The first week or so after surgery, I lost weight like it was going out of style...to the tune of 21 lbs. After that, though, I started to have some of the common issues, that others have mentioned:

• nausea from water drinking
  • stagnation of losses

The most difficult parts, so far, have been that my stomach is quite unpredictable, when it comes to what sits well. Yesterday, for example, I ate some finely minced lunch meat, and that was fine. I even ate a bit or bread, as a trial, and that was fine. However, that evening, I tried some soup (Lao mild curry), and that was a disaster. I was eating dinner with friends, and had to go vomit 5 times.

The combination of not being sure what will agree with me, and my increasing distaste for protein shakes (I am _not_ a fan of sweet drinks!) has made this part of my weight loss very frustrating.

I managed to lose 95 lbs, before surgery, by simple portion control and rigid data logging (I'm a geek!). However, this part seems to be somewhat out of my control.

Any thoughts are welcome.

- Alex

Caliph - stick with it.  I've been out of surgery for 2 weeks longer than you & though I have not had the same complications - I am very gingerly experimenting with what the new sleeve will take & what it wont.  

For example - I found out that most pickles are zero calories (not sure how that works but its what the label says) - so I tried some.  Some pickles sit fine with me while others cause nasty heartburn.  

I have not tried any bread yet - kinda freaks me out - though I can eat most meat. 

I don't know if the curry you ate had too much spice - I like VERY spicy food - but find I can't manage things that are too spicy yet.  Maybe never. 

Best advice I can give is to keep trying things & see what works.   

As far as the weight loss - it will come in spurts with plateaus.  Don't worry too much if you stick at a weight for a few days or more. Just stick to the diet & eat healthy food - count calories & keep to 800ish a day (for where you are at this point in the journey)

You are only a few weeks out, were you not given a plan to follow ?   Is bread on your plan ?  I am confused

I’m on stage 3. So, probably not optimal. However, I’m an experimenter, and like to try a small amount of something, to see how it works.

The main issue that frustrates me is the variability of my stomach’s responses to food. I’m perfectly ok with trying something new, and having it not work, but having something that was fine before not be, is annoying.

As others have told me, I know that I need to be more patient. It’s hard, but I’m working on it!

- Alex

It is really important to follow your surgeons guidelines this early out and not experiment.  Breads, potatoes, pasta, rice are empty carbs and will derail weight loss.
and yes, stomachs can be unpredictable.  As can tastes (they can suddenly change).

9 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

It is really important to follow your surgeons guidelines this early out and not experiment.  Breads, potatoes, pasta, rice are empty carbs and will derail weight loss.
and yes, stomachs can be unpredictable.  As can tastes (they can suddenly change).

All of this. My surgeon encourages her patients not to eat bread, pasta or rice for the entire first year. Right now is the time to completely revamp your eating habits and create new normals. I understand the desire to experiment, but I'd really encourage you to use this time to nail down healthy eating habits that will promote weight loss and help with maintenance down the road. Carbs are such a Pandora's box- I really wish I'd kept my diet as strict as it was for my first few years after surgery. Even loosening the reins a couple years out has been a bad idea; I definitely would discourage it with your surgery being so recent.

I agree with the above...simple carbs (bread, rice, pasta) are really not advisable until maintenance and then with caution.  I would also add that early out, experimenting is best done at home so if it's something that doesn't sit well you are not in agony in public.  Which means checking out menu's ahead of time to see if there is something you have had before that is on plan.  Grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies can be found on most menus and when chewed really well settles for many that are advanced to solid food stages.  Omelets are great generally; many soups, although it sounds like you may have experienced dumping so it's important to make sure it's not one laden with hidden sugars (including lactose for many) that will cause dumping.  Fajitas work well, especially if you have someone to share an order with.  Skip the tortillas and just pick out the stuff you can eat.  Shrimp cocktail was an early go-to for me.  But I always made sure it was a food I had tried at home first.

Edited by msmarymac
correct typo

Lots of good advice here.  I avoided eating out as much as possible for the first 6 weeks after surgery.  Mostly of my experimenting was around figuring out what sources of nutrient dense protein would taste good to me and could be tolerated.  On the subject carbs, it comes down to this, food that raises your blood glucose also raises your insulin (storage hormone), and this signals your body to store energy (fat).  Things that spike your glucose and insulin are dense carbohydrates such as sugar, fructose, honey, bread or anything made from flower or grins as well as rice, pasta and starchy items like potato.  Focusing on nutrient dense protein sources and eliminating or minimizing carbohydrates will give you an edge when trying to burn fat because your body won't produce as much insulin.