KirstenD

Issues with my Sleeve Gastrectomy

Hi this is my first post. I had my surgery on 9/19. While recovery my surgeon told my husband my liver looked great and that everything went great. I woke up and was taken to my room It was a rough first day they had me up and I passed out. Thank god the bed was there. I was sent home after 2 nights even though they had to give me 3 boluses of fluid to bring my blood pressure up. I was home for a couple of days but felt really bad. I was feeling like I had a ton of pressure and pain on mt left flank, so my husband took me back to the er and they did a CT. IT showed that I had a collection of blood around my spleen. They admitted me again this time 9 days while they pumped some antibiotics in. My surgeon was not on call that night, so after I get to the room my husband started to notice I wasn't making sense. They came in and I had a super high fever and my blood pressure tanked, so they rushed me into surgery again. when I got out I was intubated and in ICU for 2 days. They took me back to my room and my 1st surgeon came into my room and said that she had nicked my liver but really thought that she had it all taken care of. We were shocked because she made a point of telling us my liver was perfect. I seemed to get better so they sent me home again. I was home for 5 days and I was having the pain on my side from the blood around my spleen but i was having a hard time catching my breath so i called and sent me to the ED again. This time I had fluid on my left lung probably from the blood collection. So they xrayed me and saw that I fluid and they had a DR come in she used the biggest needle I have ever seen take the fluid out. I wasn't infection so that was good they admitted me for 2 days and then sent me home. I had gone to see the surgeon because I w as not eating or drinking enough. so she had me get an IV if fluid the next morning and she prescribed merinole to give me the urge to eat. I ended up taking it twice the 2 day I went to see her for a check up and she said that I was looking good and she was leaving on vacation for 2 weeks. The next morning my husband came in our room and had to help me up and when I went to stand he had to catch me. I was apparently not making any sense again and so he took me the hospital again. This time it was an infection again so this time they pounded the antibiotics to me and they put in a drain to hopefully get rid of the blood and infection. I got c diff from all the antibiotics. They had to put me in my own room and they did a swollow test and showed a leak in stomach. I was told that I could not have anything by mouth at all. They started me on TPN after they put in a picc line. 10 days later they sent me home. Home health had to come teach how to the TPN from home and they come every Monday to draw blood and change my picc line dressing. I haven't any food since Oct. 23 not that I was eating much before. I take in water in is with my daily meds. I started out 337 lbs. day of surgery I was 294, I am now 255. I was told that my leak has healed so hopefully I will be able to eat next week. We will see.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, KirstenD said:

Hi this is my first post. I had my surgery on 9/19. While recovery my surgeon told my husband my liver looked great and that everything went great. I woke up and was taken to my room It was a rough first day they had me up and I passed out. Thank god the bed was there. I was sent home after 2 nights even though they had to give me 3 boluses of fluid to bring my blood pressure up. I was home for a couple of days but felt really bad. I was feeling like I had a ton of pressure and pain on mt left flank, so my husband took me back to the er and they did a CT. IT showed that I had a collection of blood around my spleen. They admitted me again this time 9 days while they pumped some antibiotics in. My surgeon was not on call that night, so after I get to the room my husband started to notice I wasn't making sense. They came in and I had a super high fever and my blood pressure tanked, so they rushed me into surgery again. when I got out I was intubated and in ICU for 2 days. They took me back to my room and my 1st surgeon came into my room and said that she had nicked my liver but really thought that she had it all taken care of. We were shocked because she made a point of telling us my liver was perfect. I seemed to get better so they sent me home again. I was home for 5 days and I was having the pain on my side from the blood around my spleen but i was having a hard time catching my breath so i called and sent me to the ED again. This time I had fluid on my left lung probably from the blood collection. So they xrayed me and saw that I fluid and they had a DR come in she used the biggest needle I have ever seen take the fluid out. I wasn't infection so that was good they admitted me for 2 days and then sent me home. I had gone to see the surgeon because I w as not eating or drinking enough. so she had me get an IV if fluid the next morning and she prescribed merinole to give me the urge to eat. I ended up taking it twice the 2 day I went to see her for a check up and she said that I was looking good and she was leaving on vacation for 2 weeks. The next morning my husband came in our room and had to help me up and when I went to stand he had to catch me. I was apparently not making any sense again and so he took me the hospital again. This time it was an infection again so this time they pounded the antibiotics to me and they put in a drain to hopefully get rid of the blood and infection. I got c diff from all the antibiotics. They had to put me in my own room and they did a swollow test and showed a leak in stomach. I was told that I could not have anything by mouth at all. They started me on TPN after they put in a picc line. 10 days later they sent me home. Home health had to come teach how to the TPN from home and they come every Monday to draw blood and change my picc line dressing. I haven't any food since Oct. 23 not that I was eating much before. I take in water in is with my daily meds. I started out 337 lbs. day of surgery I was 294, I am now 255. I was told that my leak has healed so hopefully I will be able to eat next week. We will see.

Oh my goodness, you have had all the complications it seems!  I hope they finally have it all under control and you can get busy figuring out the sleeved life in a good way.  I'm so sorry this happened to you and hope you have smooth sailing from here on out.

Oh my, so sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with all these complications.  Prayers to you and a speedy recovery !

Oh my goodness, it sounds like you've been through the wringer. I hope you've turned a corner and start feeling better soon. What an awful list of complications you've experienced! :( Gentle hugs.

YIKES,, you have had a very rough start to your weight loss surgery journey.  Hopefully this will all get medically straightened out soon.  

We are here to support you.

Thank you all for the nice words they are really appreciated. I saw my surgeon on Wednesday she says my leak is gone. I was given the go ahead to eat Phase 4. This is day two and I am beginning to get the pain in my side again.  I guess I may just be scared something else is going to go wrong.

At this point I am terrified to eat. Keep praying for me this weekend because it may be me going back to the ER.

We remain here to support you!!  :)