Cindy Lou Who

Hurt My Paw

Last weekend I tripped while I was on a five-mile run, and I broke my foot! Now I have to wear a boot for 6 weeks, and no weight bearing exercise for 12 weeks. ACHHHHH!

My favorite way to feel in control with eating, staying even-keeled emotionally, and less stressed is through exercising 5-6 days per week. Now I feel scared, stressed, and find myself eating more. I have recently gained about 7 pounds and am now 2 pounds over my "happy range." So that coupled with loss of exercise and holidays approaching has me a bit scared. :eek: 

Regain is not an option! Failure is not an option! Complacency is not an option! Right? 

3 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

Regain is not an option! Failure is not an option! Complacency is not an option! Right? 

RIGHT!!  When I find that I am overeating, I increase my consumption of no (or very low) calorie liquids whenever I am tempted to snack or overeat - as this keeps my stomach full, my hands busy, and my mind on something besides food.

I am so very sorry to hear of your injury.  

We are here to support you.

Ugh, so sorry to hear it, @Cindy Lou Who - that sucks.  :(  I know how you feel about exercise, I'm the same way.  I think fear of regain starts as soon as our rapid weight loss stops, and I've gotten through mine so far with extensive use of my treadmill desk and visits to the gym!

But you know like I do - we actually win our battles in the kitchen. You can get through this.  Three months is nothing!

And there's still exercise you can do.  Spend those 3 months with weights, getting your arms/upper body/abs really pumped!  Do some yoga/chair yoga to get stretchy!  Crutch around the house and neighborhood as much as you can and are allowed to.  And like @Res Ipsa says, you can modify your diet during these three months to suit your new, temporary needs.

Holidays ARE super tough.  I'm kind of afraid of ours, too.  It's a bit easier for me, as I am pretty much completely turned off by leftovers.  My intention is mainly to count daily calories instead of worrying about macros for the next week - that has generally served me well in the short term and helped me get through the big "food holidays."  Plus I just try to make sure there are decadent cheese-based dishes that won't do me too much harm.  ;) 

Stick close to your TT home for the next three months, too - maybe try blogging briefly every day?  I find there is a direct correlation between how well I eat during the day and whether or not I've visited this place.  You guys still keep me honest. 

Good luck!

Oh no!!  Take it one day at a time!  Keep high protein stuff around.  Fruit..I use apples to fill me up when I think I need something.  May not be protein but they are dense and fill me up and lower calorie..

can you get around at all?  A wheeled scooter?  

my favorite thing to eat around thanksgiving with leftovers are little corn tortillas 3 for 100 calories (I eat 2) with cut up turkey or ham bites with shredded cabbage and cheese and salsa..after cooking the big meal I just don’t want to eat it, lol!!

On 11/23/2019 at 10:51 AM, Res Ipsa said:

RIGHT!!  When I find that I am overeating, I increase my consumption of no (or very low) calorie liquids whenever I am tempted to snack or overeat - as this keeps my stomach full, my hands busy, and my mind on something besides food.

I am so very sorry to hear of your injury.  

We are here to support you.

Thank you for two things. First, thanks for the great tip about upping liquids. I drink water with a splash of Bai drinks, and I tried drinking more. It's good to keep me satisfied. Thanks. 

More importantly, thanks for you support! VERY helpful! :D

7 hours ago, Kio said:

Ugh, so sorry to hear it, @Cindy Lou Who - that sucks.  :(  I know how you feel about exercise, I'm the same way.  I think fear of regain starts as soon as our rapid weight loss stops, and I've gotten through mine so far with extensive use of my treadmill desk and visits to the gym!

But you know like I do - we actually win our battles in the kitchen. You can get through this.  Three months is nothing!

And there's still exercise you can do.  Spend those 3 months with weights, getting your arms/upper body/abs really pumped!  Do some yoga/chair yoga to get stretchy!  Crutch around the house and neighborhood as much as you can and are allowed to.  And like @Res Ipsa says, you can modify your diet during these three months to suit your new, temporary needs.

Holidays ARE super tough.  I'm kind of afraid of ours, too.  It's a bit easier for me, as I am pretty much completely turned off by leftovers.  My intention is mainly to count daily calories instead of worrying about macros for the next week - that has generally served me well in the short term and helped me get through the big "food holidays."  Plus I just try to make sure there are decadent cheese-based dishes that won't do me too much harm.  ;) 

Stick close to your TT home for the next three months, too - maybe try blogging briefly every day?  I find there is a direct correlation between how well I eat during the day and whether or not I've visited this place.  You guys still keep me honest. 

