Jump to content

Where did everybody go ?


Recommended Posts

Well dang, it seems this support page is not as busy as it was 3 years ago.  I have still been coming in just not posting as much in the past year.  I see @Jen581791 hasn't been on in many months and neither has @NerdyToothpick, but with this covid I suppose people are busy with other things.

If anyone in here reading this has had a revision to bypass or the bypass recently, I have also just had bypass on May 22nd .   I need a brain to pick and someone to buddy with.  I am not seeing anyone new out there but maybe I am not looking in the right place.  

I am looking to lose 20 lbs  and would be more then willing to see you through your whole journey .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi tracy!  I am still here lurking and lingering as time permits :)  It sounds like your surgery went well.  I truly hopes this helps with the GERD.  What sort of challenges are you having?  I know I read your pain was worse with bypass :(  I hope day by day you are feeling better. 

We lost my Father-in-law on May 14th to congestive heart failure.  While I am happy he is no longer in pain, my hubby is going through a lot losing his dad. :( 

Hang in there hun and know some of us are still lurking ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TammyP said:

Hi tracy!  I am still here lurking and lingering as time permits :)  It sounds like your surgery went well.  I truly hopes this helps with the GERD.  What sort of challenges are you having?  I know I read your pain was worse with bypass :(  I hope day by day you are feeling better. 

We lost my Father-in-law on May 14th to congestive heart failure.  While I am happy he is no longer in pain, my hubby is going through a lot losing his dad. :( 

Hang in there hun and know some of us are still lurking ;)

Hi Tammy !  So glad to see a familiar face !   I think the GERD is gone because I haven't felt any burning but that may be that it is all numb but wont really know until I get off the PPI in 3 months.  The challenge is I didn't realize I was going to be giving up all my restriction and I am fearful.  I have worked it out in my head that I will have to be diligent with portion control by weighing and measuring.

I am so sorry to hear about your father in law.  Prayers to you and your husband and family during this time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

Hi Tammy !  So glad to see a familiar face !   I think the GERD is gone because I haven't felt any burning but that may be that it is all numb but wont really know until I get off the PPI in 3 months.  The challenge is I didn't realize I was going to be giving up all my restriction and I am fearful.  I have worked it out in my head that I will have to be diligent with portion control by weighing and measuring.

I am so sorry to hear about your father in law.  Prayers to you and your husband and family during this time.

 

Thanks for the prayers we appreciate it very much. 

It has got to be VERY weird not to have the restriction!  I have recently started logging/weighing everything I eat into MyFitnessPal.  I needed to combat the Covid binging!  It really has worked for me to get back to my goal weight.  I am super confident you can do this!  You know all the rules and have the knowledge and I know you will succeed! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TammyP said:

Thanks for the prayers we appreciate it very much. 

It has got to be VERY weird not to have the restriction!  I have recently started logging/weighing everything I eat into MyFitnessPal.  I needed to combat the Covid binging!  It really has worked for me to get back to my goal weight.  I am super confident you can do this!  You know all the rules and have the knowledge and I know you will succeed! :)

I had my own covid party as well, lol.  I put on 10lb and had gotten 6lb off putting me at original goal on surgery day.  I was worried about losing too much weight after having the bypass and now I am not so sure that was the best choice but I know it will be fine.  Thank you for the encouragement it is much appreciated.:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrightDay1 said:

@tracyringoHello Tracy! I am glad that surgery went well and that you are recovering as expected. Do you mind explaining why you will give up restriction? I thought the bypass also entailed having a pouch that would limit how much you can eat. I send you a hug and hope all keeps going very well.

This is not the same as the sleeve post surgery and that is what I was expecting.  The first day I had the sleeve I could drink which I thought was odd . The 2nd day or maybe later that night I could barely sip and when they gave me a pill I had to take, I about gagged but was able to get it down. From that point on I was tight as a drum for a very long time. If you have the sleeve you understand what I am saying.  
  When I took my first sip Friday after the bypass it was the same as it had been with  sleeve so I wasn't concerned. The 2nd day same as first so I asked if I was allowed to just drink normal and was told a mouthful at a time.  I have no problem getting my liquids in or anything else for that matter so far. I eat a 5 oz yogurt with no problem for breakfast.  I am on a full liquid diet and was on that in hospital 2nd day.  They wanted me to take in 8 oz of full liquids each meal.  2oz of each item on my tray.  Try wrapping your head around that !!  I never came close nor wanted to I had no appetite and was on drugs, lol !   When I got home I finally came down after a few days, had to get that *&^% out of my system so I could think. ( I have taken very few pain pills since being home Sunday, which has helped my head in trying to understand what is happening. I was not rational on all those drugs :eek: }

My Dr. appointment is today so I do have questions for sure.  

