Brass Monkey

Taking the plunge

Hello all,

First post here - just googled it.  

I see my surgeon on Wednesday (today is Monday) and it's about to get real. 

Where do I start ugh. 

I'm 49 - stunningly attractive and happily married for 21 years - but I have all of the health issues associated with being over weight. 

I'm 5'10 - was 309 at my heaviest.  I'm fluttering around 285 now.  

High blood pressure

sleep apnea

just diagnosed with diabetes

joint pain

out of breath

I want to get this over with as quickly as possible - so I can get to the post op me. 

When they ask me what my weight loss goals are - ha - I say being able to tie my shoes & breathe at the same time!  

I'm worried about the following. 

When I'm bored I eat, when I'm (mildly) stressed I eat, when I'm happy I eat etc. etc. 

What the heck am I going to do when I'm bored, stressed or happy?????

Anyway - wanted to say hi & let the world I'm going to be going through this. 

Welcome and best of luck to you! Being able to tie your shoes and breathe at the same time is a worthy goal :) Keep your eyes on the prize and understand that it'll be a lot of work and life changes to get where you're going, but it's so worth it. 

Welcome to the forum! We are here to support you. 

I was right along with most of the same thoughts you are having now. I ate for a host of reasons. And gasping when I tied my shoes was one of the final straws that sent me looking for help. 

I still work on what to do when I'm bored, stressed, or happy. I definitely get that. It's a journey. But now I get to work on those things as a healthy happy person. Some current substitutions for uncomfortable emotions are walking, allowing myself to rest, knitting, calling a friend, writing/reading on this forum, and thanking my lucky stars that I'm healthy again.