Revision to bypass from VSG

My Gerd has caused erosive esophagitis grade D now and I have been scheduled for my revision on April Fools Day .  I will be taking my computer with me and giving updates while I am there since I wont be able to have visitors.  I am not happy about it and am scared considering everything that is going on at this time.

Our best thoughts and prayers are with you.  Please continue to keep us updated on your progress.

On 3/29/2020 at 10:32 AM, Res Ipsa said:

Our best thoughts and prayers are with you.  Please continue to keep us updated on your progress.

Thank you, I suspect it will be awhile before they reschedule it.

• 1 month later...

I will be taking my computer with me this time.  I figure they will have to keep me a few days for this surgery.

@BrightDay1 thanks for positive thoughts and vibes !

On 5/14/2020 at 7:13 PM, tracyringo said:

Having my revision on May 22nd.  One week from tomorrow.

I just had a Bravo Ph test done and my surgeon has already called for a follow up appt. I have had severe GERD for years. Hoping he will do a revision to solve the problem.

Good luck today @tracyringo - we are all pulling for you to finally put your medical problems behind you..

Hi guys, I am home !!   Surgery hurt like a B***h I wasn't prepared for it.  The sleeve hurt but not like that.  I am feeling better now and not as much pain, just really sore . I have been put on a full liquid diet for the next 2 weeks.r

They are keeping me on my PPI for 3 months.  I have not had any burning since waking up from surgery which is great and I hope it stays that way.

49 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

Hi guys, I am home !!   Surgery hurt like a B***h I wasn't prepared for it.  The sleeve hurt but not like that.  I am feeling better now and not as much pain, just really sore . I have been put on a full liquid diet for the next 2 weeks.r

They are keeping me on my PPI for 3 months.  I have not had any burning since waking up from surgery which is great and I hope it stays that way.

Welcome home!  Please continue to keep us updated on your progress.  

That's great news Tracy!

Sorry you got off to a rough start but glad to hear that you're on the mend.

The gas pain is nothing I could have imagined and it didn't start until I was home for several hours in the bottom portion of the intestines.  I had to look back at posts to see what people had done for it.  So I got the gas x and took a nap.  It all seemed to work out okay.

When does the constipation I have heard so much about start ?  so far I have just had loose stools.

Was able to drink some premier protein without any difficulties, although it was only 2 oz maybe. I also ate Chobani yogurt.  I did this in 2 sittings.  They gave me creamed potato soup and tomato soup in hospital which I took several bites of without issue also.  Drinking beef broth now.

is it 30 min before eating and 30 min after eating for liquids with the bypass ?

Edited by tracyringo

Sounds like you're off to a great start Tracy.

I don't know that there is any set time when constipation rears it's head but stool softeners were on my list of must-haves just in case and yes - I did need them.

I was told that it was OK to drink right up to eating as long as it wasn't large amounts but no fluids for 1/2 hour afterwards and that's a rule I've stuck with to this day.

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

Sounds like you're off to a great start Tracy.

I don't know that there is any set time when constipation rears it's head but stool softeners were on my list of must-haves just in case and yes - I did need them.

I was told that it was OK to drink right up to eating as long as it wasn't large amounts but no fluids for 1/2 hour afterwards and that's a rule I've stuck with to this day.

Thank you cinwa !   Anything you can tell me about living with the bypass will help.  Do's and don't's ect.  When I decided to do the sleeve I stopped researching bypass.

Most of the rules for living with the bypass are the same as living with a sleeve: e.g., protein first, don't drink liquids when you eat, stop eating as soon as you feel full, track your food consumption, lead an active lifestyle, minimize carbs (although I need a little piece of chocolate every day :rolleyes:), and avoid taking NSAIDS.  

However, with a bypass (once the post-surgery swelling goes down) you should be able to drink a lot more liquids.  To that end, I drink no (or very low) calories drinks (without carbonation) all day long (except not with meals) as this keeps me hydrated, feeling full, and without constipation.  I should note that I drank a lot of liquids before my bypass surgery, so it feels normal to me to be constantly drinking liquids.

