PapaDavid

48 hours post-op and feeling normal!

Hi everyone, First, I want to thank you all for the support you’ve given me. It’s been about 48 hours since surgery, and I’m now doing very well. Most of the last two days seems a little like a dream. Which is a small blessing in itself. The day of surgery and half of the next day were spent battling pretty severe gas pains and occasional nausea. Once those subsided, there really wasn’t any pain or discomfort I couldn’t easily tolerate. It was hard to keep up on the water just from being tired more than anything. Now two days out (already) and I’m feeling fairly normal, no pain, drank my protein shake and sipping on crystal light. I really don’t like water. It’s almost like nothing ever happened except the slightly tender incisions. I’m not going to say I didn’t wake up from surgery wondering why I thought this was a good idea and panicking about the loss of food forever! (This is permanent, what was I thinking?!) But those feeling passed (along with the gas), and I was able to come to grips with the help of @Nana Trish, my beautiful wife who gently reminded me of the reasons I did this. Food is not gone forever and and I will be alive to enjoy it, just in reasonable portion sizes. Thus begins my journey to my ideal weight, and a long, happy and healthy life with the woman I owe so much and for whom I would do anything to be with. 

Great news!  We are here to support you. :)

4 hours ago, PapaDavid said:

Hi everyone, First, I want to thank you all for the support you’ve given me. It’s been about 48 hours since surgery, and I’m now doing very well. Most of the last two days seems a little like a dream. Which is a small blessing in itself. The day of surgery and half of the next day were spent battling pretty severe gas pains and occasional nausea. Once those subsided, there really wasn’t any pain or discomfort I couldn’t easily tolerate. It was hard to keep up on the water just from being tired more than anything. Now two days out (already) and I’m feeling fairly normal, no pain, drank my protein shake and sipping on crystal light. I really don’t like water. It’s almost like nothing ever happened except the slightly tender incisions. I’m not going to say I didn’t wake up from surgery wondering why I thought this was a good idea and panicking about the loss of food forever! (This is permanent, what was I thinking?!) But those feeling passed (along with the gas), and I was able to come to grips with the help of @Nana Trish, my beautiful wife who gently reminded me of the reasons I did this. Food is not gone forever and and I will be alive to enjoy it, just in reasonable portion sizes. Thus begins my journey to my ideal weight, and a long, happy and healthy life with the woman I owe so much and for whom I would do anything to be with. 

(She bribed you to write those incredibly nice things, right??  :rolleyes:  Seriously, we think she is wonderful too.)

More seriously - delighted you are doing okay. 

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

(She bribed you to write those incredibly nice things, right??  :rolleyes:  Seriously, we think she is wonderful too.)

More seriously - delighted you are doing okay. 

But of course...I bribed him with fried chicken and apple pie, @BurgundyBoy...

Right, @PapaDavid??

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, though, he is doing FANTASTIC!!

5 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Great news!  We are here to support you. :)

❤️❤️❤️

2 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

But of course...I bribed him with fried chicken and apple pie, @BurgundyBoy...

Right, @PapaDavid??

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, though, he is doing FANTASTIC!!

Oh you’re hitting my sweet spot. You had me at fried chicken. :lol: Lucky for me I’m not hungry in the slightest. 

Sounds like you're off to a great start David - congratulations.

13 hours ago, PapaDavid said:

Oh you’re hitting my sweet spot. You had me at fried chicken. :lol: Lucky for me I’m not hungry in the slightest. 

I know...I’m sorry!!! But I’m glad you’re not hungry in the slightest, or at least you weren’t when you wrote this, lol ❤️

You're doing great with your protein shakes, tea and water!! Keep up the great work, sweetie!!!

Edited by Nana Trish

That is great news! I hope the rest of your recovery goes as smoothly, and without any cravings for fried chicken : )

On 9/28/2019 at 2:16 PM, BrightDay said:

That is great news! I hope the rest of your recovery goes as smoothly, and without any cravings for fried chicken : )

Honestly I’m doing great other than the gas pains in my shoulder blades, I’m drinking all of my liquids as planned and no food cravings! Although food still sounds good, I’m not crawling out of my skin because I can’t have it right now. 

On 9/27/2019 at 9:07 PM, cinwa said:

Sounds like you're off to a great start David - congratulations.

Thank you! I’m feeling great and I have already as of this morning lost 4.8 pounds!

Sounds like you are off to a great start.  I hate plain water.  I hate it room temp and I hate hot tea.  I prefer iced coffee (hated coffee pre op).  Mio flavor drops and the powdered drink sticks are my friends.  Lately I like the wylers lemonade, frozen just to a slushy state.  For a while it was the root beer drink sticks, I was mixing that in vanilla protein shakes..

You are doing great!  

On 10/1/2019 at 4:24 PM, Cheesehead said:

Sounds like you are off to a great start.  I hate plain water.  I hate it room temp and I hate hot tea.  I prefer iced coffee (hated coffee pre op).  Mio flavor drops and the powdered drink sticks are my friends.  Lately I like the wylers lemonade, frozen just to a slushy state.  For a while it was the root beer drink sticks, I was mixing that in vanilla protein shakes..

You are doing great!  

He’s been drinking crystal light and hot decaf tea with a splash of fairlife milk and Splenda in it. I don’t think he’s had any plain water since getting home from the hospital, lol. But he’s getting his 64 ounces in with what he is drinking, and he isn’t having a tough time with it at all! He just started soft foods yesterday...cream of wheat, applesauce, etc. Unfortunately he doesn’t like yogurt, but he did buy 2 singles in flavors he thought he might like to just give it a try.

He’s down 10 pounds since surgery and I think 61 pounds total since the start of his pre op diet. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone get through the early stage of this so easily, lol :) He also went back to work today (already) although he is on light duty for 2 more weeks.