Hi Everyone.  My name is Suzie from the uk.  I am 2 weeks post-op from my gastric bypass.  My Doctor has told me that I must sip all liquids and not take gulps.  Can someone please tell me will I always have to sip or is it just for now.  Thanks everyone.

Welcome to Thinner Times Suzie!

I never did much of any sipping.  But I've never been a gulper either - I just took a reasonable mouthful of fluid.

Gulping is really only problematic for most in the post-op stage because there is so little room with all the swelling.  Once everything is healed and you have the hang of what works for you, most can drink normally.  I'm a sleeve so it may not apply exactly equally, but I have (without really thinking about it) gulped huge amounts of water after working in the garden in the heat.  No problems.

Welcome by the way, and congrats on starting your new healthy life!

Hi, Suzie - welcome!

I'm just over 2 years out from my gastric bypass, and a confirmed gulper! I took it easy for the first 4 months or so, but since then I've had no problems guzzling as much as I want to of any non-carbonated beverage.  (I have to slooooooowly work my way through anything carbonated; sometimes it can take me a day to get through a can of seltzer water.  I generally only do that if there's no other option available and I'm dying of thirst.)

This varies from person to person.  I have a friend who is 10 years out from her gastric bypass who still has to sip rather than gulp.  I'm afraid for this you'll just have to listen to your body and see how it goes.  I hope it turns out the way you want!

Sipping is best when you are in the first few months after surgery.  After about 4 months I found that I could gulp liquids, and have been gulping most liquids (except for wine of course :rolleyes:) since then.

Generally speaking, in the long term people who have a gastric bypass are more likely to be able to gulp liquids than people who have a gastric sleeve.  This because people with a gastric bypass do not have a pyloric valve to stop liquids from flowing easily out of their stomach pouches into their intestines.

I can drink 8-10 oz.  but I can’t guzzle like the old days..early on I remember drinking too fast and the overflow came out my nose, lol!

Hi Everyone. Thank you all for your replies, your answers have helped a lot. I have without thinking gulped my drink  (water) on more than one occasion and it se ems all is well.  Thanks for the brilliant welcome from you all.   I hope to become more involved as my new life continues and I know I will have many more questions.