NuttyMoonBride

XL Hiatal Hernia 6 yrs post Sleeve.. Im so conflicted

Greetings, 

If anyone relates to my story, I welcome any suggestion that could help me.  Thanks.  

I'm having a hard time believing I have a Very, Very large Hiatal Hernia(HH) nearly 6 years after my Sleeve.  Its been a year since I've been experiencing, GERD and nausea.  I visited a New Surgeon who recommended an Endoscopy, and the results showed Very, Very large HH and a tight sleeve.   The doctor suggested to repaired it ASAP.     Well, I asked the doctor time to reflect on it as I have a 3 kids,  2 jobs and 2 cats.  ASAP  is not an option.  Then my Bariatric Surgeons stated:

"You can have it repaired, but it would keep reoccurring because it is the pressure from the sleeve that causes it or you can have a Bypass and eradicated it for good"   its either all or nothing."    Then, he goes:  " the irony of your situation is that with your medical history, you'd think both of your insurances, BCBS  & Aetna will cover the bypass, but they may not.  They will cover the repair, even if we do it multiple times."   he then adds:  " we can submit for a revision, after all, the HH is a medical complication resulting from the Sleeve, therefore is considered medically necessary, but they may not approve it because you still need to have 2 co-morbid condition, which you do not.    Your blood pressure is well controlled with the current meds as the dilated cardiomyopathyhe is incurable.  I suggest you continue taking  your hb meds in addition to the Famotidine 40mg and Protonix 40mg and  Zofram 8mg for Nausea to deal with GERD until you decide what you want to do?     

Oh My!!! ..  The thought of a bypass scares me anyways, but I surely do not want to be dealing with a re-occurring hernia and  I do not see myself taking extra meds for the rest of my life to control GERD.      During my last pregnancy 3 years ago, I gained 36 lbs.  I went from 140-176 lbs.  Today, I'm 155.  at times I gain/ lose 5 lbs on average.   I still have restriction when I eat.  I don't exercise and sadly enough drink  my calories which has contributed to my weight gain.   Even though the Bypass will help me lose  weight, having it does not motivates me.   6 years ago I did not opt for it when I was approved and my reasons were health related.    The revision, will not improve my blood pressure, gaining weight will not help the cardiomyopathy but it will not make it worse.  The bypass will will get rid of the GERD and the HH and its re-occurrences, which means no more PPI's meds for GERD.  'Im caught between a rock and a hard place.   What do I do? 

Do I continue taking PPi's for GERD? 

Do I repair it each time it reoccurs? 

Submit the request for a bypass to both insurances knowing that if denied, I must appeal the decisions each time they deny it?   

thanks in advance for your suggestions.  

Edited by NuttyMoonBride
typographical errors

Try to get the bypass approved. What have you got to lose. My revision to bypass completely reversed my GERD. Life is so much better now.

At the end of the day it is your choice and I don't now what I would do.  I have GERD and a small hernia that they found 2 months after surgery.  Good luck to you and what ever choice you decide to make.

I too have a sleeve and was recently (about 6 months ago) diagnosed with a hiatal hernia that wasn't there when I had sleeve surgery.  I added generic Zantac at night (to my Nexium every morning) and had GERD symptoms under control.  Now, of course they are pulling all Zantac and Ranitidine off the shelves because of a contaminant that causes cancer.  I swear some days it seems you just can't win!  Anyway, I am pretty sure my insurance won't pay for a revision to bypass, but at the time my hiatal hernia was diagnosed I was just weeks away from a shoulder surgery and I was just not really interested in pursuing another surgical fix of any kind. So, I didn't bother to really investigate the insurance coverage issue thoroughly.  I do know that at some point I need to decide whether to revise to bypass or fix the hernia but I'm just not ready. 

Thanks for the support and suggestions.   I'm strongly considering the revision surgery.  Even though the thought of having to go through the entire process deters me, the benefits of having the revision outweighs the lifetime of GERD, I will surely endure.