I also had a hernia repair.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@BrightDay1  He told me my pouch is the size of a shot glass and the reason I don't feel restriction is because I am on full liquids.  Once I get to solids I will feel it.  Its definitely not like the sleeve but I am sure all will be well .

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 9:14 AM, tracyringo said:

Hi Tammy !  So glad to see a familiar face !   I think the GERD is gone because I haven't felt any burning but that may be that it is all numb but wont really know until I get off the PPI in 3 months.  The challenge is I didn't realize I was going to be giving up all my restriction and I am fearful.  I have worked it out in my head that I will have to be diligent with portion control by weighing and measuring.

I am so sorry to hear about your father in law.  Prayers to you and your husband and family during this time.

 

Hi Tracy!!

I’ve been doing a really crappy job with coming here, and I’m so sorry about that. I’ve been struggling with my diet a lot, and I know I need to be here more. But I’m starting to get control again, and to keep from eating, I have been outside almost every day doing some pretty heavy duty yard work and completely tiring myself out. You would think my appetite would be raging, but just the opposite. I’ve been losing again, and very happy about that :D

I’m glad to hear that your surgery went well, and that your GERD is improving! As far as restriction, I didn’t really feel much on liquids. But when I was able to start soft foods like yogurt and cottage cheese, etc, I felt a LOT of restriction. I couldn’t even finish a tablespoon of yogurt until I was on soft foods for a few days, if I remember correctly. I was thinking...do you think your lack of restriction might be due to the fact that you already has WLS, and are used to it? I know bypass leaves a much smaller pouch than sleeve, but I wonder if that could be a reason for it. I’m certainly not a doctor, and I might be crazy, lol. Just food for thought ❤️ 

I hope you are doing ok, and hopefully I can get here more often. Hang in there, my friend ❤️❤️❤️

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Hi Tracy!!

I’ve been doing a really crappy job with coming here, and I’m so sorry about that. I’ve been struggling with my diet a lot, and I know I need to be here more. But I’m starting to get control again, and to keep from eating, I have been outside almost every day doing some pretty heavy duty yard work and completely tiring myself out. You would think my appetite would be raging, but just the opposite. I’ve been losing again, and very happy about that :D

I’m glad to hear that your surgery went well, and that your GERD is improving! As far as restriction, I didn’t really feel much on liquids. But when I was able to start soft foods like yogurt and cottage cheese, etc, I felt a LOT of restriction. I couldn’t even finish a tablespoon of yogurt until I was on soft foods for a few days, if I remember correctly. I was thinking...do you think your lack of restriction might be due to the fact that you already has WLS, and are used to it? I know bypass leaves a much smaller pouch than sleeve, but I wonder if that could be a reason for it. I’m certainly not a doctor, and I might be crazy, lol. Just food for thought ❤️ 

I hope you are doing ok, and hopefully I can get here more often. Hang in there, my friend ❤️❤️❤️

So glad that you are still coming in here !!!  What part are you struggling with ?  Is it what you eat or the amount?  Do you still have restriction ?

I can eat a whole yogurt no problem.  I am eating slow and taking my time though too.  I have not been sick and still have my energy level a week after surgery.

I am having pain on the right side and sometimes it feels like it goes to my back.  I don't have a gallbladder and this just started yesterday.  I did say something about it and he pushed around but didn't seem too concerned.  I will give it a few more days.

Hope all is going well for you.  How is your husband doing since his surgery ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tracyringo said:

So glad that you are still coming in here !!!  What part are you struggling with ?  Is it what you eat or the amount?  Do you still have restriction ?

I can eat a whole yogurt no problem.  I am eating slow and taking my time though too.  I have not been sick and still have my energy level a week after surgery.

