Akmom52

Needing the best vitamins, mineral supplement advice

I am post vsg from 2013, i am 58 years old and i feel i have tried every over the counter vitamin and mineral supplement, however, not feeling my best. Low energy, stomach pain when i am sleeping, slow digestion / constipated.  Does anyone know a vitamin mineral that s the best for an older women that has had a VSG? I feel i am missing something and have no idea on how i can be sure what i am taking is the correct one for my health.  We have clinics opening that are infusions, has anyone tried these?  I really hate going to the doctor and would rather not have to make an appointment if not needed. 

thanks for any advice, 

akmom52

You may not have a vitamin/mineral issue at all. When is the last time you had your blood levels checked?  If it's been more than a year, that's where you should start.  Most sleevers don't have as much issue with deficiencies since we don't have the malabsorption that bypass does.  I wouldn't do infusions if you don't need them.

Constipation can cause abdominal pain for sure.  How much fiber are you getting?  Beans do the trick for me :) But of course everyone has their tried and true.  Constipation is a pretty common issue with both sleeve and bypass it seems, judging from the number of discussions about the topic.  You could try using something gentle like Miralax regularly to soften stool and help move things along.  It doesn't work fast,  but once you get things moving you can take a small daily dose and keep things moving.  It's an osmotic...it works by pulling water into the intestine which softens the poo, making it easier to get rid of.

Also, never forget that you are more than just your WLS.  Don't assume that every symptom you have is related to your sleeve.  You don't want to ignore and miss something that is treatable.  No need to suffer, right?  If these are new things going on, get them checked out, especially if it's been going on awhile.  I say this as a person close in age and nearly as long post-op sleeve...take care of you.

Thanks for the feed back.  It has been awhile since i have had my blood levels checked.  I guess that is a good place to start.

Have a blessed day

Akmom52

Akmom - if it's been a while since you last had your blood work done, I'd recommend you get that done first.

If all is well, checkout Kirkland Signature Multi-Vitamin & Minerals (500 tabs).  They're probably the most comprehensive OTC multivitamins that I know of - Costco has them on offer for $10.99/500 tabs - https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature™-Daily-Multi,-500-Tablets.product.11491625.html

Great question! I notice that the Celebrate vitamins I got from the surgeon hurt my pouch and make me nauseous. What are the best OTC chewable vitamins out there? Anybody have a favorite? 

1 hour ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

What are the best OTC chewable vitamins out there? Anybody have a favorite? 

In the many years since my weight loss surgery, the only multivitamins that I have only taken have been chewable.  My personal favorite chewable multivitamin is the CVS brand - Spectravite Chewables Adult 50+ - which is a cheaper version of the Centrum Silver Chewables.  They do not make me nauseous and are fairly tasty.

16 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

In the many years since my weight loss surgery, the only multivitamins that I have only taken have been chewable.  My personal favorite chewable multivitamin is the CVS brand - Spectravite Chewables Adult 50+ - which is a cheaper version of the Centrum Silver Chewables.  They do not make me nauseous and are fairly tasty.

Thank you so much! I will check these out. 

11 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

Thank you so much! I will check these out. 

I use the Walgreens adult multivitamin chewable. Note that This does not have iron in it.