Jen581791

Happy Three Year Surgiversary to Me!

Three years ago today, I was lying in a hospital bed in Mexico wondering what the heck I had done to myself. I was pretty freaked out. I was also not at all hungry, which was a new thing.

It was a wild and crazy ride for the first year, during which I lost 150+ pounds (!) and got to my eventually recalculated GW of 135, which seemed impossible and insane at the time, but normal to me now. I measured and counted every single bite of everything that went into my mouth that year, and was genuinely as close to perfect as I could be, as suits my sort of all-or-nothing personality. I started going to the gym and walking a lot. I gave my wardrobe a complete overhaul from the ground up. I started doing active things like hiking and running and swimming as entertainment. I moved to a new country and met all new people at my new job (so no one here really knows the before-me).

Year two was all about figuring out how to make this whole change sustainable - eating in a less regimented way, exercising a whole lot, not spending every waking second thinking about WLS. Staying in the weight zone I was comfortable in. Amassing further wardrobe items -_- Figuring how to eat while traveling. Getting used to being in a bathing suit in public. Getting used to how I looked in reflections and photos. Getting better at hiding that I eat a bit weirdly. Getting better at eating in restaurants. Starting running a bit more seriously (this becomes fairly important further on). 

Year three has mostly been about running. How to eat enough to fuel running long distances and during frequent trainings. How to deal with eating a lot more carbs for running. Getting used to looking in the mirror and seeing a fairly athletic person. Getting used to people referring to me as an athletic person <-- mind-blowing. Running a lot. Did I mention running? My husband is a little sick of the running. I worked myself up to running 10k, which seemed far. Then I decided to try running a half-marathon, just to see if I could. I trained for a marathon but didn't end up running it because I blew out my knee overtraining on my last long 30km run before the race. I rested up enough to start training again, and really got after it. I was talked into signing up for a 50km ultra trail run up and down a whole mountain (what on earth). I trained like crazy for the 50k, and ended up doing OK (survived, made it in before the cut-off time). Signed up for another ultra (in three weeks!). 

Through dealing with weird nutritional needs (lots of carbs, yikes! I literally squirt packets of sugar goo in my mouth during my long runs!) and just caloric needs (I'm burning an extra 4000-5000 calories per week running), plus gaining some muscle, I suppose, I've gained about 10 pounds in the last year, but it looks pretty good on me, so I'm not upset. I plan to go back to low carb and lower calorie once my next big race is done - 10 pounds less to carry around will make me a faster runner. I just can't work on losing while training - it doesn't seem to work for me, weirdly enough. 

So, today, to celebrate my surgiversary, I ran a 10k trail race. I did OK and felt comfortable competing and pushing myself. It was a fun race. I have pretty bad impostor syndrome at the starting line - trail runners look pretty badass, lean and muscled. I look pretty unimposing. I got 5th place among women (in a field of about 30) and 20th overall (of about 70). So not bad! It felt really good to go out and do something that would have been 1000% outside of my comfort zone three years ago (and, honestly, outside of my ability zone as well - it probably would have killed me). It felt like a great way to celebrate the changes I've experienced over the past three years. 

If anyone out there doubts they can make the changes necessary to succeed at this whole WLS thing, know that you can. It's not easy. It requires a ton of persistence. You have to keep making good choices every day, not just once, or even once in a while or most of the time. You will change your whole life - not just what you eat or how much, but what you do in your free time, what you think about, what you enjoy, your self-image, your identity. Everything. 

Here's a picture of me this morning at the end of the race. 

783160319_ScreenShot2020-02-14at12_33_23PM.thumb.png.82264ca095533cc7babbec5ee32d46e7.png

Very inspirational!  thank you for sharing.  I am a mere 3 months out from my RNY and your story helps me believe that my best days are yet to come. 

Happy 3rd Surgiversary Jen!

I have to tell you ... I am totally in awe of the way you not only lost your excess weight but turned your life around and embraced an active lifestyle.  I walked just shy of 4 miles (6.4km) with my dog yesterday and that tuckered me out.

Congratulations.  You continue to impress me so very much.  Here I sit in snowy Vermont, and you are running in hot and dry Oman.  

You remain an amazing inspiration to us all.  :)

Congrats!  You’ve done amazing!!

Your story is inspiring to so many, thank you for sharing it!  This tool we have is like a rebirth isn't it?  I know I feel like a completely different person and am thankful every day.

<3! This just filled me with joy to read. I am so happy to hear you have done so well. You are a total inspiration to me both as a weight loss surgery patient and a runner.

Just completed my first half marathon in November and am searching for my next challenge.

You are just so amazing.

On 2/24/2020 at 11:05 PM, like_rain_to_sea said:

Just completed my first half marathon in November and am searching for my next challenge.

Congrats! and thank you. 

Jen, you are amazing!! What a great way to celebrate your 3 years of success! Thank you so much for sharing your story, it's really inspirational. And you look so happy and glowing.