I am having pain on the right side and sometimes it feels like it goes to my back.  I don't have a gallbladder and this just started yesterday.  I did say something about it and he pushed around but didn't seem too concerned.  I will give it a few more days.

Hope all is going well for you.  How is your husband doing since his surgery ?

First off, hubby is doing phenomenal with his weight loss. He just hit 103 pounds down this morning :D He started at 272 and is down to 169. He started his pre op diet in March of last year, and had his surgery on Sept. 25th. He is below his goal and very happy with it. Not to mention he looks fantastic, lol :wub:

My struggles are mostly with what I’ve been eating, and how often. I still weigh my food at every meal, but I may eat 5 or 6 times a day. Some of those meals or snacks are not good for me and usually have little or no nutritional value, hence the weight gain. Eating that often, prior to my weight gain, was totally fine because my meals consisted of a lot of protein, and I was drinking more than enough water or crystal light throughout the day. I started going off balance over the holidays, and gained a little. But it got really bad just before Covid hit. Then I lost my grandmother to Covid. Binge eating and drinking too many adult beverages obviously packed the weight on, and I’ve gained about 20 pounds above my maintenance weight. I finally got back on track this past Monday, and I’ve already lost 3 pounds. 

As far as the restriction goes, it was pretty hard core in the beginning. Now, I may feel restriction in the morning, or if I have waited too long between meals, but otherwise if I eat slow, I don’t really feel much. That’s why, in the end, it’s still up to us to control what, and how much, we put in our mouths. 

I had pain like what you are describing for a long time BEFORE I had my surgery. I had pretty serious fatty liver, and I always considered it to be liver pain. But since you are soo early out post op, I would definitely check with your surgeon...especially if the pain is new post op. 

I still think being an experienced WLS patient might have something to do with all of this. But like I said before, I’m not a doctor...just a hunch :D

Hang in there hun...follow the rules and do what you are supposed to do, and you will be ok ❤️ 

Hugs!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is outstanding news about your DH Trish - give him a kiss from me.  Can't have been easy for either of you .... he makes THE best cookies I've ever eaten (but best we don't discuss that  further LOL!).

Cut yourself some slack.  You've been through a difficult time and beating yourself up isn't going to help.  Focus on each day as it comes - there are bound to be some hiccups but start each day afresh.  Plan ahead with your meals/snacks and drink as much water as you can.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nana Trish Congrats to your husband .

You say you weigh meals.  what does a typical meal look like for you and what is the weight/ measurement of it ? 

I did the same thing over the holidays and had gotten back to 171 with 3 more lbs to go to be where I like and then covid hit and up I went to 186 !  The first of May I started back to clean eating ect and then got the call for the revision, so I did get down 6 lbs in 3 1/2 weeks.  I know you will get to where you want to be also. Hugz

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cinwa said:

That is outstanding news about your DH Trish - give him a kiss from me.  Can't have been easy for either of you .... he makes THE best cookies I've ever eaten (but best we don't discuss that  further LOL!).

Cut yourself some slack.  You've been through a difficult time and beating yourself up isn't going to help.  Focus on each day as it comes - there are bound to be some hiccups but start each day afresh.  Plan ahead with your meals/snacks and drink as much water as you can.

I gave hubby that kiss, Cinwa ❤️ He said thank you!! It wasn’t easy for me especially because he was eating very little around the holidays, and I was taste testing everything! :o:wacko: Almost like I never had the surgery, ugh. Yes, his cookies are the best! (If I do say so myself, lol) Ihope once he is up and running again, I can stay away from them!!

I know beating myself up isn’t going to help anything, but if I cut myself some slack every time I go through something difficult, I’ll end up where I started, lol. And I DO NOT want that! I know this whole Covid situation and losing my grandmother are extenuating circumstances, absolutely. My therapists tell me the same thing...that I’m too hard on myself. I’ve always been that way, but it’s different with this somehow. I went through so much and worked so hard to get here, and now I feel like I was falling back into my old bad habits. But I think I’m getting a handle on things now...fingers and toes crossed!! 

❤️❤️❤️

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

@Nana Trish Congrats to your husband .

You say you weigh meals.  what does a typical meal look like for you and what is the weight/ measurement of it ? 

