Brattykid

Almost 1 year surgiversary!

Hello all!  It's been a while since I've been on here.  I assure you it's not because I don't miss ya'll!  I definitely do. It's been a crazy several months of extra work (1 full time / 2 part time jobs) to earn money to pay for our wedding and reception next May so I haven't had a lot of time to be online other than a quick peruse of Facebook.  Anyway, I thought I'd pop in and let you all know that I'm 3 days away from my 1 year surgiversary.  I met with my surgeon and rest of the team yesterday for my annual visit and it went wonderfully.  I've officially (according to them) lost 102 lbs aka 71% of my excess weight, according to me I've lost 104 lbs since my high weight. LOL I was down slightly (3lbs) lower sometime in the last month, but I've been playing with the same 5lbs for literally the last 6 months now.  I met with the dietitian and she suggested I either do a 16/8 fast or a whole 24 hour water and bone broth only fast to try to kickstart a little more movement again. I have started working about a bit more and even volunteered to do the United Hospital/Allina Clinic's bariatric team for the Twin Cities 5K next Oct/Nov. My surgeon told me to add a protein shake after working out on the days that I do because otherwise I'm not getting enough protein.  I'm hoping to drop another 20 lbs before next May when I get married in Grand Cayman. I feel like my body may have decided it is where it needs to be, which I would be fine with that also, but to be even more healthy is where I'd like to be and 20lbs would get me into or at least close to that normal BMI. 

Any tricks and tips that you all have that are tried and true to break the honest plateau/stalls?  I've done more water, more protein, I have picked up a sweet tooth, but my doc and my dietician told me that it's not enough to make me stall. So....any ideas to kick it or just stick with the fasting thing?  Some days I do feel like I'm definitely able to eat a lot more that I probably should be able to and some days I feel like I barely eat at all and end up grazing. I do not want to graze myself into complacency yet! 

I'd appreciate your suggestions :wub:

Thanks!

Cori

Hi Cori. Thanks for the update - it's great to hear that you're doing well (if very busy!). 

Down 104 is such a great place to be! I hope you're enjoying it.

I understand your wanting to drop a few more pounds - especially with an upcoming wedding (congrats), it does feel nice to be at a place you want to stop losing rather than where your body decides to take a break for a while. Fasting works for some people, but not me. I get crazy hungry if I don't have lots of little snacks throughout the day. If it works for you, though, please proceed! I think if I were in your position, I would go all-out, perfect very low carb, no treats, no wiggle room for three or four weeks just to see how that goes. Calorie and macro counting, the whole deal, with like under 30g of carbs per day. Tons of water. That way, I would at least know if bringing the full arsenal would have the desired effect. It might be something that would jar the system and get things moving again. That would work within the parameters of fasting, as well, particularly the low carb aspect, which would probably make you less hungry. 

Whatever you decide to do, and however your body reacts to it, you have achieved a very successful level of weight loss! Congrats on that, and remember to pat yourself on the back for all you've accomplished.

Congrats!  You’ve come a long ways!  Grand Cayman is great!  When in may are you getting married?  And where in GC?  We are there April 25-may 9th.  We stay very close to Georgetown. We have a time share there. 

On 11/27/2019 at 10:54 PM, Cheesehead said:

We are there April 25-may 9th.  We stay very close to Georgetown. We have a time share there. 

Thank you!  :):) And...you are kidding me!  We love Cayman also - this will be our 3rd trip in 6 years.  We'll be getting married at Smith Cove on May 7th!  We'll be there from May 2-9th this time.  Small world we live in!  :) :wub:  We're staying in Bodden Town this time. We've stayed in a friend's condo on the north end not too far from Rum Point and we've stayed at Morritt's Resort before also and loved both of those, we decided to be in the middle of the island this time so that it's only 20-25 minutes from everywhere we need to go.  We're so excited! Hoping that the terrible sargassum that has been an issue the last few years in May is non-existent this time. :( This will be our first trip there at this time of year - usually we're there in March.

May is usually pretty good.  And not so crowded.  Our timeshare is small (12 units). Directly across from Kirks supermarket.  We go every year the end of April for 2 weeks..we stayed at Morritts once but it was too far over.  We do everything on the west side.  A friend and I helped a couple of guys decorate a gazebo at smiths cove 2 years ago..are you flying Delta?  If so we could be on the same return flight;). The sargassum wasn’t too bad last year.  Let’s hope!  Before that trip, I’m going to Sanibel, FL with my daughters for a week in January.  So looking forward to that!!

On 12/3/2019 at 11:51 AM, Brattykid said:

Thank you!  :):) And...you are kidding me!  We love Cayman also - this will be our 3rd trip in 6 years.  We'll be getting married at Smith Cove on May 7th!  We'll be there from May 2-9th this time.  Small world we live in!  :) :wub:  We're staying in Bodden Town this time. We've stayed in a friend's condo on the north end not too far from Rum Point and we've stayed at Morritt's Resort before also and loved both of those, we decided to be in the middle of the island this time so that it's only 20-25 minutes from everywhere we need to go.  We're so excited! Hoping that the terrible sargassum that has been an issue the last few years in May is non-existent this time. :( This will be our first trip there at this time of year - usually we're there in March.