PapaDavid

2 1/2 weeks post op

Hi everyone, So I’m 2 1/2 weeks out from surgery and the rapid weight loss continues. I was 221.8 lbs. the morning of surgery and this morning I weighed in at 206.2 lbs. for a grand total of 66.6 :o pounds including pre-op diet. I had my first major incident of food getting stuck yesterday with about 2 tablespoons of tuna salad. That took about 2 hours to resolve itself and I’m feeling more of a restriction since then that I hadn’t felt before. So I’m back to softer foods for a day or two. @Nana Trishassured me that this is perfectly normal. Honestly if it wasn’t for her I would probably worry a lot more about it since I was eating more with no problem the last few days. Other than that The only problem I have is extremely sensitive (painful) skin on my stomach which apparently is caused from nerve damage from the surgery. I’m told it will take some time to get better. Did anyone else experience this? If so, how long did it take to get better? 

Edited by PapaDavid

061E18D8-712C-4032-AD8C-BC3AA00F8F37.jpegPosting this for @PapaDavid...he tried but it kept showing up sideways, lol :)

Edited by Nana Trish

Way to go, @PapaDavid...almost in onederland!!! :wub:

Sounds like you're doing great! 

I would have loved to have someone talk me down after the first time I got stuck :( I was in an absolute panic and was just sure I'd done something terribly wrong. Nope. Count your blessings, starting with Trish. She is a treasure trove of experience. 

No nerve damage to my stomach so I can't help you there. It doesn't sound fun. I hope it resolves itself soon. 

1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

Sounds like you're doing great! 

I would have loved to have someone talk me down after the first time I got stuck :( I was in an absolute panic and was just sure I'd done something terribly wrong. Nope. Count your blessings, starting with Trish. She is a treasure trove of experience. 

No nerve damage to my stomach so I can't help you there. It doesn't sound fun. I hope it resolves itself soon. 

He is doing great, Jen!! It’s hard to explain to someone that one day you can eat something and it can go down just fine, and eat a couple of bites of the same food the next day, and it can get stuck after WLS. David had seen me go through this SEVERAL times, and always commented he wouldn’t want to go through that. He’s VERY new to “solids” and I think he is eating a little too fast in addition to his pouch still adjusting to foreign foods. And I think he’s advancing his allowed amounts of food a bit too fast as well (what do we always say? Just because you CAN do it doesn’t mean you should or that you’re ready). I suggested he move back a stage for a day or two, then eat VERY slowly when he starts back on the tuna. Hopefully that will help him. And thanks for the compliments :wub: I got my experience the hard way like you did with the salmon, lol. 

As for the nerve damage from his surgery, I guess it’s common with a lot of folks after laparoscopic surgery of any type. I had never heard of it before now. He says his skin (not the incisions) feels like a bad sunburn and is painful to the touch. It is supposed to get better but could take a while.

Wow - you are doing great!  

It is normal (especially early on) to occasionally have food "getting stuck" or "feeling overfull."  Not fun - but each of these problems usually end fairly quickly.  Remember that early on you need to chew your food to a paste, to eat small bites,  and to pause between bites.  

Be sure to let us know when you reach "onederland."  We are here to support you.

10 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Wow - you are doing great!  

It is normal (especially early on) to occasionally have food "getting stuck" or "feeling overfull."  Not fun - but each of these problems usually end fairly quickly.  Remember that early on you need to chew your food to a paste, to eat small bites,  and to pause between bites.  

Be sure to let us know when you reach "onederland."  We are here to support you.

❤️❤️❤️

On 10/13/2019 at 5:46 PM, PapaDavid said:

..............The only problem I have is extremely sensitive (painful) skin on my stomach which apparently is caused from nerve damage from the surgery. I’m told it will take some time to get better. Did anyone else experience this? If so, how long did it take to get better? 

Sound like you are off to a great start David - congratulations!

Sharp, stinging, cramping, tearing, stabbing, burning, tingling post surgical pain/discomfort is not usual and it generally goes after a few days but for some (me included), it can linger a little longer than we'd like.  According to my surgeon, it's caused by injury to the skin, muscles, and/or nerves and can happen with laparoscopic and open surgery.

Rubbing the area in small, circular motions, pressing firmly with the tips of your fingers (dipped a bit of oil if your incision has healed) can help a lot if you do it regularly.

Walking, stretching and slow side-to-side bending (with your arms raised) can be helpful but you need to do it regularly throughout the day.