I did the same thing over the holidays and had gotten back to 171 with 3 more lbs to go to be where I like and then covid hit and up I went to 186 !  The first of May I started back to clean eating ect and then got the call for the revision, so I did get down 6 lbs in 3 1/2 weeks.  I know you will get to where you want to be also. Hugz

Hubby says thank you, Tracy :D

Yes, I weigh everything except breakfast, because it’s the same thing every day. Breakfast I eat 2 eggs, one slice of cheese and 1/4piece of lavash bread (it’s like a very thin, low carb wrap). Lunch is 4 ounces of lunch meat (usually turkey), 1 slice of cheese, and 1/4 piece of lavash with spicy brown mustard. Dinner is 4 ounces of chicken, fish, steak or pork loin. If I am still hungry I will eat 1/4-1/2 cup of veggies (I love the steam fresh steakhouse flavored green beans). For snacks (I usually eat 2 or 3, depending on how early I get up) I will eat 1 cup of sliced cucumber, or some celery or avocado, yogurt or cottage cheese. Sometimes almonds. And I drink only water or crystal light. ^^^This is how I eat when I’m FOLLOWING my diet. I won’t even begin to tell you the crap I’ve been eating over the past few months...UGH!! I know I will get back to where I want to be, which is 145. It’s going to take some time, but I think I’ve got it in me to do it. At least I hope so ❤️

Hugs right back!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nana Trish you only have 8 lbs to go if your number is correct on the stats. So you should be there in 4 to 6 weeks I am guessing.

When they called and scheduled my revision I had 8 days.  I went straight to the cupcake shop and got 4 wonderful cupcakes. I ate one a day with my clean eating the rest of the time.  I wasn't sure if I was going to be a dumper, so I had my last hoorah !   I cut out coffee because I dumped with the sleeve on it .  Guess once I reach my new goal if that is possible I will try it out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

@Nana Trish you only have 8 lbs to go if your number is correct on the stats. So you should be there in 4 to 6 weeks I am guessing.

When they called and scheduled my revision I had 8 days.  I went straight to the cupcake shop and got 4 wonderful cupcakes. I ate one a day with my clean eating the rest of the time.  I wasn't sure if I was going to be a dumper, so I had my last hoorah !   I cut out coffee because I dumped with the sleeve on it .  Guess once I reach my new goal if that is possible I will try it out.

My stats are not correct under my profile unfortunately...I got up as high as 169, but when I got back on plan Monday I was 166. This morning I was 163. So I have about 18 pounds to go, unfortunately. But it took me months to put it on, so it ain’t coming off overnight, as they say lol. I’m not in a hurry, I’m just glad to be back on track and losing again :)

 I had one pretty decent sized food funeral before I was supposed to have my bypass the first time. I lost 48 pounds in 3 months. Other than that, I was straight as they come. When my bypass got cancelled because I got diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2016, I just said “eff it” and went on an eating spree that you wouldn’t believe. I gained back the whole 48 pounds, plus a few extra. Fast forward to 2017, I had 2 months and I lost 34 pounds...only eating an ice cream sundae on Mother’s Day that was off plan. I think most of us have some sort of last hoorah, lol. Soft ice cream was one of the things that made me dump to the extreme after my bypass. A lot of other things did too, but now it’s only a few.

It is possible to reach your goal ❤️ and I believe in you!! Just give your body time to realize that it has been through another WLS, and I’m sure things will fall into place 

:D

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nana Trish  Well I too want to lose 18 lbs and maybe 5 extra for some bounce back depending on how this works.  I figure it will take me 2-3 months, probably 3 because I am a slow loser! Some things never change.:D

  So I am here for you lady if you need an ear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

@Nana Trish  Well I too want to lose 18 lbs and maybe 5 extra for some bounce back depending on how this works.  I figure it will take me 2-3 months, probably 3 because I am a slow loser! Some things never change.:D

  So I am here for you lady if you need an ear.

Thank you, Tracy!! I’m here for you too!!

You never know, you may lose faster than you did after the sleeve...I lost 23 pounds in the first month after my bypass, and I averaged 14-15 pounds a month after that until the last couple of months. You have to give yourself time...the first week usually consists of ridding your body of all of the fluids they pump into you during surgery. After that, you should start seeing more of a loss ❤️ I know it will take me a few months to get rid of all my weight, but I’m ok with that, because I’m only 9 pounds over the normal BMI mark.

