PapaDavid

Almost to Onederland!

200.4 lbs. this morning! I feel close to 199, but I’m not necessarily getting my hopes up too much for tomorrow morning since the weight loss comes every couple of days it seems. I’m currently at the lowest weight that I’ve been in 25 years though so hallelujah to that! I’m missing my favorite foods something fierce sometimes but I try and remember why I did this. If I hadn’t I would be back up around 260 already by now. As I’ve said before, I want to be alive to enjoy the rest of my life with @Nana Trish. She does her best to keep me on the straight and narrow and she does a wonderful job. The body dysmorphia is real and seeing my weight loss in the mirror is a little scary sometimes. Not knowing what you will look like in another 25 to 30 lbs is a bit nerve wracking. Not wanting to get scrawny and lose too much muscle mass is also a point of stress. How do keep from losing too much weight when you can’t even eat normal foods yet. I got a big head start on my diet before the surgery and I only had another 40 or so lbs. left to lose. Of those I’ve lost 20 so far and 15 more to my initial goal of 185. Now I’m thinking I may have to reconsider my goal. I start week 5 post op tomorrow which introduce a few new foods and I’m thinking the weight loss may slow down a little which is good and not so good at the same time. If anyone wants to share their experiences with these same concerns (fears) please comment. I look forward to reading your thoughts. Have a great day!

Great job so far and I hope that you reach onederland very soon!  

Try not to be upset about missing some of your favorite foods - as once you reach your goal weight you should be able to eat them in reasonable moderation as part of a healthy balanced maintenance diet.  More importantly, months of the post-op diet will teach you to appreciate (and hopefully enjoy) a more healthy diet.  Indeed, I have found that many of my pre-surgery unhealthy favorite foods (such as are totally undesirable to me now.

Also remember that the whole purpose of your weight loss surgery is to allow you to lose your extra weight and keep it off long term, thereby allowing you to live much longer and to lead a much more active lifestyle.  No food is worth giving up years of your life.

Your monthly weight loss rate should slow down as you approach your goal weight.  Do not worry about losing too much weight, since if this were to happen you should be able to gain weight by adding lots of carbs (like your yummy cookies :rolleyes:) to your diet.

At 5-08 in height I suspect that your goal weight should be around 170 pounds - but it may be higher or lower.  I discuss setting a goal weight in this post:

We (and the wonderful @Nana Trish) are here to support you. :)

Thank you! @Res Ipsa, I was just telling @Nana Trish last night how it’s horrible to know the answers to your concerns and when the uncertainty creeps in logic goes out the window. So while I’m sitting on my front porch watching a couple of stray kittens eat some kitty food on my front step (we can’t let them go hungry) I’m reading your post and your words are a comfort. Thank you for taking the time and care to reply to my post. Today was the beginning of week five and as I thought, not yet in onederland. Trish and I are getting a ton of landscaping work done  now that the rain has stopped and I’ve barely thought about food today :-/ so I take the good with the not so good. Reading others reassurances is a great help and I should even be posting some photos soon. Have great night!

You're doing an amazing job David so try not to let a number on a scale get to you.  That was the downfall of my every dieting attempt pre-WLS so I chose not to have scales in the house after my surgery until I got into the normal BMI range.  I relied on surgeon/PCP follow-ops/visits and for me, it was the best thing I could have done for myself. 

@PapaDavid is in onederland :D

194 and dropping lol :) 

I had my Gastric sleeve bypass on November 4th 2019. I am 1 week post op. I'm having a hard time drinking fluids. All the things that I liked I can't even get down. If I sip a cold drink or room temp I get so much pain. I can handle worm things like cream soups and worm drinks. Will this ever change, will I ever be able to drink anything cold ever again. This is really getting hard.  HELP any advice to help me get through this!!

On 11/10/2019 at 9:48 AM, Jane Kleinfelter said:

I had my Gastric sleeve bypass on November 4th 2019. I am 1 week post op. I'm having a hard time drinking fluids. All the things that I liked I can't even get down. If I sip a cold drink or room temp I get so much pain. I can handle worm things like cream soups and worm drinks. Will this ever change, will I ever be able to drink anything cold ever again. This is really getting hard.  HELP any advice to help me get through this!!

Your body is going through a lot of change and post-surgery healing now. While it is possible that cold or room temperature drinks will continue to bother you in a few weeks/months, it is also quite likely that you (like me) will be able to enjoy liquids of all temperatures. For now, try to relax and be sure to get enough liquids (of any temperature) into your body, as dehydration can be a very serious problem after weight loss surgery. 
We are here to support you. 

On 11/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, Nana Trish said:

This is great news!! 

On 11/9/2019 at 3:17 PM, Nana Trish said:

Way to go!  

On 11/10/2019 at 8:48 AM, Jane Kleinfelter said:

We are all different.  I could tolerate cold from the start.  My NUT told me before surgery that cold may never agree with me.  That had me bummed because I pretty much like ice cold drinks.  I could never understand how anyone could drink room temperature water, gag!  Get down your liquids anyway you can.  And yes tastes change..

On 11/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, Nana Trish said:

Hey, @Nana Trish, I see this has become a family affair! Welcome, @PapaDavid!  What a great thing to do as a couple and a great gift to give little (big!) Harper and the rest of the family....two healthy parents/grandparents!  YEAH Team Trishid....or Davish! :D