Welcome to Thinner Times!

I have never included the calcium from milk or protein shakes etc. etc. in my daily intake.  I take 3 x 500 mg doses of calcium citrate a day regardless of how much dairy I eat/drink.

On 12/25/2019 at 3:03 PM, cinwa said:

Welcome to Thinner Times!

I have never included the calcium from milk or protein shakes etc. etc. in my daily intake.  I take 3 x 500 mg doses of calcium citrate a day regardless of how much dairy I eat/drink.

Ditto

• 2 months later...

I am a little late to this post, but I did have this conversation with my bariatrician.  She told me that so long as I am eating 1-2 servings of dairy per day, that, along with 2 500u supplements would be sufficient.  

I am curious about the calcium citrate powders.  I just tried one today and could not get it to dissolve in cold water.  Does anyone have experience with them?  I was on the calcium citrate chews, but they give me heartburn.  

2 hours ago, Second_Chance_Graham said:

I am curious about the calcium citrate powders.  I just tried one today and could not get it to dissolve in cold water.  Does anyone have experience with them?  I was on the calcium citrate chews, but they give me heartburn.  

After the first month or so post op, almost everyone here to TTF takes their calcium citrate in pill form (the pills also have some vitamin D in them to speed the calcium absorption). The name brand of these pills in the US is Citrical, although the generic (e.g., from CVS or Walgreens) calcium citrate plus vitamin D pills are just as good and a lot cheaper. Note that these pills come in two sizes, so that you can buy the “mini” pills if the normal ones are too big for you to take.  
If you take your calcium citrate just before you eat a meal, it may cut down on your heartburn. 

Thank you for the insight.  I was looking for a tablet i could take but was struggling to find a suitable option.  Now I bought about 90 of these powder packages and so I guess i will need to use them.  I will definitely alter the time I take the calcium to 30 minutes prior to eating. 

• 8 months later...

The ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery) recommendation is 1,200–1,500 mg per day for RNY patients,  1,800 to 2,400 mg daily for Duodenal Switch patients. 

https://www.muhealth.org/sites/default/files/Bariatric Booklet BPD-DS 2018.pdf

And to everyone ... I can't stress the importance of having regular DEXA/DXA (bone density) scans.   This is my experience:   Osteopenia/Osteoporosis - Think you're safe? Well, think again! UPDATED!