Sign in to follow this  
Savannah814

Weight loss

Did anyone loose weight the week after surgery?  If so, how much? 

Also, I have alot of itching on my stomach, not my incisions just my stomach in general. Is there anything I can do about it

I've posted this many times over the years Savannah - a radical step but it was the best thing I could have done for myself.  It freed me up to just follow the programme and make sure I got some daily exercise in - even if it was just a good walk (or two):

I had a 35+ year history of yoyo dieting pre my WLS - all sabotaged by what I perceived a failure the moment the scales didn't record a loss.  So!  When I had my WLS, I decided not to have scales in the house until I got into the normal BMI range for my height.  I relied on visits to my surgeon/PCP to track my loss.

Itching is normal after surgery - it's part of the healing process.  Check in with your surgeon - mine suggested Benadryl Anti-Itch Relief Cream - avoiding incisions that haven't healed.

Yes I lost 20lbs the week following my surgery. My weight loss was due to me not eating. Which was a first for me, and my body. My body had never gone a day without at least 2000 calories. Let alone a whole week. But please remember everyone's body is different. My friend lost 30lbs the day after her surgery. And 50lbs after the first week. But you also have to consider that she was over 400lbs on her surgery date. I was under 300lbs. And there's some people who don't lose any weight the first week post-op. And even some people who gain after the first week. 

As for the itching. I was in so much pain and depression, that I can't recall if I had any itching. But I would just pick up some OTC anti-itching cream, and rub it on your stomach. 

Everyone is definitely different as far as weight loss right after surgery. I lost 7 pounds the first week. Try not to focus on the first week or so though. It will eventually start to come off and people retain water and swelling differently. It helped me to make a table of five pound increments of weight loss and write in the dates as I hit those. Then I only "officially" weighed in once per week. I knew that I may not get to check a box every week, and even at 5 pound per week, it was going to be a long-haul journey, not a sprint. This is the rest of your life, enjoy the ride! :) 

Sip, sip, sip those liquids, and count your protein! How are you feeling today?