Edited by Nana Trish
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nana Trish I am still pretty well swollen and think it will be a few more weeks for it to go away.  I only lost 14 lbs  the first month with my first surgery and I am hoping to get 7 a month now because that is what I was losing at the end 5 to 7 pounds.  I would probably freak if I lost a bunch in 1 month, so we shall see what happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tracyringo said:

@Nana Trish I am still pretty well swollen and think it will be a few more weeks for it to go away.  I only lost 14 lbs  the first month with my first surgery and I am hoping to get 7 a month now because that is what I was losing at the end 5 to 7 pounds.  I would probably freak if I lost a bunch in 1 month, so we shall see what happens.

People generally lose faster with the bypass over the sleeve. I don’t think a lot of people lose 23 pounds in the first month. I know Jen and Nerdy lost quite a bit as well in the beginning. If you start losing too fast, it’s easy to slow it down. Add more calories, like protein shakes, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc. Play around with it a bit. The swelling could be part of your issues with not feeling restriction. Maybe you are mistaking restriction with the swelling from surgery. I think it feels a bit different for everyone. I’m not looking at your profile at the moment, and I can’t remember what your original starting weight was. But the less you weigh when you have surgery, usually you will lose a bit slower as well. I’d be happy with 7 or 8 pounds a month right now as well. I can’t fit into any of my summer clothes from last year except a couple of T-shirts and of course my beloved leggings :unsure: But I’ll get back there and so will you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a lot going on late 2018 and 2019.  I've been trying to come on once a week this year but it ends up being about every 2 weeks. I think part of the reason the forum is so quiet is there are no surgeries going on so very few questions.  Other than that, some connect via FB or watch YouTube. Where I live the infection rate is still high, so stuck on Phase 1 (essential businesses only). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 1:28 AM, LeeC said:

I had a lot going on late 2018 and 2019.  I've been trying to come on once a week this year but it ends up being about every 2 weeks. I think part of the reason the forum is so quiet is there are no surgeries going on so very few questions.  Other than that, some connect via FB or watch YouTube. Where I live the infection rate is still high, so stuck on Phase 1 (essential businesses only). 

Hope things get better soon where you live.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 9:54 PM, tracyringo said:

Well dang, it seems this support page is not as busy as it was 3 years ago.  I have still been coming in just not posting as much in the past year.  I see @Jen581791 hasn't been on in many months and neither has @NerdyToothpick, but with this covid I suppose people are busy with other things.

If anyone in here reading this has had a revision to bypass or the bypass recently, I have also just had bypass on May 22nd .   I need a brain to pick and someone to buddy with.  I am not seeing anyone new out there but maybe I am not looking in the right place.  

I am looking to lose 20 lbs  and would be more then willing to see you through your whole journey .

I'm here today. I had my revision to RNY over three years ago now. Any questions you have I'm happy to answer as best I can. My surgeon watched me like a hawk after my revision to make sure I didn't lose too much. The self isolation with Covid 19 has been particularly hard for me. I had an endoscopy in Jan/Feb and was diagnosed with an anastomotic ulcer (an RNY scarring ulcer). Unfortunately the medications I have no option but to take, exacerbate my reactive hypoglycemia,  so life has been really tough. I can't stop taking these meds, although the surgeon's have significantly lowered the dosages, until I can have another endoscopy to confirm healing. My sister had one last year after her RNY that perforated leading to emergency surgery, so I'm loathe to not do what I'm told despite how unwell the acid reducers make me. Endoscopies were banned here in Australia due to covid unless a life threatening emergency, so that meant staying on the meds until at least October. Some restrictions have now been lifted, so I made an appointment to see my surgeon in two weeks, and desperately hoping he can schedule one while he's here. Maybe once I get that out of the way, I'll start to feel normal, and communicative again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Aussie Bear Its been awhile.  So glad to see you are alive and kicking !!

Sorry to hear of all your issues and being alone on top of it.:(   I hope they will be able to get you in very soon and get you all better.

Did you have restriction after your revision.  I still have not felt it yet.  I did have 2 oz of chicken about 4 days ago and nothing.  I am not trying to push because I don't want to overeat and hurt myself and I cant feel anything to know.  CRAZINESS !:confused:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...