Also, with a bypass you are at risk for dumping, which is unpleasant but not medically dangerous.  Some people with a bypass dump when they eat high sugar foods, some people dump when they consume certain artificial sweeteners, some people dump after eating deep fried foods or alcohol, and some people never dump.  You will not dump if you eat a healthy diet.  I dump about once every 9 months or so, and only after I eat a fairly large serving of a food with a lot of both sugar and fat - like a piece of chocolate cake with ice cream or pancakes with syrup.  I do not dump after eating a single cookie or chocolate bar.  But everyone with a bypass is different on when/if they dump.  When you dump you probably will feel a light headed, a bit nauseous, and want to immediately lie down for 15 minutes or so.

With a bypass you should never drink and drive, as the alcohol will hit you much faster and harder than in a normal person.  Also note that the risk of alcoholism goes up after having a bypass.

Finally, you must take vitamins and mineral supplement every day with a bypass to avoid serious medical problems caused by malabsorption.  

This Tufts Medical Center guide for eating after a gastric bypass should be helpful to you:

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/~/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient Care Services/Departments and Services/Weight and Wellness Center/GBP Diet Manual12611.ashx

Thanks so much @Res Ipsa I am not feeling any restriction at all and I am scared.   Will I still have malabsorption being a revision since I don't have restriction?   I can drink the same as I did last week no problem and I asked the surgeon about that and he told me I can drink mouthfuls at a time just not gulp for now. ( which I am sure I can do but wont try)  I gonna baby this thing and hope it serves me well.

I don't plan on drinking but if I do have a drink it will be at home.  I am not a drinker anyways and had problems with the sleeve a few times and learned my lesson.

I have not been sick at all as far as vomiting ect but I didn't do that with sleeve either so I hope I will be okay.

I ate a 15 gm protein yogurt for breakfast and had no issues.  I am drinking premier like with the sleeve and no issues.  I have also had split pea soup no problem but only had 2 oz because I am unsure of how much I should be eating.  I going to see the TEAM on Thursday so hoping to get lots of good info.

Thank you for all your advice I need it.  I feel so lost and I miss my sleeve:confused:

Had my checkup and I am doing okay and have been put on soft foods !!!!  Ricotta bake is in the oven and I can hardly wait !

So I am hoping to be totally pain free next week.  I am still swollen and hope that will be gone as well.  So I guess with that being said I am just as bad on the inside too. 

So far a haven't been sick and don't think I will be either.  I read some good stuff about people having this surgery and not feeling anything until they eat solids.  I feel better knowing that but am in no hurry, I want to heal really well first. 

I am kind of freaking out on how this is suppose to work with food .   I was told my pouch is the size of a shot glass, wondering how big that stoma is and how would I be able to eat more then a shot glass of food without hurting myself ?  

One year out what are bypass people eating and portion sizes ?  2 years 3 years ?   So my head is telling me I am about to have an eating disorder.  I going to have to see the Dr before the 23rd I think. 

I wasn't scared with the sleeve because it was natural and I used measuring as a guide but rarely ate all of it because of restriction.   Now I don't know what measurements and only know I have a shot glass to work with and no valve and no feeling of any restriction.  its making me nervous and causing me anxiety.

54 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

I am kind of freaking out on how this is suppose to work with food .   I was told my pouch is the size of a shot glass, wondering how big that stoma is and how would I be able to eat more then a shot glass of food without hurting myself ?  

One year out what are bypass people eating and portion sizes ?  2 years 3 years ?   So my head is telling me I am about to have an eating disorder.  I going to have to see the Dr before the 23rd I think. 

I wasn't scared with the sleeve because it was natural and I used measuring as a guide but rarely ate all of it because of restriction.   Now I don't know what measurements and only know I have a shot glass to work with and no valve and no feeling of any restriction.  its making me nervous and causing me anxiety.

Relax.  it is going to be fine.  

Unless you drink liquids when you eat a meal (which is a really bad idea), with a gastric bypass you will feel a very real restriction on how much you can eat at one time.  You will feel full after eating some food, and then will need to stop eating.  if you ignore that full feeling to have "one more bite" then you are at high risk of feeling nausea and having to throw up.  

What is important is to use the weeks and months right after surgery, when you won't feel like eating much, to remove unhealthy foods from your diet (and your house).  Long term success with any weight loss surgery method is based more on having a healthy diet rather than on the surgical modifications.

Also remember that with the bypass you body will absorb fewer of the calories that you eat.  Here is my posting on this:

We are here to support you.