Adventureland

Ow, chia seeds

Travel threw off my system a bit and I was feeling a bit constipated, so I had a bowl of strawberries topped with chia seeds tonight because I’d heard they were good for that sort of thing. They are not, apparently, compatible with a gastric bypass and feel stuck—my stomach hurts and I’ve been burping up mucus for the past two hours. I sure wish I had some papaya enzyme right about now. Lesson learned—no chia seeds. 

36 minutes ago, Adventureland said:

Travel threw off my system a bit and I was feeling a bit constipated, so I had a bowl of strawberries topped with chia seeds tonight because I’d heard they were good for that sort of thing. They are not, apparently, compatible with a gastric bypass and feel stuck—my stomach hurts and I’ve been burping up mucus for the past two hours. I sure wish I had some papaya enzyme right about now. Lesson learned—no chia seeds. 

I’m sorry you’re going through that!! It’s such an awful feeling, for sure! I hope you’re starting to feel better now ❤️

I’ve eaten a lot of chia seeds and never had trouble with them...but I only eat them mixed into my Greek yogurt. I have to let them sit in the yogurt for like 5 minutes before I can eat it though, because they expand. Eating them on strawberries may be causing the problem, because they are probably not expanding before you eat them. It’s probably happening after you eat, so technically you’re overeating because of that. I sure hope you can get unstuck soon and feel better! Be gentle on your pouch tomorrow, because it may be sensitive or sore all day after what you’re going through right now ❤️

Sorry to hear about your trouble! Sounds awful :( 

I eat chia seeds pretty often. I mix them into a low-carb overnight oats recipe I use. They're soaked overnight, though, so that might make a difference. They swell up a lot and get sort of... slimy? That helps the oats stick together, but I can see how it would also cause a stuck in your stomach. Like Trish said, take it easy for a few days.