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your reply! I love all the ideas:

1) "We actually win our battles in the kitchen". Words to live by. No excuses just because I lost exercise. Food is 80% of this. Thanks for the great reminder!

2) Exercise I can do - Hmm. It's a good time to get over hating weights. :lol: And I did do the exercise bike yesterday. Made me feel good. I usually don't like it, but better than no cardio!

3) Holidays - I like your planning. I'm hosting Thanksgiving, so I can write down ahead of time what I plan to eat and it's calories and Weight Watcher points. 

4) TT home - It's a good time to lean in close, isn't it. Good thinking! You guys are all so awesome!!!  I bet there is a direct correlation between how well i will do and visiting the site! 

Edited by Cindy Lou Who

5 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Oh no!!  Take it one day at a time!  Keep high protein stuff around.  Fruit..I use apples to fill me up when I think I need something.  May not be protein but they are dense and fill me up and lower calorie..

can you get around at all?  A wheeled scooter?  

my favorite thing to eat around thanksgiving with leftovers are little corn tortillas 3 for 100 calories (I eat 2) with cut up turkey or ham bites with shredded cabbage and cheese and salsa..after cooking the big meal I just don’t want to eat it, lol!!

Thanks for your ideas too! :wub:

1) One day at a time - Yes, and I'll make sure I track my food these 12 weeks and weigh every morning. That helps keep me on track. 

2) I followed your protein advice and treated myself to store bought rotisserie chicken breast already made. Feels lazy and luxurious, and now will have something good to grab. 

3) Great minds think alike on the apples! I had just bought a bag of tiny honeycrisps. Nice pouch-sized and low in calories! 

4) Little corn tortillas for 33 calories? I've never seen them! Great idea! Being a Texan, I love Mexican food!! I'll search them out. 

And yes, I can get around as I have a boot. It's sore, but so grateful that it's so much better than crutches, and I can take it off for a shower. Modern medicine is SUCH a good thing! 

Thanks so much for your support!! 

Try not to worry too much about the no weight-bearing.  I probably spent a good year since my surgery non-weightbearing,  either in a cast or a boot. It doesn't have to cause regain unless you let it. You just need to be careful not to let too many carbs slip back in at this time. I still tend to go with the drink first if I think I might be hungry. Even though I may actually be hungry, at least it delays my eating something for around about an hour. Make staying non-weightbearing your top priority for now, if you don't it can really delay the healing process,  and having been there done that multiple times over the past 5 years, I'd much rather deal with the small amount of weight regain, than end up booted and non-weightbearing for even longer. Hope you mend soon.

20 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Try not to worry too much about the no weight-bearing.  I probably spent a good year since my surgery non-weightbearing,  either in a cast or a boot. It doesn't have to cause regain unless you let it. You just need to be careful not to let too many carbs slip back in at this time. I still tend to go with the drink first if I think I might be hungry. Even though I may actually be hungry, at least it delays my eating something for around about an hour. Make staying non-weightbearing your top priority for now, if you don't it can really delay the healing process,  and having been there done that multiple times over the past 5 years, I'd much rather deal with the small amount of weight regain, than end up booted and non-weightbearing for even longer. Hope you mend soon.

Thanks for the encouragement. I do feel bad about whining, and I need to cut that out. Alot of folks have worse issues than I do, and also more permanent ones. 

One a side note, I did the exercise bike at the gym today, and the sweat felt good. Put me in better spirits. And still tracking what I eat. I know I initially lost weight without exercising, so maybe this can be a good reminder that the pouch makes staying at a healthy weight way easier!! :) 

Oh, poor you! That's no fun at all :( 

There have already been a lot of great suggestions here, so I'm sure you'll be able to cope. Do you have a pool somewhere nearby that you could swim at? That's such great exercise. I did a lot of "pool running" when my knee was bad last summer (you don't touch your feet to the bottom at all, so no weight bearing). I also managed some exercise biking when I wrecked my knee a couple of winters ago. Oh, you may have noticed I have knee problems... :D Weights are great, too, even if I find them pretty boring usually. They yield great results, anyway. 

We're all here for you when you feel frustrated and are missing running. Just be proud that you're at a point where you miss running. Crazy stuff, weight loss.

21 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Oh, poor you! That's no fun at all :( 

There have already been a lot of great suggestions here, so I'm sure you'll be able to cope. Do you have a pool somewhere nearby that you could swim at? That's such great exercise. I did a lot of "pool running" when my knee was bad last summer (you don't touch your feet to the bottom at all, so no weight bearing). I also managed some exercise biking when I wrecked my knee a couple of winters ago. Oh, you may have noticed I have knee problems... :D Weights are great, too, even if I find them pretty boring usually. They yield great results, anyway. 

