will take my vitamins at bedtime so I do not have to worry with what I eat.(until these with iron are gone)

Note that if I don’t take my calcium a couple of hours before bed I get really bad indigestion. I need to be upright for awhile.

so if that happens to you, move your schedule up a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

If you eat well and exercise, you probably don't need vitamins.

If you really want to take something anyway, look around for something of good quality. There have been discussions on here about what form of each vitamin and mineral is best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 4:44 PM, tracyringo said:

So is this what you have taken since beginning and how is your blood work ?

Tracy,

I've been on the same protocol - I'll be 13 years out this coming September and my bloodwork results continues to be excellent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ronadoo said:

If you eat well and exercise, you probably don't need vitamins.

With the greatest respect, I know of no legitimate bariatric surgeon who agrees with this..

If you get a gastric bypass, you need to take vitamin supplements for the rest of your life.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...