Danarae

2 weeks post sleeve with constant nausea

I'm 2 weeks out from sleeve. Doctor told me I could advance to mushy foods and I'm unable to swallow anything without nausea or the feeling of it sitting and not moving. This also includes my liquids. Its uncomfortable to swallow water. I'm not getting enough water in because it's so miserable. By evening time I'm gagging and voming. Is there anyone else that has experienced this? I called on call doc last night they told me to go to ER. But heck this has been 2 weeks. What's wrong?!

I'm sorry you're off to a rough start Danarae.

Top priority is getting enough fluids in.  To this day (I had my WLS back in 2007), my pouch will not tolerate anything colder than room temperature and worse still, plain water is and always has been pretty much impossible to get down.

Have you tried warm tea? 

I can recommend Celestial Seasoning teas - fruity ones especially - I'm on a lemon kick right now.  

Hi Danarae,

I'm almost 2 weeks out from sleeve surgery and am experiencing nausea all day every day, as well. I'm also experiencing a severe aversion to all protein drinks and powders. My stomach literally spasms when it comes anywhere near my nose or mouth. I don't know if it's a psychological thing or what, but I can't seem to find other people this is happening to. My dietician and surgeon just keep telling me to try other brands and types, but I've mostly exhausted their list now.

I'm taking my vitamins, I'm staying hydrated because I can drink water and tea just fine. But I'm pretty much starving at this point. I'm lucky to get down 5g of protein in a day.

I just realized your post was 10 days ago. I hope you're doing better and got some answers. If so, can you post back and let us know what helped? 

Sheri

Welcome Sheri!

A thought - could your aversion to protein drinks be a temperature issue.  The reason I mention that is because even now (and I had my surgery a good few years ago), my pouch doesn't tolerate anything cooler than room temperature.  I found that warming protein shakes in the microwave solved the spasm issue so that might be worth a try.

Are any of you taking other medications that could be causing your nausea? 

I take Requip for restless leg syndrome - I was on 3mg but when I took my first pill (still in the hospital just after surgery) I thought it was going to kill me.  The nausea was unbearable - the only reason I didn't puke was I was afraid it would hurt too much right after surgery. 

I worked with my dr to change this dose & I may still change the med all together - but for me - I had a reaction to one of the meds I was on that caused the nausea. 

Hope this helps

On 1/11/2020 at 9:02 PM, mersenne said:

Hi Danarae,

I'm almost 2 weeks out from sleeve surgery and am experiencing nausea all day every day, as well. I'm also experiencing a severe aversion to all protein drinks and powders. My stomach literally spasms when it comes anywhere near my nose or mouth. I don't know if it's a psychological thing or what, but I can't seem to find other people this is happening to. My dietician and surgeon just keep telling me to try other brands and types, but I've mostly exhausted their list now.

I'm taking my vitamins, I'm staying hydrated because I can drink water and tea just fine. But I'm pretty much starving at this point. I'm lucky to get down 5g of protein in a day.

I just realized your post was 10 days ago. I hope you're doing better and got some answers. If so, can you post back and let us know what helped? 

Sheri

Have you tried the clear protien. The premier brand is good and has 20g. The nausea is still battle for me if I drink too fast. I actually got admitted back to hospital for dehydration swelling around surgery site, that's why I couldn't get anything down. But I'm slowly advancing and trying hard to push liquids. I also add little sugar free jello to the vanilla protein drink to get some different flavors. Hope that helps

One thing I liked in those early post-op weeks as a break from protein shakes and drinks was Unjury brand Chicken Soup.  It's kind of a broth really (no chunks), that's got 21g protein per serving and is pretty tasty.  I also used it in other things to up the protein, such as a butternut squash soup my Mom made for me.  Here's a link if you're interested  https://unjury.com/chickensoup-protein-container/

Something just comforting about a warm cup of soup in the winter anyway!