We're all here for you when you feel frustrated and are missing running. Just be proud that you're at a point where you miss running. Crazy stuff, weight loss.

Thanks, @Jen581791! One sentence hit me right between the eyes: "Just be proud that you're at a point where you miss running." Wow! There's the silver lining! I am SO grateful that my body is healthy now and likes to move! At 57 and super heavy I had no hope to ever want to get off the couch. And now the weight loss has resulted in a renewed body that enjoys being busy, enjoys sweating, enjoys life! That makes this 12 weeks seem like nothing in my future happy life. I feel my attitude adjusting. 

And thanks for the suggestion of the pool. I will look into that in a few weeks. Right now ANY pressure on my foot to move when I'm outside the boot really hurts. But great idea for a few weeks down the line. 

How are you doing?

On 11/30/2019 at 4:42 PM, Cheesehead said:

How are you doing?

Thanks for asking. I waited to respond until I went back to WW for another weigh in. I'm SO relieved to report that I'm back in my happy weight range. At first I was using my hurt paw as an excuse to sabotage my eating habits. I started having super bad fears of regain because I had a stress fracture about 5 years ago and gained 70 pounds! Now I feel like I beat back an ugly monster rearing it's head.

I heard a line the other day about sabotage. It said that until you believe that you deserve to be happy, or deserve the success, you will continue to sabotage yourself. This line had nothing to do with weight loss, but it seems appropriate here too! So whenever I started reaching for a high risk food and heard myself thinking, "Oh well, I can't exercise, I bet I'll regain again like I did last time," I consciously said the mantra, "I DESERVE to be happy. Staying healthy makes me happy. I deserve to stay healthy." Voila! Willpower would kick in! 

I'm week 2 into 6 weeks in the cast boot, and still know I need it. My foot is still bruised and a little swollen, and really hurts if I put any weight on it. But I can get around on the cast boot so keeping my chin up. (Most of the time! Haha!) 

Holidays are upon us! I hope everyone is staying sane, safe and silly ! :lol:

It’s my turn.  I had a bad fall 10 days ago.  I’d buckled my granddaughter into the car and was stepping backwards.  Not realizing my son in law had set the diaper bag behind me.  I tripped over it and landed full tilt on my lower back. I must have thrown my hand behind me as I also sprained my thumb!  Back still hurts a lot!  I sit on ice packs then the heating pad.  Sitting and laying down hurt the most.  A feel like an old lady getting in and out of the car..

On 12/10/2019 at 6:12 PM, Cheesehead said:

It’s my turn.  I had a bad fall 10 days ago.  I’d buckled my granddaughter into the car and was stepping backwards.  Not realizing my son in law had set the diaper bag behind me.  I tripped over it and landed full tilt on my lower back. I must have thrown my hand behind me as I also sprained my thumb!  Back still hurts a lot!  I sit on ice packs then the heating pad.  Sitting and laying down hurt the most.  A feel like an old lady getting in and out of the car..

Oh dear!!! That's terrible!! I'm so sorry that happened to you!! I bet you are all black and blue by now. So sorry you're having a hard time. 

How are you feeling today? Can you sleep okay or does it wake you up? Hang in there! Lots of hugs and prayers coming your way, @Cheesehead

On 12/12/2019 at 1:55 PM, Cindy Lou Who said:

Oh dear!!! That's terrible!! I'm so sorry that happened to you!! I bet you are all black and blue by now. So sorry you're having a hard time. 

How are you feeling today? Can you sleep okay or does it wake you up? Hang in there! Lots of hugs and prayers coming your way, @Cheesehead

Thanks Cindy.  Funny thing was I didn’t have any bruises.  Nor did my upper back hurt.   It’s getting better but I never realized how much I use my lower back (even rolling over at night).  And I was using ibuprofen, gasp! Done with that though but the first few days I was using it to control the pain.  Made sure to take it with food..

when do you get the boot off?  

On 12/15/2019 at 8:56 PM, Cheesehead said:

Thanks Cindy.  Funny thing was I didn’t have any bruises.  Nor did my upper back hurt.   It’s getting better but I never realized how much I use my lower back (even rolling over at night).  And I was using ibuprofen, gasp! Done with that though but the first few days I was using it to control the pain.  Made sure to take it with food..

when do you get the boot off?  

Glad you're on the mend. I've had to take ibuprofen a couple of times too, and I was okay. Multivitamins are still harder on my pouch than ibuprofen! :rolleyes:

I go back to the orthopedist first week in January to see if I can get the boot off. Struggling with keeping my chin up, as even doing the exercise bike hurts it. I'm a bit in the doldrums, as I'm missing my walks and runs.  But it's been 4 weeks so time is marching on.